PDA

View Full Version : On the Lanes with Amanda Vermilyea

onefrombills
03-11-2009, 05:23 AM
In the coming months, we'll talk with some of best-known bowlers at the Open Championships and get their thoughts on their time at the tournament and what it takes to succeed on the championship lanes.

This week, we heard from Amanda Vermilyea, who will be in Las Vegas to compete in this year's event on March 11 and 12.

Vermilyea (formerly Burgoyne) is a former member of Team USA (2005-07) and Junior Team USA (2003-06). She has been a regular face in the top 10 at the USBC Team USA Trials and has earned 13 gold medals in international competition.

Burgoyne was a member of the 2004 and 2005 NCAA women's national champions at the University of Nebraska and was named the 2005 NCAA Women's National Collegiate Bowling Championships Most Valuable Player. She also was named the 2007 NCAA Division I Player of the Year.

HOMETOWN: I grew up in Newport, Minn., and now live in Mansfield, Texas

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS APPEARANCES: This is my first and I am very excited!!!

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS TITLES: None yet, but hopefully this year :-)

BOWLING BALL WEIGHT: 15

FAVORITE BRAND OF BOWLING BALLS: Brunswick

ONE all-time favorite host city: Las Vegas

TWO best Open Championships memories: This year and this year :-)

THREE keys to success at the Open Championships: Pick up the spares, throw strikes, and have fun!!

FOURgettable Open Championships moment: None yet, and hope I won't have any.

FIVE bowlers in history on your Open Championships fantasy all-star team: Walter Ray Williams Jr., Earl Anthony, Dick Weber, Norm Duke, and me

SIX bowling balls currently in your Open Championships arsenal: Maxx Zone, Maxx Zone, Rattler, Ultimate Inferno, Absolute Inferno, and Target Zone. Can you tell I like the Maxx Zone?? :-)

SEVEN cities you'd like to see the Open Championships go to/return to: Reno, Minneapolis, Dallas, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Orlando and Los Angeles.

EIGHT favorite bowling balls ever: Strike Zone, Navy Quantum, Absolute Inferno, Red Alert, Ultimate Inferno, Zone Classic, Zone Classic, and Total Inferno. I love the Zone Classic!!

NINE other current/eligible bowlers you would choose to join you on your ideal pair of companion teams at the Open Championships: Lynda Barnes, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Kim Terrell-Kearney, Diandra Asbaty, Kelly Kulick, my husband Erik Vermilyea, Stefanie Nation, Tennelle Milligan, and Shannon O'Keefe.

TEN seconds or less, who is your favorite bowler of all-time?: Norm Duke

ELEVEN strikes in a row to start a game at the Open Championships, what's going through your head?: Breathe and make a good shot.

TWELVE years from now, where do you hope to be in your bowling career?: The best that I can be :-)

jaws1945
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Amanda and Erik bowled juniors at the same time as my son Brian.
I can remember when they were starting out. She has come a long way