PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal

Timmyb
09-17-2021, 08:20 AM
Okay, I'm likely to ruffle a feather or two here, but There's something I've never been able to wrap my head around. I have 3 balls (outside of a spare) in my arsenal. One doesn't even make it with me during the week, simply because I don't want to lug an extra 20 pounds due to my shoulder. I see guys with 2, 3, or 4, times the arsenal I have. I can hold a 210-ish average on any house shot using the same ball all night. I'm not trying to slap myself on the back, just noting this. Is there something to be said for learning to use the same ball? Is there confusion that sets in when you bring 6 pieces of equipment with you, and try all of them? Maybe it's how I was introduced to the sport some 50-odd years ago, but I never even started bring more than one "main" ball until about 5 years ago, and one always seems to stay in the bag. Inquiring minds want to know.

SRB57
09-17-2021, 09:02 AM
Okay, I'm likely to ruffle a feather or two here, but There's something I've never been able to wrap my head around. I have 3 balls (outside of a spare) in my arsenal. One doesn't even make it with me during the week, simply because I don't want to lug an extra 20 pounds due to my shoulder. I see guys with 2, 3, or 4, times the arsenal I have. I can hold a 210-ish average on any house shot using the same ball all night. I'm not trying to slap myself on the back, just noting this. Is there something to be said for learning to use the same ball? Is there confusion that sets in when you bring 6 pieces of equipment with you, and try all of them? Maybe it's how I was introduced to the sport some 50-odd years ago, but I never even started bring more than one "main" ball until about 5 years ago, and one always seems to stay in the bag. Inquiring minds want to know.

I am with you on this one. I take four ball with me to league 1 weak asymmetrical 1 strong asymmetrical 1 weaker symmetrical and a plastic spare ball. On the house shot I am on it's a matter of keeping the ball in that one area and following the transition. I see guys dragging in 2 3 ball rollers which would be confusing to me. But to each there own. I just try to be accurate on hitting my spot and hope I carry (don't have the speed or power I once had). Plus make your spares!!! I watched a guy on the other team miss 5 ten pins last night. Don't get me wrong I will switch if I don't see the ball going through the pins right on a good shot but for the most part use one ball all night and chase it in. Steve

Aslan
09-17-2021, 11:03 AM
It depends how people assemble an arsenal or if they choose to have one at all.

A lot of guys show up with one ball in an old 1970s single-ball bag. Most "fun league" bowlers either have one or two balls at most.

Most competitive bowlers choose to bring 6 (5 strike and a spare) because they carry two 3-ball tournament roller bags and thats how many fit. Other guys carry 4 (3 strike and a spare) because they have a 4-ball roller bag. I think most people limit what they bring to the bags they use. It's a pain to bring more balls than you have ball space for in your bag(s). I only do that if I'm bowling in a longer tournament. Likewise, most guys will fill whatever bag(s) they have.

I have a 4-ball roller and a joey so I have a 5-ball capacity. A 6-ball roller bag was enormously expensive and too big to carry up and down stairs. I've thought of going to two 3-ball rollers...but I live in the Midwest now where snow is an issue and those 3-ball tournament bags tend to have smaller wheels and don't do well outside. Besides, I "usually" only go through 3 strike balls and a spare ball. I rarely use the 5th ball I bring. I doubt I'd ever use a 6th ball. There's just not enough time in practice to go though that many options and lanes generally don't transition that much to go through 5 strike balls in 3 games on 2 lanes...even with 5-man teams.

Cdolcejr
09-17-2021, 02:06 PM

I like to be prepared for all situations, so I bring 4 balls (3 strike balls and a spare) with me on any given night. Not only is that how many I can fit in my bag, but I also believe you don’t really need more than that for a typical league night on a THS unless you’re bowling on a second shift or something like that.

Two of my strike balls are strong; one is a dull solid in case the lanes are tight, and one is shiny pearl in case the lanes are hooking. One of these stays in the bag all night depending on the lane conditions. My third strike ball is a solid, shiny, and “weaker” ball that I pull out if Ball 1 or 2 lose their carry.

