PDA

View Full Version : not enough side rotation

mgame2k
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Like so many other people. When I was younger I didn't have this problem. Stop bowling while going to night school. Decided to come to bowling in 07. It seemed like I had to start over again. Minus the conventional grip. I came back to bowling only being able to roll a straight.

Over the months I practiced as much as I could. The owner was very cool and let me bowl free. I eventually got my hook back. However, I now have a death grip on the ball which I'm thinking is the reason I don't get enough side rotation. Sure the ball hooks a bit, but I'm sure it could be better. I don't have a camera at the moment to show where my track is.

I'm a right hander. The track is next to the finger 1st two rotations are over the thumb hole then is clears on the last 3 rotations.

I'm not looking for perfection. I just what I had in the past.

Thanks

PSBA10
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
A death grip on the ball is never a good thing. It causes all sorts of problems. The primary cause of a death grip is the feeling you are going to loose the ball. If this is the case, it is probably not drilled corectly for you. I suggest you find a good pro shop and have the ball fited to your hand.

You want a completely free arm swing. Any tension at all either in the hand or arm will cause you to "muscle" the ball. This is counterproductive to a good clean release.

JerseyJim
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
If the drilling is correct on the ball, sometimes it's a matter of adding a piece or two of tape. At the beginning of the night, I check every ball that I have with me whether I think I'm going to use it or not. I add, or remove tape from the thumb to get a decent feel.

BXTECH
03-13-2009, 04:47 AM
From reading the post i might be 1 of 2 things:
1)your naturally a high tracker and the driller didn't drill the ball corrtectly for you, or
2) you could be over rotating your wrist causing the ball to flare over the thumbholes.
the "death grip" is a term i never heard, so is the grip too loose or tight?
since 2 flare rings track over your thumb does the same amount go over the finger?
I'm not a professional just an avid learner!