PDA

View Full Version : buying bowling balls

shaf
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I noticed that the proshop i just bought a ball from has pretty high prices compared to what i've seen online. does anyone recommend buying a performance ball online, getting it shipped, and then drilled at a local pro shop? if anyone has done this how much does shipping usually work out to.. keeping in mind that I'm in canada.

Sam
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
With bowlingball.com shipping is usually free. And it all depends on how much your pro shop charges to drill a ball. With mine, the price is built into a ball, and locally its 60 bucks period, so, with some balls after the internet price and drilling, the pro shop is actually cheaper, but with others, you save money. It just varies from ball to ball.

JerseyJim
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Buddies pro shop does a pretty decent job of drilling. If you send them a ball with a drilling that you like, they will match it to the new ball. And ship both back to you. The shipping is free. Drilling is $50 with inserts, and thumb slug. However you have to know what type of drilling you want. My local pro shops are a bit more expensive, but it helps that both ball drillers that I use have seen me bowl. They can usually make a recommendation based on their observations. You can't get that online.

The Bowling Guru
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
My pro shop tends to be on the pricey side, but I have a good reputation with them. It would actually pay for me to buy the ball in the shop, rather than to buy it online and then have it shipped and drilled, which costs $67. When I buy it in the shop, I usually get discounts or some free stuff, so I tend to take that road.

11 in a row
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
i,ve ordered balls from bowlingball.com and bowlingindex.com and shipping was free with bowlingball.com and from bowlingindex it wasn,t...... the price to drill it up from my local proshop they charge regular price for drilling and if you were to buy from the proshop they will work the drilling in with the ball with the purchase..so i would say if the guys in your local proshop knows you well and knows how you roll the ball maybe they can put something together for you that way instead of buying from the internet... i choose to support my local proshop and i will buy a ball at nationals too...i do both..
and other times scott will just give me a great deal on one with the drilling included...and like others support your local proshops..

shaf
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm leaning towards buying my next ball online.. at my local pro shop they are charging around 250-260 CAD for the Cell whereas I'm seeing it on bowlingball.com for around 125-130. I think the main issue here in toronto is that there aren't alot of pro shops around. I could be wrong. I would definately get it drilled here as the guy who does the drilling at my local proshop is excellent and he charges around $30 cad if you bring an outside ball + cost for inserts which is like 4 bucks. Thanks for all the feedback guys...

The Bowling Guru
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I actually bought my first cell online for $109 shipped, and then it cost me $67 to drill it at my shop. I just recently bought another one directly from my shop and paid amost $210 for it. Online is the way to go sometimes.

joerevs300
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
One thing to understand is a bowling ball is the #1 money maker for most pro shops. Online retailers can buy in bulk and therefore offer it at a lesser cost.

I agree with one of the posters, you cannot replace a qualified pro shop proprietor who knows what they are doing, who can watch you bowl, know your bowling style, and give you the right drilling. If you get one drilled online, there are a number of things that can go wrong (one in particular: your thumbhole fit) and you can't exactly ship it back to them to fix it.

Now, if you're in an area where you don't have a good option in terms of a pro shop then yes, going the online route is great. But personally, if you can find a fair pro shop and a great ball driller, I would stick with them.

kakcpa
03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd rather spend the extra dough and give my guy the business . My second dimension that I just bought was $200 including finger inserts and grips. I called him thursday as I had a tournament on sat. It was ready friday. My guy knows my game and he knows my game and its a great fit everytime. I have nothing against getting a ball online if that's what you believe in.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
The only issue with having a ball sent off to be drilled is that unless that person drilling the ball actually did the measuring then it could end up incorrect. Not all proshops/ ball drillers measure the same way. some measure from cut to cut (edge of each hole) while others measure from center of the hole (where the tip of the drillbit will go).. Some dont take into consideration that when using a lift grip that it adds about a 1/4 of an inch to the span depending on the grip size. All of these factors can cause a span to be too long or too short and end up hurting your game in the long run. Im not saying its a bad thing to have it shipped liek that to be drilled but just watch out. It would really suck to have that brand new ball plugged and redrilled due to incorrect span.. Not only will it cost more, but who really wants a plug in a new ball? lol