What ball I use and how many balls I use on a given night is dictated by the lanes and how they are playing. If I’m in Game 3 and still using Ball 1 with good results, I’ll probably finish the night with it. I don’t usually use more than 2 strike balls per night. I consider that overkill unless the lanes are playing very strange.

Most people that bring and use a lot of balls in league are trying to substitute equipment for skill. They will change balls on a whim if things aren’t working. In my opinion, it’s much less expensive to practice and learn how to make your ball do different things rather than buying a ton of balls. If you are versatile enough, you might be able to stick with the same ball all night.

boatman37
09-17-2021, 02:42 PM
I have a 4 ball roller so fill it just so it won't be unbalanced but 90% of the nights only come out of the bag...my Uppercut for fresh, my Igniter for when they start to dry up and my spare ball. The other is a polished ball in case they get extreme. I do have another 4 ball roller that stays at the center that is full. The only reason I have 2 is that the old one's handle broke so I just leave it there with my old balls in it. I have 2 more aggressive balls with more surface in there in case I enter a sport shot tournament and have 2 weaker balls with less surface but those 4 rarely ever come out of the bag. In fact I probably haven't thrown any of those in about a year. If I had all 8 out every night I would be so lost and confused...lol

RobLV1
09-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Note to everyone:

How about thinking about your bowling balls in terms of rolling early or going long, rather than weak or strong. Our society tells us that strong is good and weak is bad. In terms of bowling, there is no weak ball or strong ball, only the right ball or the wrong ball.

In terms of what to bring to league on a house shot, four balls are plenty, as long as one of them is a plastic spare ball.

boatman37
09-17-2021, 09:12 PM
Note to everyone:

How about thinking about your bowling balls in terms of rolling early or going long, rather than weak or strong. Our society tells us that strong is good and weak is bad. In terms of bowling, there is no weak ball or strong ball, only the right ball or the wrong ball.

In terms of what to bring to league on a house shot, four balls are plenty, as long as one of them is a plastic spare ball.

That's a little hard to do. Most of us on here understand that but I promise about 60% of those in my league would have no idea what I was talking about...lol. I was talking to a guy on my team and was hitting my BWG with my P5000 pad and he asked me what I had in my hand. When I told him he asked why in the world I was using it on my ball...lol

For the record I never threw that ball that night be the week before I struggled on dry lanes and that ball was at the center so I couldn't throw it on my spinner but did hit it with a 1000 and Motiv 5000 polish the next day on my spinner. Haven't tried it yet but in case we hit the Sahara Desert again I probably won't...lol

SRB57
09-18-2021, 07:59 AM
Note to everyone:

That's how I look at it although I said weak and strong. I use whatever works that day which the beginning of this season is my Nuclear Cell. I looked at something new in the roto line but nothing looked that different than what I have now.

Talking about tilt and rotation what is considered high tilt/rotation and low tilt/rotation? Steve

Phonetek
09-19-2021, 12:53 PM
On the original post. I can agree with doing different things to try to stick with one strike ball rather than whipping out a different one every few frames.

There are so many adjustments that can be made that unless it's just a lost cause and it's just not working no matter what. I think people just moving left and moving right on the lane or approach are all you can do. Maybe a quick surface change. That don't work time to switch balls.

They tend to forget about things like wrist position, finger position, moving closer or farther from the foul line. Setting up higher and lower. Strap on a wrist band or remove it. All of which are pretty easy to do. They are too quick to blame the ball than actually analyze what is going on. Everyone wants a quick fix so grab a different ball.

J Anderson
09-19-2021, 02:58 PM
On the original post. I can agree with doing different things to try to stick with one strike ball rather than whipping out a different one every few frames.

There are so many adjustments that can be made that unless it's just a lost cause and it's just not working no matter what. I think people just moving left and moving right on the lane or approach are all you can do. Maybe a quick surface change. That don't work time to switch balls.

