PDA

View Full Version : DV8 replacing my cracked ball

boatman37
08-30-2020, 11:21 PM
Picked up the new Glam about 4 or 5 weeks ago. and after about 4 or 5 games noticed it cracking around the thumbhole. Showed the PSO and he took pics and sent them to his rep. He called me the other day and said they agreed to replace it. Good to know they stand behind their products!

bowl1820
08-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Picked up the new Glam about 4 or 5 weeks ago. and after about 4 or 5 games noticed it cracking around the thumbhole. Showed the PSO and he took pics and sent them to his rep. He called me the other day and said they agreed to replace it. Good to know they stand behind their products!

Awesome to hear they are replacing it, Did the thumbhole have a IT (switchgrip) or slug just curious?

boatman37
08-31-2020, 10:59 PM
Awesome to hear they are replacing it, Did the thumbhole have a IT (switchgrip) or slug just curious?

Yep, IT switch grip. And yeah my thoughts were maybe something went wrong when installing the switch grip but they are replacing it either way so.

boatman37
09-03-2020, 01:12 PM
So talked to my PSO the other night and he said I can go with any ball I wanted but would have to pay an difference in price. He mentioned the Brunswick Ignitor pearl so we are going with that one. He is going to lay it out the same as the Glam. The Glam was working god for me later when the line was burned up. He drilled it weaker. We never got my stats so he drilled it pin above the middle finger where my others are pin above the ring finger or even shorter. If any of this is wrong tell him not me...lol. I just told him I wanted to use it for drier conditions so thats how he drilled it and said it was a weaker layout than the Uppercut was. And whatever it was it was doing what I wanted it to. I still have the Rhino if I need an even weaker ball.

From what I read the Ignitor looks very similar to the Glam in terms of RG and overall motion. Should be good. Going to order my wife an 8lb Twist too. I tried to talk her into something heavier but she refuses. Hard to find an 8 lb'er that isn't plastic. She throws straight and fingers forward so it doesn't roll very nice but she is happy with it. I have tried to help her but she says if I bug her she will quit...lol

Aslan
09-09-2020, 05:31 PM
DV8 replaced my Thug Life with a new Grudge Hybrid when the Thug Life cracked. It hadn't been drilled yet and I think was either just under the warranty or just over the warranty. Either way, they were cool about it. They have one of the better warranties in the business.

boatman37
09-09-2020, 08:16 PM
Yeah not sure how long it had sat on the shelf. That was the whole reason for the raffle. The PSO had just got a shipment in the day before they shut down for COVID so he decided to do the raffle to get some money back and get rid of equipment that might be old by the time we re-opened. So the ball arrived at the pro shop at least as far back as mid-March. I got it June 30th but I only had about 5 games on it before I noticed it. PSO said I could get whatever brand I wanted. I was going to go with another Glam but he started talking about the Brunswick Ignitor and thought it might be a little better for what I was looking for so we are going with that.

Stormed1
09-09-2020, 11:12 PM
Back when I had my pro shop I did a couple raffles a month. It was a way to get new customers in the shop.

Aslan
09-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Back when I had my pro shop I did a couple raffles a month. It was a way to get new customers in the shop.

Yeah. Pro shop owners LOVE ball raffles. We had a couple centers that would do raffles quite often, during leagues. Especially if new releases were coming out.

Most of these shops are tiny and they need room for new arrivals. So, send around the kid at the counter with some tickets, raffle off a couple balls in each league. The pro shop probably makes back more than the cost of the ball...easy...and still makes the money on the drilling and probably some bonus money on accessories and foot traffic. Plus, if you're not 100% thrilled with that particular ball...he/she has a whole shop full of balls they'd be happy to swap in/out for the one you just won (for a marginal fee)...not to mention some sweet new releases coming out soon.

It's a really great sales technique. If I had a pro shop. I'd be raffling balls in every league at LEAST once every few months if not more often.

boatman37
09-10-2020, 01:04 PM
our PSO does free drilling if you buy or win from him. He does charge for inserts but the drilling is included

boatman37
09-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Texted PSO and he said my new Ignitor is ready and wifes new Twist is ready also. I will probably be headed to Texas Monday morning for a few days so was planning to pre-bowl Saturday so going to try to pick them up then. Still have to order a bag and shoes for wife.
https://i.postimg.cc/G2gjFw6W/Ignitor.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CBDD0th7)

boatman37
09-12-2020, 01:22 PM
Picked up the new ball today. It was weaker than the Glam but that isn't a bad thing, just need to figure out what it wants. One insert popped out 1/2 way through and landed down lane...lol. PSO said he had been having some trouble with that glue so re-glued it with a new tube. Tried using the new Igniter all 3 games but kept leaving 7 pins. Might hit it with a 3000 to knock the polish off and see if that helps. I don't usually work well with polished finishes. I struggled with the Glam at first too then hit it with a 3000 and it was perfect.

Ryster
09-13-2020, 04:03 PM
It always takes a few games to "break in" a new ball. Sounds like you were getting it to the pocket, you just need to fine tune that entry angle to kick out the corner pin.

I finally threw my DV8 Pitbull in practice a few weeks ago. Factory finish is 500/1000 siaair. A little too aggressive. It was leaving constant corner pins. Had to play so deep with it to keep it in the pocket, it was just burning up by the time it hit the pocket. Going to hit it with some Crown Factory Compound to polish it up slightly and get it to store a little bit of energy. Meanwhile I have taken it out of my bag until I get time to adjust the surface. I had it for 8 months before ever throwing it, so no need to worry about getting it back on the lanes in a hurry.

Brunswick's 500/1000 with compound finish is a really reliable surface prep for me. Seems to work on multiple different lane conditions.

Ryster
09-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Took some time last night and got the surface on my Pitbull updated to 500/1000 plus Crown Factory Compound. Looks a lot more usable and less like a "snow tire". Next time I go in to practice I will take it along and see how it reacts. If it stores a little more energy going thru the mids, it will be much better. If I recall, I had to do a similar surface change on my DV8 Endless Nightmare to make it more usable. I really miss that Endless Nightmare, it was amazing. I got a few years out of it before it split all the way around.

boatman37
09-16-2020, 06:32 PM
Threw the new Igniter on the spinner today. I seem to have 7 pin issues with OOB polished balls. I struggled with the DV8 the first couple of weeks and didn't like it. Used the Igniter Saturday and left a few 7's and a few 6's. Threw it on the spinner and took it down to 500 then worked it up to 3000 and loved it. Just did the same with the Igniter. Will see if that helps.

boatman37
09-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Loved that Igniter at 3000 today. Threw a clean 228 with it. Left a 6 pin, 5 pin, and 2 7's with it. The 6 pin was a good pocket hit just slightly high. The 5 pin was a high hit and the 2 7's were good pocket hits. But all-in-all I like it. Oh, had another insert go flying today. PSO re-glued it. Never have lost an insert but have twice with this ball. Maybe it was a new glue? Not enough glue? Dunno. But the 5 pin I left was the frame after he re-glued it and it was in my head.