PDA

View Full Version : Help!

shaf
02-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm so new I feel intimidated to even ask basic questions. I've just got my first ball.. very entry level columbia scout 15 lb. I've seen so many different deliveries where some bowlers' hand stay behind the ball and put action.. some are on the side upon release and put action.. whats the surefire way to get good action with minimal torque on the wrist? I find that I'm constantly twisting and turning my wrist to get a good handle on the ball to create minimal revs. I've got a four step approach.

Shaf

ps does anyone have a video link that illustrates technique/form really well in terms of the swing and the release?

bowl1820
02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Here's a place to start.

Fred Borden on a Good Release-
http://www.bowling200.com/bowlingvideos/release.html

The KingPin
02-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm so new I feel intimidated to even ask basic questions. I've just got my first ball.. very entry level columbia scout 15 lb. I've seen so many different deliveries where some bowlers' hand stay behind the ball and put action.. some are on the side upon release and put action.. whats the surefire way to get good action with minimal torque on the wrist? I find that I'm constantly twisting and turning my wrist to get a good handle on the ball to create minimal revs. I've got a four step approach.

Shaf

ps does anyone have a video link that illustrates technique/form really well in terms of the swing and the release?

Hello, let me first say thatI NEVER want you to feel intimidated. No question is to ever feel to small or too large. You are now a member of the BEST bowling forum family around. So please ask away.

To answer your question. When I first started learning I used a wrist brace. And it held my hand in position. I will say it made me feel weird. I used a mongoose for a while and then a Storm Bowling brace. It helped me very much.

So that is just a thought.

Chris

11 in a row
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Shaf

staying under the ball and coming out of it from the back of the ball is very key to a good release..
in otherwords you want forward roll.i use a brace as well it helps keep my wrist locked ..when i started bowling i didn,t have a brace but now i don,t go without it it helps a great deal too with revs and a consistent release too.i use the mongoose optium

Jord_84
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I hold my ball at a 3 O'clock position with my hand at the side. I've tried both the side position and staying behind the ball...and holding it at a side position, for me, has been easier on my wrist. I also feel I'm more consistent with the side position, and I also use a glove to avoid moving my wrist. I use the "Revs I" from Robby Revs, http://www.robbys.com/positioners.php - great glove...it adjusts to 4 positions to increase or decrease revs.

shaf
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Great tips guys, I am still having some issues with staying behind the ball and turning my hand at the end to create the right axis for hooking. I then decided to try keeping my thumb pointed inwards and to release from the side of the ball. It took some adjustment with my footing but I starting really hitting the pocket and averaged around 165 for the last 3 of the 11 games I played last night. Of course I had something like 9 beers to give me the added confidence and pain relief after going to the gym right before. I plan to experiment with the side release and slowly start from positions closer to behind the ball. Cheers.

joerevs300
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Shaf,

There are 3 major types of releases that you can make in bowling...

A "zero" degree release has you following through the ball with no side rotation whatsoever. This is used primarily if you want "end over end" rotation (a down-and-in shot) or are shooting flat and hard at spare (a 10 pin for example).

A "45 degree" release will have your hand pointing the ball at around 10-11 O'Clock in your address. This is the most common release found in bowling. It allows for controllable reaction, and a variety of styles to play the lane based on wrist position, ball layout and speed.

A "90 degree" release will have your hand pointing the ball at around 9 O'Clock at address. I usually use this when I am trying to push my ball further down the line. This one definitely takes practice and I wouldn't recommend using this in most league situations. It's way too easy to really top the ball, or miss your mark because your armswing/release are off.

The best advice I can give you is make sure the other areas of your game (address, footwork, follow through, armswing) are solid before you start really worrying about your release. Learn to get your spares and the strikes will come. Find a certified USBC instructor who can use CATS to really show you what to work on, and will give you a video so you can watch.

Best of luck to you as you are learning to bowl, and don't feel embarassed to ask questions! Even though I'm above 210, I am ALWAYS wanting to learn and improve my game.

Joe C.

shaf
03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Joe, I will work on aspects other than the release. I can definitely understand the release in my mind its just putting into action that's difficult. You're probably right in that my other skills need more work in order to set myself up for a great release. Appreciate the help!

Shaf

11 in a row
03-05-2009, 02:12 PM
also remember don,t do too much cause your thought process will confuse you ....go with what you know and then work on it when you can..

don,t do too much....gradually work it into your game...

messenger87
09-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Dude, we all started out like that. No reason to feel intimidated. I found for me that just putting my hand on the side of that ball all the way through the release got some pretty good revs without moving the wrist a whole lot. If you wanna get more revs with a little more wrist action. Gradually start to put your hand underneath the ball till you get that feel that works best for you.

Beech
09-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Ya dont fell intimidated I remember my first toruny and i was bowling for 4 years going into it, first round I get paired up with one of the BEST bowlers in my town I felt as if we where ganna get laughed at me and my partner. He actually helped me out with my ball if you trying to bowl with a curve i have a scout reactive that was my first reactive ball and now i could never go back to it. But ya my tip for you is what i learned to first bowl was on your backswing as the balls coming up release it at ur ancle almost and to turn your hand as if ur shaking hands a 1/4 turn and you should get decent revs well i did atleast but ya good luck this is a good site to come to.