They tend to forget about things like wrist position, finger position, moving closer or farther from the foul line. Setting up higher and lower. Strap on a wrist band or remove it. All of which are pretty easy to do. They are too quick to blame the ball than actually analyze what is going on. Everyone wants a quick fix so grab a different ball.

Surface change would have to be very quick and before competition starts.

I’ve seen my share of bowlers randomly changing balls, mostly on the house shot in the middle of the second game.

Phonetek
09-19-2021, 06:31 PM
Surface change would have to be very quick and before competition starts.

True but you get what I'm saying

Timmyb
09-22-2021, 07:17 PM

Last night started leaving left-side pins. I did not adjust side to side. I moved back 6" on the approach, and started killing them again. It was the only move I made all night. I'm usually the only guy parked out by 1st arrow.

boatman37
09-22-2021, 07:25 PM
Last night started leaving left-side pins. I did not adjust side to side. I moved back 6" on the approach, and started killing them again.

One of my teammates commented last night that they had tried a few things that didn't work so make either a forward or rearward adjustment and it fixed it. Not sure what pins he was having issues with but could guess it was the 10 pin since alot of people had issues with corner pins last night

Aslan
09-23-2021, 11:12 AM
In order of preference, when it comes to adjustments, I prefer:

1) Lateral Adjustment
2) Vertical Targeting Adjustment
3) Ball Change
4) Position on Approach (speed change)

Reasoning:

1. Lateral adjustments are fairly easy based on what you leave..as long as you made a decent shot and hit your target. Now, leaving flat 10s or 7-pins (for a righty) are the exception to that...as those pins can have multiple causes that can't be addressed by lateral moves...but otherwise...lateral moves fix almost everything.

2. Simply moving your target out or in will result in the same thing as moving forward or back in the approach...without changing your ball speed. If you feel like your lateral move left was a "little" too early/aggressive...you can move your target in to compensate. If you feel like the ball is starting to deflect a bit but you're not quite ready for a ball change or can't make a ball change...you can push your target out and get the ball out further onto the lane...keep it from interacting with the lane surface until further out...retaining more energy for the pocket.

3. If you have moved left and are now hitting weak...it's time to ball down. It's that simple. No need to change lines (other than minor adjustment to account for ball to ball variations that you can't get rid of with surfacing)...you just need a ball that isn't going to lose energy on the line you are playing.

4. The reason I put approach changes last is that approach changes will often lead to speed changes...and possbibly timing changes. And, if your timing goes...you're done.

If I want to reduce speed, I move up about one foot on the approach. Since the foul line is now closer...I naturally have to take shorter steps to get there and my speed drops 0.5 to 2.0 mph. If I move back on the approach to where I used to start from...the furthest point back on the approach...I take much bigger steps with a much longer slide and my speed increases 1.5-4.5mph. Granted, at 19.0-20.0mph, with a 240rpm rev rate, all I do is make a very loud noise and then shoot the spare. :mad:

Most bowlers don't realize it, but usually when they take that step back to stop leaving 10-pins...they are actually increasing their speed to stop leaving 10-pins. Their body is programmed to slide at the foul line...regardless of where you start on the approach. So, they move back...longer travel distance in the same time means more speed is required. More ball speed means less loss of energy....which means more carry when the ball ultimately hits the pocket.

I attempt to achieve the same feat by NOT messing with my speed...staying in the same place on the approach...but changing my target OUT...about 2 feet. Since my eyes move out...the ball will naturally lay down further out...that means less time interacting with the lane surface...retaining more energy...more carry, same end result.

The key with BOTH adjustments is not to change your swing and to keep your timing the same. Especially with my adjustment...I have to make sure I'm not "lofting" the ball out to the target...that I'm simply letting the ball naturally lay down further out.

J Anderson
09-23-2021, 07:03 PM
Most bowlers don't realize it, but usually when they take that step back to stop leaving 10-pins...they are actually increasing their speed to stop leaving 10-pins. Their body is programmed to slide at the foul line...regardless of where you start on the approach. So, they move back...longer travel distance in the same time means more speed is required. More ball speed means less loss of energy....which means more carry when the ball ultimately hits the pocket.

