PDA

View Full Version : Do colors of bowling balls detour your purchase?

The KingPin
03-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Hello to all,

Say your a guy, a brand comes out with a sweet new ball, but it's pink and purple, do you still buy it?

And what if your a gal, you want a nice performance ball and they are all blue and black, what do you do?

Just wondering if color of bowling balls make a difference?

Jord_84
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
color is the least thing I'm worried about. It's all about performance.

11 in a row
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
i don,t care what the colors are as long as it performs and hits the pocket hard...my ideal ball would be pink with blue splater paint look.

most of mine are black except three..

JerseyJim
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I had a Columbia Stingray(?) Urethane which was bubblegum pink. I loved that ball.

kev3inp
03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not overly fond of purple, but I've owned more of them than I thought I would.

bowl1820
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Just wondering if color of bowling balls make a difference?

At one time there was a small relationship between color and hook. This was in the urethane era before reactive resin.

I think it was just mentioned briefly in a old btm issue or other bowling magazine (i'll take a look see if I can find it).

This didn't have to do with the pigments affecting the coverstock , it was just the mfg's using the darker/lighter colors as a visual reference to help sort the ball types.Dark colored balls hooked more (like black,dark blues,dark reds) and the lighter colors for those that hooked less.

I think it still works a little, the darker balls still tend to be the ones that hook the most.

The KingPin
03-09-2009, 07:28 PM
At one time there was a small relationship between color and hook. This was in the urethane era before reactive resin.

I think it was just mentioned briefly in a old btm issue (i'll take a look see if I can find it).

This didn't have to do with the pigments affecting the coverstock , it was just the mfg's using the darker/lighter colors as a visual reference to help sort the ball types.Dark colored balls hooked more (like black,dark blues,dark reds) and the lighter colors for those that hooked less.

I think it still works a little, the darker balls still tend to be the ones that hook the most.

Great insight and thoughts. Thanks so much

bowl1820
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I started looking in some old btm's haven't ran across it yet (It may be in some other old bowling mag.)

But I did run across a mention about pigments altering ball tackiness in the book "revolutions 2"

It was when they experimented with pigments in polyester balls, they found they influenced the hardness and softness of the balls.

ThongPrincess
03-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Color no matter ;) While a cool looking ball is nice to look at, if it doesn't fit my game, it is of no use to me. I currently have the Black Widow and GameBreaker in my collection of equipment I use and neither is a "Girly" color.

Now if we are talking plastic for spares, then color could influence the decision to purchase.

The KingPin
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a purple and black spare ball and I love it

Tateman
03-14-2009, 02:15 AM
I use to use a FaBall Berry Razor hammer. It looked Pink :) If I think it is a good ball, I will probably get it no mater the color. Though I might avoid a ball if the colors are too clashy. Like the Lane#1 SuperNova XP. Some of the balls look great, others, the colors look so bad, I think it would get in my head.

Jord_84
03-14-2009, 04:21 AM
besides colors, storm balls.....the smell isn't a factor....because I'd buy a ball only for it's performance....but some of the scents are questionable. The virtual gravity makes my bag smell like a tube of toothpaste. lol

NoTapNorm
03-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Color is no difference to me either. Its all about the performance!!!

Jord_84-thanks for the heads up about the Virtual Gravity 'toothpaste' smell. i'm getting one Monday.

BXTECH
03-17-2009, 05:19 AM
I have to agree with dendler, the end result is what matters. There are several that look hideous Tantrum (excellent ball, very versatile cover), Kinetic Pearl( smooth read with an pronounced angular move in the backend) and the Virtual Gravity(very aggressive piece). How can i forget the Tsunami( i front out didn't like the reaqction i got or the look)