PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Cell Review

John Brodersen
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Ball specs – 15 lbs 3 oz, 3.34 top weight, 3 inch pin.

The Rogue Cell was punched using the dual angle layout method, 4.5” pin X 58 degree drill angle X 35 degree VAL angle. This put the pin just above and slightly right of the ring finger. The mass bias (RG) is about 2 inches right of the thumb. The CG is about one inch right of being inline. An X-hole was needed due to the CG position and was placed in the P2 position using the gradient line method. The finish was left OOB at 4000 abralon.

I compared the Rogue with the original “Ball of the Year” Cell and the Pearl Cell. The Rogue provides a different ball motion that is a great compliment. The Rogue provides just a fraction more length than the original but the backend is 5 to 7 boards stronger. I believe part of this is due to the layout differences and balance hole between the two (please refer to my Cell review on BallReviews.com) and the new cover stock formula, which is very strong. When compared with the Pearl Cell with a similar layout (minus the balance hole), the Rogue starts up sooner than the Pearl Cell but does not quite match the backend of the Pearl. However, let me say again that the Rogue is very strong off the friction. The Rogue Cell provides the same explosive hit and carry bowlers have come to expect from the Cell line up. The Rogue is another great addition to the pioneering CELL product line which continues to be offered at a great price point.

John Brodersen

tbs1
03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
5"x4" w/ a 3" pin buffer.

For me it ended up being a pin over ring, with mb in a stacked position.

Initial impressions: Pretty!!! I thought from the info that this ball was going to fit pretty nicely between the cell and cell pearl. I wanted to see the ball get a little longer than the cell, but not quite as long as the pearl.
Decided to go with a little weaker drilling to get the look I was after.

Ball motion is exactly what I expected on the THS. I get about 2 feet less length than the pearl, and gets through the heads a little cleaner than the cell does for me.

As far as the strength of the ball it is easily 5-7 boards stronger than my pearl, but potentially could be alot stronger if drilled to do so....

Hopefully this helps, and here is a link to my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-mnWn3itaE

Thanks,

bowlrbob
03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
]I drilled up the Rogue Cell with the pin over the ring finger and the cg kicked out. A 6- 3 configuration. i bowl in a house with synthetic heads and wood the rest of the way. about a 50/50 split hybrid house. The carry there is what I would call tough. Lots of corner pins. This happens because when the ball comes off the synthetic many times it turns right then and it burns up. The Rogue Cell went through the heads very clean and I did not experience the quick turn at the wood. This saved energy for the back and my carry was awesome for this center. I took it brand new to league and had 781 first time out. Goes through the heads a bit longer than the original Cell and hit harder than the Cell Pearl. A great compliment to the other two Cells. Nice going Roto Grip another winner. :D
Bob Korth
Roto grip Amateur staff member :)

MoonsLefty
03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I drilled my Rogue using the Dual Angle layout, the numbers are 50/5/35. This is a different layout from my original Cell, which has a layout of 50/5/70. These two balls compliment each other very well. The two balls seem to roll about the same in the mid-lane, but the Rogue gives me more recovery on the backend. I can line up with my original Cell, and I then need to move about 6 or so boards right (since I am left handed) with my feet and about 3 with my eyes to get the Rogue to the pocket.

Not only does this ball look great but it rolls great as well. Another great ball from Hank Boomershine and everyone at Roto Grip. Keep up the good work.

Rockteschel
03-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I have thrown the Rogue a few games now and it is amazing. I drilled it 5-1/4 x 3-1/2 x 2 with weight hole on my PAP (5 right). This ball had excellent recovery when pushed wide and sat nicely if not pulled too much. If my speed got a little slow the ball crossed over. I had to stand 4 boards left of my stronger drilled cell pearl and 5 boards left of my cell. The balls have similar reaction on the lane. The Rogue would start up a little sooner but had nice angular reaction. The Rogue cleared the heads without any issues and was very predictable. Roto Grip has another hit on their hands with this ball. I will update when I get back from nationals at the end of the month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cory
Roto-Grip Staff Member 2009
USBC Bronze Certified Coach
Pro Shop Tech.