I attempt to achieve the same feat by NOT messing with my speed...staying in the same place on the approach...but changing my target OUT...about 2 feet. Since my eyes move out...the ball will naturally lay down further out...that means less time interacting with the lane surface...retaining more energy...more carry, same end result.

The key with BOTH adjustments is not to change your swing and to keep your timing the same. Especially with my adjustment...I have to make sure I'm not "lofting" the ball out to the target...that I'm simply letting the ball naturally lay down further out.

Not everyone is attuned to slide to or plant at the foul line. When Chris Forry told me to move up on the approach my toes wound up at least six inches past the foul line. Some people will actually stop further back from the line when moving back on the approach.

When you get the ball to “lay down further out” you are lofting the ball. It sounds as if you’re doing it right. Many bowlers do it wrong by delaying their release so the ball has an initial upward trajectory, wasting energy. The right way is to use less knee bend.

boatman37
09-23-2021, 08:18 PM
I stop about 18" behind the foul line no matter where I start. Tried getting closer but think it's a mental thing. Can't make myself get closer. A guy in our league that averages about 215 stops about 6' before the foul line and rolls it across the foul line. No idea why but it works for him.

boomer
09-24-2021, 10:27 AM
same here - even starting at the dots, I end about 12-14" from the line.

My vertical adjustment is 2" increments - not enough to speed me up but enough to move me in the pocket.

RobLV1
09-24-2021, 01:37 PM
For those who always end up the same distance from the foul line, it's really important NOT to use moving up or back on the approach. You will mess up your timing. Think instead of setting the ball shorter or getting it a little further out on the lane. The result will be the same as moving up or back, but your timing will remain intact.

Aslan
09-29-2021, 10:06 AM
Not everyone is attuned to slide to or plant at the foul line. When Chris Forry told me to move up on the approach my toes wound up at least six inches past the foul line. Some people will actually stop further back from the line when moving back on the approach.
True. What I was saying is....whereever you usually end up...'usually' you will continue to end up there no matter where you start on the approach. People don't move up in the approach and end up releasing the ball on the lanes...or they foul and fall down. Ouch. They automatically adjust...or at least "will eventually" adjust. Same for moving backwards. You don't move back to the edge of the approach and then release the ball 10 feet back by the ball return. Usually...usually...you adjust. And, as a basic concept of the laws of Physics...to cover a different distance in a same/similar time...one must increase/decrease velocity (person, not ball).

When you get the ball to “lay down further out” you are lofting the ball. It sounds as if you’re doing it right. Many bowlers do it wrong by delaying their release so the ball has an initial upward trajectory, wasting energy. The right way is to use less knee bend.
Thats the KEY. You're right. When I first experimented with moving my target vertically...I found myself trying to toss the ball to a spot further out or just dropping it. The key is to keep the same timing and release...but just move your eyes vertically. And yes...trying to loft it out ONTO a target...will cause that upward trajectory. Will it "waste energy"? Maybe. You also have to factor in that the ball will be lofted out to a spot further out on the lanes...thus interacting with the friction for less time...thus conserving energy. The friction in the air is far, far less than the friction on the lane...even in oil. But, for ME...lofting upwards causes the ball to hook sooner because it throws off my usual axis tilt and rotation. The ball ends up more spinning sideways than "behind the ball"...so the conservation in energy I gain by lofting it further out is eaten up by the altered release. But, if you do it "right"...you don't have that problem. Mika Koivuniemi was really good at getting the ball further out on the lane without "chucking it". I miss having him on the tour.

For those who always end up the same distance from the foul line, it's really important NOT to use moving up or back on the approach. You will mess up your timing. Think instead of setting the ball shorter or getting it a little further out on the lane. The result will be the same as moving up or back, but your timing will remain intact.

See...Rob and I DO agree on things from time to time.