PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back

Amyers
06-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Well I'm back to the site back at work for the first time in eons. I'm not bowling right now due to some medical issues but hope to visit my friends at the alley soon anyway. I'll still be on here to help and answer questions. It's good to see everyone on here again.

bowl1820
06-01-2020, 08:05 PM
Well I'm back to the site back at work for the first time in eons. I'm not bowling right now due to some medical issues but hope to visit my friends at the alley soon anyway. I'll still be on here to help and answer questions. It's good to see everyone on here again.
Welcome back Amyers!!

RobLV1
06-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Welcome back! Hopefully the alleys will start to reopen so there will be some questions to answer! LOL

J Daisy
06-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Welcome back! I, too, am eager to be back at the alleys. Hope your medical condition isn't anything serious!

Amyers
06-02-2020, 12:03 PM
Welcome back! I, too, am eager to be back at the alleys. Hope your medical condition isn't anything serious!

Well I've been diagnosed with stage 4 renal failure they have me on at home dialysis. The doctors say I should be able to return to bowling but I think they are being optimistic until I get a transplant anyway. the important thing is I'm alive and can be around my friends even if I can't get back to 100%.

J Daisy
06-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Well I've been diagnosed with stage 4 renal failure they have me on at home dialysis. The doctors say I should be able to return to bowling but I think they are being optimistic until I get a transplant anyway. the important thing is I'm alive and can be around my friends even if I can't get back to 100%.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm praying for you.

six6guy
06-12-2020, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry to read of your medical issues, hopefully you will be back to the alley soon (once they open).

I myself had a full knee replacement on my left/slide knee August of last year and a surgical revision (thicker meniscus) on the same knee in February of this year. I was hobbling around (and bowling) before the quarantine shut everything down (I continued PT until just last week). I'm now walking more or less okay, but I do have a few residual issues to work through.

Bowling is about to re-open here and California. Once the alleys themselves re-open (next week) we have to call and reserve a pair for open practice. Leagues are each voting to finish as-was or to continue. Each bowler has the option to drop out of league (like as if injured) so their may well be a lot of team re-forming. What a organizational mess, but... I can't wait to bowl once again.

Brad

Ryster
06-12-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry to read of your medical issues, hopefully you will be back to the alley soon (once they open).

I myself had a full knee replacement on my left knee August of last year and a surgical revision (thicker meniscus) February of this year. I was hobbling around (and bowling) before the quarantine shut everything down (I continued PT throughout quarantine until just last week). I'm walking more or less okay, but I do have a few residual issues to work through.

Bowling is about to re-open here and California. Once the alleys do open we have to call and reserve a pair for open practice. Leagues are each voting to finish as-was or to continue, if they start back it will be in 2-3 weeks. Each bowler has the option to drop out of league (like as if injured) so their may well be a lot of team re-forming. What a organizational mess, but I can't wait to bowl once again.

Brad

Let us know what the experience is like. The CA guidelines for bowling alleys are kind of strict, but if they protect everyone that is good.

six6guy
06-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Let us know what the experience is like. The CA guidelines for bowling alleys are kind of strict, but if they protect everyone that is good.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread... but I do think it's going to be a royal mess and I do think they will revise the new rules before long. One team per pair and opposing team on next pair... this says oil pattern breakdowns will be considerably different. We are suppose to wear masks but pretty sure they are not going to enforce when you are up. Tables are under 6 foot, so probably alot of standing. Cards may not be allowed. It's unclear about use of hand sanitizer after each frame. Towels and shams are not mentioned but probably will have to be removed from rack, back pocket maybe. Also it's unclear if the bar will deliver drinks or even be open. Obviously no high fives or touching... There is no way it doesn't change the social aspect of league bowling.

Ryster
06-12-2020, 02:55 PM
I'm not trying to hijack the thread... but I do think it's going to be a royal mess and I do think they will revise the new rules before long. One team per pair and opposing team on next pair... this says oil pattern breakdowns will be considerably different. We are suppose to wear masks but pretty sure they are not going to enforce when you are up. Tables are under 6 foot, so probably alot of standing. Cards may not be allowed. It's unclear about use of hand sanitizer after each frame. Towels and shams are not mentioned but probably will have to be removed from rack, back pocket maybe. Also it's unclear if the bar will deliver drinks or even be open. Obviously no high fives or touching... There is no way it doesn't change the social aspect of league bowling.

USBC has also issued a waiver allowing for sanctioned competition on a single lane. So one team on a lane, skip a lane, next team on a lane, skip a lane, etc. They have also issued a waiver allowing for the use of isopropyl alcohol during competition to allow for continual disinfecting of bowling balls (if you can find any hahahaha)

If they let bowlers remove their masks when they are up, they might as well not even have masks at all. Totally defeats the purpose. I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to bowl after the person that took their mask off to take their turn and then sneezed while at the ball return/on the approach (regardless if it was just due to dust or allergies or whatever.)

Hadn't thought about card games, but agree that should be a no-no. Scoresheets and pencils will be a total cluster. Touch screens/consoles will be a total disaster too, unless the counter will control everything and tell bowlers to see the counter for all score corrections.

six6guy
06-12-2020, 03:32 PM
USBC has also issued a waiver allowing for sanctioned competition on a single lane. So one team on a lane, skip a lane, next team on a lane, skip a lane, etc. They have also issued a waiver allowing for the use of isopropyl alcohol during competition to allow for continual disinfecting of bowling balls (if you can find any hahahaha)

If they let bowlers remove their masks when they are up, they might as well not even have masks at all. Totally defeats the purpose. I wouldn't want to be the guy that has to bowl after the person that took their mask off to take their turn and then sneezed while at the ball return/on the approach (regardless if it was just due to dust or allergies or whatever.)