Mr Scary
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
15 lb. Dual Angle Drilling: 5” PAP Drill Angle 40 deg. VAL Angle 55 deg. Box Finish

Drill intention: Good read in the middle part of the lane with earlier hook, but continue through the pins.

I am playing more of the lane than I thought I would, but I love the ball and the drilling. League night puts down a decent amount of oil (modified house shot, lower scoring for best scratch league in the area), but it is no problem for the Rogue. Any shot close to the pocket is carrying for me, even shots I think are weak, still snaps out the 10 pin. I bowled a tournament over the weekend at a center that is known for bad carry. I started out with 277 – 258 to win the first 2 high games and rolled to lead qualifying. This ball is a fantastic compliment to the Cell and the Cell Pearl. This ball will be in my bag for a long time.

The KingPin
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Great review. A little bird tells me we will have a contest with this ball soon!!!

SenorRotoGrip
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
The Rogue Cell is a great complement to the solid Cell and Cell Pearl for patterns 39' and longer. I drilled mine using a 4 1/2" x 4, pin buffer 1 1/2-2", with a small hole on my axis. The Rogue gets about the same length down lane as the solid Cell with a little more back end movement. The Hybrid cover goes through the heads clean, and reacts smoothly and strongly off the break point on a 39' house shot. The strong hit of the Cell weight block keeps the pins low with excellent carry.

On the house shot, the Rogue sat nicely on the oil line and hit hard. When I sent it to the dry, early, the ball burned off a little, but did not over react off the breakpoint. This allows a little miss to the right without the ball crashing the nose for a split, but instead maybe leaving a 10 pin.

The Rogue hybrid cover at 4000 abralon gives a nice reaction out of the box. The Rogue will fit into anyone's arsenal as either a first ball or a go to ball. Add a Cell, and a Pearl Cell for a great 3 ball arsenal

batbowler
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
My pap is 315/16"> X 11/8" ^, I'm not a spinner, but I keep my fingers in the 6&7 o'clock position! Box specs. 15lb 3oz 2.5-3 pin 3.6 top weight. I used the dual angle layout of 60deg x 41/4" x 65deg, which placed the pin below my middle finger and the RG/MB on my val. I didn't adjust the box finish for now and I had to stand 7 boards left of my Cell Pearl and 5 boards left of my Cell and Strike Cell. The Cell is drilled similar with the pin below the bridge and Cell Pearl below ring finger. I had a tough time keeping the ball in the pocket and a soft roll caused it to cross over.:eek: I'll post another review when I get on more oil, this was a fresh oil pattern that had just been done for league.
Update: I compared this to a fresh Hybrid Cell and I had to move left 4 boards and I had to watch my ball speed, cause if I got soft with the Rogue it was through the face. I used this ball at the Pinnacle in Clarksville, TN and shot 765 and had all kinds of room with this ball! This ball gets through the heads with ease and has a similar look of the Pearl at the break point, only stronger with the continuation as the original Cell.:)

precisionrotoguy
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Layout- 4.5” X 4.25” Pin Over and Right of Ring, Hole 5” straight out small/shallow

I have to say, I had high expectations for the Rogue Cell and amazingly this ball has surpassed them. I expected that what I had heard was true, that it would have a breakpoint shape and length between the 2 prior Cell balls with a little more overall reaction (at the very least on house patterns) than both, but this ball has opened up the lane for me like nothing else I have ever thrown. In my scratch league they lay out a very over/under pattern and pretty much nobody can get left on it because there is such a massive flood in the middle- but now I can. I’ve hardly lost a match play point in that league the few weeks I’ve thrown it. Quite frankly, it feels like cheating, much like the Cell did when it was new- but that much more. Furthermore, it wants to create an ideal ball reaction on every condition I’ve thrown it. If I back out of it I can still throw it on burnt heads and it still wants to clear the front, roll in the midlane, pop on the back and continue for the rack. There is not a better value on the market. Plus the ball looks dreamy too. From a pro shop perspective, this ball is gonna move too. I got two early from Roto Grip’s pre release program- one lasted 10 minutes and the other lasted an hour and a half. I didn’t even try to sell them. Bowlers walked in and just asked for it the second they saw it. It’ll be nice to have a shot in the arm from a bowling ball (in terms of performance and sales) in March. How often does that happen?

