PDA

View Full Version : Man rolls 300 with altered ball?

boatman37
05-23-2021, 09:57 PM
So wife read on Facebook today that some guy had his fathers ashes inserted into his ball then rolled a 300 with it first time out. Would that even be legal for USBC use? Not sure how true it is but it came from Facebook so has to be...lol. Maybe as long as the weights are within spec it would be legal? Either way it is a cool story

https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/man-fills-bowling-ball-with-dads-ashes-bowls-perfect-game/

Ryster
05-24-2021, 08:52 AM
So wife read on Facebook today that some guy had his fathers ashes inserted into his ball then rolled a 300 with it first time out. Would that even be legal for USBC use? Not sure how true it is but it came from Facebook so has to be...lol. Maybe as long as the weights are within spec it would be legal? Either way it is a cool story

https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/man-fills-bowling-ball-with-dads-ashes-bowls-perfect-game/

When I first saw the story, I immediately thought the same thing. Technically, this ball would be totally illegal.

No foreign materials may be placed in a hole prior to plugging. Additionally, the density of human ashes do not fall in to the density range of plug material specified by the USBC for plug material. Also, the USBC states that "Plugs and designs must be made of material like, although not the same as, the original material out of which the ball was made." Mixing human ashes with plug material creates a material not like what a ball is constructed of, which makes it illegal.

It's a great human interest story and seems like an innocent enough tribute to his father, however from a technical perspective the 300 rolled with the ball cannot be certified if bowled on a sanctioned league. Although, the USBC probably isn't checking as closely as they used to.

bowl1820
05-24-2021, 06:02 PM

Technically the ball would be illegal for certified competition, But Judging by the video that particular 300 appears to have been bowled during open bowling. So it doesn't matter if the ball was legal or not.

RobLV1
05-24-2021, 06:47 PM
Has it really come to this?

Aslan
05-31-2021, 03:41 PM
I'm just annoyed that yet ANOTHER person has rolled a 300 and I'm no closer to it than I ever have been!

doctiller
08-27-2021, 09:53 AM
I'm just annoyed that yet ANOTHER person has rolled a 300 and I'm no closer to it than I ever have been!

to make it worse: A dead man, literally rolled a 300...

GrumpyCatFace
08-27-2021, 10:18 AM

Lol same. Seems like everybody can do it now

J Anderson
08-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Lol same. Seems like everybody can do it now

Except for me and Aslan

boatman37
08-27-2021, 10:18 PM
Except for me and Aslan

and me