Hadn't thought about card games, but agree that should be a no-no. Scoresheets and pencils will be a total cluster. Touch screens/consoles will be a total disaster too, unless the counter will control everything and tell bowlers to see the counter for all score corrections.

I've hear that isopropyl alcohol is tough on reactive covers, in particular the Storm tour IQ emeralds. That may not be true, but I switched to an after league practice of reactive cleaner solution anyway. The hand sanitizer would be for my hands, like if I needed to press the reset button or correct the score. I would provide my own squirt dispenser bottle of sanitizer and probable share with my teammates. If USBC doesn't allow sanitizer than 75% of bowlers will quite, or I think they would (I wouldn't bowl without it). Most hand sanitizers are mostly just ethyl alcohol anyway. It would really slow the pace if somebody has to walks to the desk for a re-rack or score correction. Score sheets are not really needed (my opinion) and probable could be removed by vote of league members... or is that also a USBC rule?

Ryster
06-12-2020, 04:02 PM
I've hear that isopropyl alcohol is tough on reactive covers, in particular the Storm tour IQ emeralds. That may not be true, but I switched to an after league practice of reactive cleaner solution anyway. The hand sanitizer would be for my hands, like if I needed to press the reset button or correct the score. I would provide my own squirt dispenser bottle of sanitizer and probable share with my teammates. If USBC doesn't allow sanitizer than 75% of bowlers will quite, or I think they would (I wouldn't bowl without it). Most hand sanitizers are mostly just ethyl alcohol anyway. It would really slow the pace if somebody has to walks to the desk for a re-rack or score correction. Score sheets are not really needed (my opinion) and probable could be removed by vote of league members... or is that also a USBC rule?

Hand sanitizer shouldn't be an issue for the USBC as long as it doesn't get on the ball.

Scoresheets are required for sanctioned leagues. They have to be signed by the team captains at the end of competition and then given to the league secretary. I suppose the counter could print them at the end of bowling and just have the teams sign them, but they are still required.

For open bowling, they are totally unnecessary (and haven't been provided around here to open bowlers for decades.) If open bowlers ever want their scores, they just ask the counter to print their scoresheet for them when they check out.

six6guy
06-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Hand sanitizer shouldn't be an issue for the USBC as long as it doesn't get on the ball.

Scoresheets are required for sanctioned leagues. They have to be signed by the team captains at the end of competition and then given to the league secretary. I suppose the counter could print them at the end of bowling and just have the teams sign them, but they are still required.

For open bowling, they are totally unnecessary (and haven't been provided around here to open bowlers for decades.) If open bowlers ever want their scores, they just ask the counter to print their scoresheet for them when they check out.

Just got a reply from the pro-shop owner who runs the sport league I'm on and a few of the others I'm on, all sanctioned leagues. Hand sanitizer is allowed on hands but is not provided by center. I don't do the score sheet anyway but I thought interesting topic.

Ryster
06-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Just got a reply from the pro-shop owner who runs the sport league I'm on and a few of the others I'm on, all sanctioned leagues. Hand sanitizer is allowed on hands but is not provided by center. I don't do the score sheet anyway but I thought interesting topic.

See, this is where the reopening is already going off the tracks. The center must provide hand sanitizer for customer use per the state of CA's guidelines. If they are not providing hand sanitizer, they are already violating the state's rules.

Per the state of California's industry guidance for family entertainment centers:
"Provide hand sanitizer dispensers throughout activity areas, lobbies, and service areas, for use by customers and employees. Hand sanitizer should be available for customers to use when activity items come into contact with shared surfaces (e.g., golf balls and golf cups, bowling balls and return machinery, etc.).Encourage guests to wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer often while using equipment and items. Remind members of the public (with signs and/or verbally) not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth. Consider providing disposable gloves at each activity area for use by members of the public. Make available a means of disposal at each location where gloves are provided."
https://covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-family-entertainment.pdf

If the bowling alley is not prepared to make hand sanitizer available to customers, they should not be reopening.

six6guy
06-12-2020, 05:34 PM
It all seems pretty fluid. Maybe they are providing sanitizer at the desk. I asked about it at the tables just behind the lanes.

J Anderson
06-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Here in Connecticut the alleys may reopen Wednesday. We have heard from the center that masks will be required in the building except for when you are on the approach. The snack bar will be open but we will have to order from our lanes and the food or beverage will be delivered to us. I plan to just leave my mask on. What little protection the mask affords the wearer would be completely negated by taking it off and putting it back 30 times.

I don’t really see the use of a single lane as a huge problem. Pre-COVID you had ten bowlers sharing two lanes for a total of thirty individual games or fifteen games on each lane. Now we will five bowlers on a single lane for a total of fifteen games. Yes, teams with really good bowlers will be able to manage the oil pattern transition and may put up some really big numbers, but really good bowlers, despite the whining about the handicaps being unfair to them, ALWAYS HAVE AN ADVANTAGE. What’s unfair is that we will not be competing on the same lane and some lanes are better to bowl on than others.

J Daisy
06-14-2020, 07:24 AM

My local alley actually provides hand sanitizer at several points throughout the building. I think it always has. It's a very clean place. It lets the leagues there use it.

Timmyb
06-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Here in WI, we are at 50% capacity, and next Friday we'll go to 75. South Shore has sanitizer everywhere. Only allowed one group per pair. Per WI re-opening, without another flair-up, I think the houses here will be fully open by the time fall league starts. No one has laid down any rules on what league will look like. Bars here are already open for 50%. Our team is going to switch houses this year, so that should add a little confusion for us as well.

Back to the original post, Amyers, my girlfriend is going through the same thing right now. We're at about a year of this, and her brother just started testing to see if he's a match. If not, she's an "O", so we could be in for a long wait. Hope this goes well for you!