Jason Hoff
Area 300 Pro Shop

Bwinter5800
03-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Within the first week of drilling up the ROGUE, I have found that the ROGUE CELL is a great addition to the CELL lineup. The ROGUE allows the bowler a reaction option that falls between the original CELL and the CELL PEARL. For a low track player, the spinner’s dream layout is just that, a dream. The ROGUE reads the midlane very well and if the bowler should miss his mark left, it can hold the line and drive hard to the pocket. Miss right and the ROGUE has the ability to recover with a continuous motion into the pocket that drives through the pins.

RonCase823
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
My Axis is 5 5/8 right, ¼ up, my speed is average and I would consider myself with higher revs but more up the back. So not a cranker but not really straight either.

I drilled this ball very strong with the pin under my ring finger and MB in a strong position which put the CG positive and in the thumb weight quadrant. Then we put a hole just right of my thumb hole pitched away from thumb and brought the weight to 7/8 side and 0 finger, thumb.

This ball is very strong. I’ve used it on several patterns. On a drier house shot if I hit the dry too soon it wants to jump hard. However, if I kept it in the oil I could open the lane way up and keep moving left and it would always come back. On the oilier Kegal and PBA shots it works great because it is so strong. This is a great ball for oil or to just stand left and throw it out. It reads the mid lane very good and it continues on the back end very well. Only fault is it is not the ball for the driest of lanes. Leave those lanes for the Mars.

Ron Case - RotoGrip Staff

Mikelj
03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
My Cell Rogue is drilled with the pin under the fingers. The layout is 4” pin from PAP and 2 1/2” Mass Bias from PAP. There is an extra hole on the PAP.

I stroke the ball with average ball speed and usually play down the boards.

I like the versatility of this offering. I was able to score equally as well when playing on a 36’ condition and swinging the ball or on a 42’ shot and going directly down the oil line.

I had a 6 game break in period, before the ball began to really react. But now the ball is really performing.

This ball has a more angular move to the pocket than the Cell and starts in the mid lane sooner than the Cell Pearl. The hitting power and the backend reaction are as expected strong and continuous.

Mike Johnston
Roto Grip Staff

onebigtwister
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
SPECS: 3-4” pin 3.25oz top

DRILLING: 4x4 with 2”buffer, 1 1/8” hole on VAL 2” below PAP.

SURFACE: box finish

After drilling this beauty I was a little disappointed at first, all because there was not enough oil around here for this strong of drilling on the new Rogue. My recommendation is not to drill this ball with the pin closer then 5” Unless you bowl on an absolute flood.

THS- I really didn’t get the best read in league with this, starting league playing between 4-5 arrow just didn’t seem right, but I did it anyway. The reaction I got was the strongest mid-lane read I have seen yet from the Cell line, but just enough pop on the back for it to strike. I only got about 15 frames before I had to switch to my Pearl Cell it was starting to burn up so I figured I would switch before losing my set. The Cell Pearl matches up really well to the new Rogue.

USBC Open- I bowled a tournament that put this pattern down, it was 8 games across the house (24lanes). Since we were only bowling 1 game then moving to a new pair, each pair play different, because of the different play and lack of team break down strategy. The Rogue gave me the most consistent look even though each pair was different. On this pattern the ball work relatively good playing out, but as so as I had to migrate toward the middle of the lane it went too far before making its move. So as I had to move in I switch to my regular Cell (1000 abrolon) and was the magic guess (200 over for my last 3 games).

