PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the Ball to "Hook up"

onebadhog
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Bear with me folks, 1st post here.
I'm a right hander, bowled leagues between 82 to 92 used the old red hammer & AMF angle, both drilled with a 4th weight hole, i think they called it "access weighting" both 16 lbs, had a 187 avg back then. Played between the 2nd & 3rd arrows, more of the 2nd arrow, went out to the 3rd or 4th board. Once the ball went thru the oil with it's side spin it would reach about 45' to 50' & make the transition from side spin & drive into the pocket.
Froward to this year, bowling on a Saturday nite mixed league, i have an older Hammer Blade & bought a Black widow pearl, these are 15 lbs, i just can't get eather one of these 2 to react the way my old balls would, playing about the same line, i've moved both directions, thrown it slower, put more wrist into it worked on my release & neither of these balls will ever "hooks up" anywhere on the lane. They just seem to slide past the pocket, or when they are in the pocket they are still spinning sideways & are not on a roll driving into the pocket... Is it me ????? is it the balls or the way they are drilled???

Thanks in advance.

kev3inp
03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I know a guy that still uses his old angle, but he only gets about 4 boards out of it, tops. I would suggest looking in your local proshop for some newer used equipment, so you can try out some of the new stuff without a huge initial investment. Oil is thicker these days, and the house pattern has somewhat evolved. There's way too much new stuff to even start to recommend anything at this point. I think you'll be surprised as to what a lot of the new stuff can do. Keep us informed, you've piqued my curiosity.

kev3inp
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
P.S. At first I thought you were trying to get a couple of them to breed. ;) Maybe become friends with benefits, anyway. I would think they'd be born as duckpin balls and have to grow up to the big time.

BXTECH
03-17-2009, 05:33 AM
If this situation just happened that night, then blame it on the laneman( higher volumes of oil), if not then staying behind the ball longer would help in the change of direction. Other thoughts:
-The transition from 16lbs to 15lbs can have a significant effect on your game, especially if you have a low ball speed and
impart minimal revolutions on the ball.
-You might have to decrease your speed greatly than b4.
- Instead of moving left to right, a step or two forward or back can help increasing or decreasing length by about a foot or
so.

ThongPrincess
03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Have you tried altering the surface of the ball? A change in surface may get the ball to go into a roll earlier and give you the reaction you are looking for. Just a thought and cheaper than new equipment.

The other thing is to get a coach or a trusted bowler who knows your game to watch your release to be sure it isn't you. I had a friend who knew my game so well that when things were off, he'd tell me what was different. I was the same with his. Unfortunately he moved to Arizona.