JaxBowlingGuy
04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
as for buying online or in a proshop.... Its really up to your proshops price and you opinion. The proshops will usually have the ball in stock with the pin, top weight and weight that are good for all around drilling... But on your bigger online store you can request all of this and Ill use bowling.com as an example (because that where i get all my equipment).. I requested a certain pin and top weight for a ball that i was going to be drilling negative for the drier lanes.. Well they had the pin i requested but not the top weight. They picked up the phone and called me to let me know that info and gave me the TW they had with the pin i requested. then asked me which I would perfer. If you can get a site that will do that for you then they will have my business. Then when it comes to drilling, alot of times atleast here if you continue to give the proshop business with bringing balls to drill they will start to work with you on prices. I always buy online and take it to my driller. The proshop price is $50 to drill + $10 for inserts.... I pay $40 drilled with inserts.. So just talk to them and sometimes they will work with you.

MH1313
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
I prefer to buy from the pro shop, just due to the fact of a faster turn around should something happen to the ball warranty wise...

My local pro-shop is really good, he is fast, and fair with the pricing. I picked up a used ball from a friend, and drilling and inserts cost me a wopping $20.00...can't beat that!

ebowler
04-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I agree that your local Pro Shop is the way to go. Sure, you can save a few bucks on line, but if you buy from the pro shop, he can watch you roll a game and then recommend the ball that would work best for your style of bowling

He is always there to answers questions and help fine tune your game, at least my guy is. So I believe that over all, you get the most bang for your buck by supporting your local shop.

jaws1945
04-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree, it depends on the ball. I look for balls online that are on a special price. Pro shops usually charge $60-70 for drilling with thumb and finger inserts, so if the ball is discounted you probably will save a few bucks. The last ball I bought was through the pro shop. I told him of the price online, and he came as close as he could to matching. The total cost was about $10 more overall, but I had the ball right away.

MH1313
04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
He is always there to answers questions and help fine tune your game, at least my guy is. So I believe that over all, you get the most bang for your buck by supporting your local shop.

I couldn't agree more! The owner of the local pro shop in my area has taken all of my equipment at one point or another and "tweaked" it to get it to work just right for my style. He typically won't take money for it either citing a need for his product to perform based on the initial payment. If I decide to change the initial layout of the ball, then I'll get charged but if it just tweaking...he refuses all payment.

cheers!
MH

Graaille
04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I may be slightly unique in that I've only purchased maybe 5 NIB balls, but have close to 40 in my collection. So in that case, my ball driller gets plenty of practice on the plug and redrill -- and it's $35/ball for me here. He's watched me bowl, and when I bring in a ball (I'm a Lane Masters/Legends junkie), he checks it out to see the shape it's in, and then we talk about the drilling and the surface prep based on what I want the ball to do. He's also honest enough to say that he can't get those balls in a timely manner thru his distributer - so as long as I bring him the ball, New or Used, I know I'll get a quality service.

Strike Domination
04-18-2009, 01:43 AM
I've only ordered one ball online, an Avalanche, from Buddies. They have free shipping. I think whether it's worth it to buy online depends on how much money you'd save and if the store you got the ball from will take care of any warranty problems for you. But even if they do, you've gotta pay for drilling again so that's a risk you take as well.

playbowl
04-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I guarantee my work to fit and do not charge for alterations until it fits right. My goal is to fit you right the first time. I do not drill conventional grips and each thumb is precision contoured to the precise "feel" that the individual prefers. In order to do that it requires customer service the old fashioned way - I talk with my customers and listen to what they say.

I can also punch 3 holes in a ball and ship it to you and match any internet price if you send me your specs and let you worry about final fit. (Most people need to go to the pro shop for this)

Which makes more sense. A lasting relationship with a craftsman that will increase your enjoyment of a sport you enjoy or saving $20

I will supply my loyal, repeat customers with span dimensions if they choose to get a ball online instead of through me but the ball will be drilled as a blank and they bring it to me to have the correct pitches and custom thumbs put in. $36 for complete pitch adjustment - $56 for undrilled ball.

Always the customers decision what to do.

mike121
05-09-2009, 05:20 AM
I am also thinking about it I am confused where I go for it online or some where else. Often I go to shop and pick what I want. Which one was the best option?:confused:

kev3inp
05-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Especially for someone new, work with your local pro shop. They are an invaluable resource.