In closing I think the Rogue is my favorite Cell as of yet, it clears the heads like the pearl, but still reads the mids well with strong continuous back-end.If you have any further questions you can reach me a strike2win@hotmail.com

I will be drilling my second Rogue this week, and will give a Review of that after some play with it. Thanks!

Jacob Bedard
Roto Grip Staff

Bucko the Bowler
03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Out of the box this ball is very aggressive and is good for heavier oiled lanes. I did not have much success with this ball on a typical house shot. Once I got this ball onto a sport style oil pattern this ball came to life and gave me a very good reaction that is controllable. This ball has a good mid-lane reaction and a very strong aggressive and angular back reaction. This ball for sure crushes pins! It has a good consist reaction and the ball over all does not give an over/under reaction on whatever you are bowling on. It delivers all the anticipation that bowlers are looking for and it is a must have ball.
BRANDON HARRIS
Amateur Roto Grip Staff

L.Hoffman
03-22-2009, 02:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on the early reviews, even before the Rogue was being shipped to the Pro Shops, it appears Hank & the Boys at Roto Grip has another ball in the running for Ball of the Year 2009...Being a 71 year old LH Stroker, my 1st Rogue layout has the 3 inch pin below the ring finger & CG one inch out with X-hole. With hand behind ball it gets down the lane with a smooth flip at the break point with hard hitting carry...As others have said, not a dry lane league ball. I found this out in 1st league warm up. I had to move to far right & even though I could get ball back to pocket, I left 6-7 pins in a row, so back in the bag and out came the Cell Pearl..My 2nd league at a diff. house has a longer & wider oil pattern. I could go 10 to 5 board staying behind ball shot 268-258-742 in 1st league outing..A week later in a Open Tournament on USBC pattern I could go straight up 5-7 with a strong back-end & super carry..In the 6 game qual. changing lanes, had high games of 268-258-248.... Last Sunday 3/15 in another tournament, had a 300 middle game in 3 game qual. and a 279 in the 1 game semies.. Since I'm retired & spend 6-7 months in Az. & the balance in Fremont, Mi. for the summer, I have bowling ties there. My Grand Daughters & two sons all use Roto Grip balls(what else).....Son Mike, a Right Hander wanted a Rogue for Vegas next month..He had it drilled about 10 days ago..Last Tues. 3/17..he shot 268-204-269-744. Two nights later 3/19, he had his 1st 800...226-289-300-815.. He can't wait for Vegas....Wait, there's more... In the same league on 3/19, at Fremont Lanes, Tom Margo, owner of Toms Pro Shop had his 2nd 300 with his Rogue Cell..His 1st was the week before in his 1st game out of the box. A special Thanks to Roto Grip for all they do for the Senior High-Roller Tournaments..... Larry Hoffman, Roto Grip Advisory Staff....

cmsubowler
03-23-2009, 01:57 PM
They just keep gettin better. What the original Cell may lack in angle the Rogue makes up for it. What the Cell Pearl lacked in ability to handle heavier oil, the Rogue makes up for it. Every ball has its place in our order is what we are told and this one has been able to take just about every spot in my bag. The only regret with this one so far is that I don't have more than two but that can problem is easily solved.

I have used both of the ones I have drilled up on 3 different lane surfaces and haven't put them down since I got them. I am a medium rev with medium speed player who enjoys playing different parts of the lane whenever possible. I map out all of my equipment using the Dual Angle Layout technique and the first one is drilled with a 65 degree initial angle and 4.75" ping distance and 45 degree VAL angle, and a weight hole in the lower thumb quadrant strong middlane roll position. Box surface on this one with a slight glaze. Very clean through the front with very agressive arc at the end of the pattern. The more I let the ball do what it wants to do(which is HOOOOOOOKKKK!!!!) the better it reacts. I have not had a problem with this ball recovering off of the break point even on a very deep inside line.
The second Rogue I have drilled up is 80 degree initial angle and 6.25" pin to PAP distance with a 60 degree VAL angle, Weight hole below thumb adjacent thumb line. This ball was drilled Specifically for the Cheetah pattern and houses with lots of friction to the outside. Again clean through the front half with a strong controlled arc on the back end part of the lane and what a monster when it hits. Example: I know my ball speed was up and I know what the machines look like out back but I threw a pin over the middle and onto the pin deck of the lane next to me. Could have been a coincedence and a pin just fell out of the other rack but the timing was too perfect. I should have asked the mechanic to count them but didn't. All I gotta say is wow.
In my opinion the best high end performance ball on the market.

mred2u
03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
My stats are PAP 41/2 over and 1/4 up average to slower ball speed with a 325 rev rate. I am right handed

Drilled two of these balls and they are as good as advertised. One of them is drilled with the pin 5" from the PAP which puts the pin under my middle finger. I have used in this ball on the Kegel pattern Highway to hell and it was a pefect fit between my Pro Pin Cell (which is at 2000 finish) and The Cell Pearl. The other Rogue is drilled with a 6" pin above my middle finger this ball is in box with storm polish and this ball goes about another foot down lane and has more backend that the first Rogue. This ball will be able to be used on many different patterns but keep in mind that is NOT for drier lanes.

Ed Riffle
Roto Grip Staff

rrb
03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Drilled 2 so far
1st - 5 x 3 w/ 2" pin buf pin above ring finger
2nd - 4 x 4 pin below ring finger
The first rogue I polised with storm polish and this ball clears the heads very easily with a very mild mid lane and a strong snap to the pocked with a very hard hit.
The second rogue I left box finish and amazingly this clears the heads with ease has a very good read on the mid ans a stonger arc to the pocket again with a pin crushing hit at the pins.I tried these ball in three different centers the first at a wood lane house the second in abrunswick overlay center and the third was on brunswick synthetic house. Thanks Rich Mueller Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff

Tess7654
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
My Rouge Cell is drilled with a 5" pin from pap, 3" mass bias to pap with a 2" pin buffer. What I was looking for with this layout was a ball I could go to when my Cell with similiar layout was either too early or started to give up on the backend....what I got was alot more than I expected. I have thrown my Rogue Cell on a typical house shot and the kegel pattern highway to hell. On the house shot this ball is just silly....while playing 20 at the arrows I had no out of bounds and shots that were tugged inside the oil still rolled up strong and carried the 7, i could see bowling huge scores with this ball on easy patterns. On the highway to hell I could play 12 to 6-7 or I could move in deeper and slow down my speed and actually open up the lane. My favorite Roto Ball yet has been the original Cell since I have faster ball speed but with the few times I have used the Rogue I dont think it would be hard for it to pass the Cell as my fav. I know you see alot of reviews say this but its amazing just how good Roto Grip is right now....I expect the next ball they create to be amazing as well.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/Dt7755/0329091914.jpg

David Tessman
Roto Grip staff.

BXTECH
03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Is this a very rolly piece? Did you adjust the cover? Can you consider the ball to be a skid/ snap or rolly curving?

BXTECH
03-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Can you consider this ball to be skid/snap or rolly curve?

maverick_124
03-31-2009, 09:39 AM
iv heard its a skid snap type of ball

PaulMc
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
I thought Roto Grip’s coloring of the Rogue Cell was kind of neat. The ball is supposed to be in between the Cell and the Cell Pearl in reaction. What’s cool is they made part of the Cell Rogue look like the Cell and the other part of it look like the Cell Pearl. It looks like the hybrid it is supposed to be!

Not only does the ball look like a cross of the two, it also fits in between the two in the reaction. It gets through the heads easier than my Cell but not near as long as the Pearl, picks up a good, heavy mid-lane roll like the Cell, then finishes on the back end in between the two (it is much smoother on the back-end than the Pearl but finishes harder than my Cell).

On house shots the ball has been awesome. Last night in league, I shot 733 with two awful shots that left splits. It took me about five frames to get lined up the first game but after that I only lost three hits. One was a swishing 10 (probably a bad rack), a six pin as the shot broke down, and a weak 7 on a weak shot. Every other shot in the pocket struck. The ball really reacts good in the oil as I am able to move further inside the oil line than usual and avoid the overreacting dry.

I also used the ball in a six gamer on a house shot a couple of weeks ago. Since it was a new ball, I tried throwing other stuff first (I always like throwing new stuff but get in trouble with them). I dug myself a deep hole after three games with the old stuff, switched to the Cell Rogue and shot 300, 24+ and 23+ to win a high game and place in other side pots. Should have switched earlier!

maverick_124
04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
tommy told me that the rogue cell is supose to snap and hook more then the cell not between the pearl and cell...

PaulMc
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
You bet! I've been throwing Roto Grip exclusively for over a year now. It all started when Dan Smith drilled me a ball at the Sr High Roller about 4 years ago. I made it to the semi-finals and have thrown them consistently since then. The attraction was reinforced when I had a super USBC tournament a couple of years ago with an SD73 (what a great ball that is!). This year at nationals I shot 1988 with my Cell Pearl.

ODriscoll
04-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Rogue Cell

To revisit the Cell. Again if you haven't thrown one your missing out. The Cell core creates a shape and predictability no other balls have matched. For tougher patterns its hard to find a better look or success than the Cell. No other ball has been able to maintain the differential as long as the cell.

The 3rd installment of the cell series and possibly the most versatile. I've drill all 3 the same with a modified RICO layout. I didn’t think there would be much different from the first 2 but I was wrong. While the original Cell is by far the earliest of the series and the Pearl Cell is the longest. The Rogue fits easily in between. The Rogue provides great overall control of the lane with its Hybrid coverstock. Definitely not suited for drier patterns but easily adjust with a little polish.

The way I see it this makes lane play a little easier.

Where do you want to attack the lanes.
Heads: Cell
Mids: Rogue
Backend: Cell Pearl

The Rogue Cell could be this years best stimulus package!

Kelly O'Driscoll
Roto Grip Staff

BShep
04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
This ball rolls as advertised. You get the strong midlane roll like the Cell with a more defined breakpoint and backend motion similar to the Cell Pearl. This ball gives me an additional 4-5 boards on the backend than the original Cell.
Ball is drilled 4 1/4 inch pin to pap and 4 3/4 inch MB to pap. Out of box, I'm able to use the Rogue on heavy volumes of oil. Out of box, the ball was a little too aggressive for the typical house shots I encounter. To combat this, I've used Storms step 3 polish. The ball is extremely versatile with cover changes.

maverick_124
04-24-2009, 05:37 PM
i jsut put a $100 down on a 15lb rogue cell!!!! gonne be drilled same as my cell is now (which i have NO idea how its drilled) but my cell is **** on the wet lanes which i am basicly on all the time!

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Im considering picking one up. Not that I really need another ball but I wanna own everything!!!!

maverick_124
04-25-2009, 11:07 AM
and im gonna get lessons from tommy hudson and he said "im gonna get you up to a 190 average bowler"

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 02:08 PM
You can get there just got to want it! Anything is possible

maverick_124
04-26-2009, 12:48 AM
i just need a ball that is good on wet oil!! which is why im getting the rogue!!!

when i get this ball ill have a ball for every condition so ill do ALOT better

Jrock4207
04-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Well best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes!

maverick_124
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
will do!!!

rotoguy838
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
My Rogue Cell is drilled with a 4 by 4 drilling with the mass bias in the strong postion. This ball really gets through the heads very clean while picking up a roll in the mid lane much like the original Cell with the back end motion of the Cell Pearl. Even on a broken down house shot I was able to move way in and the ball would still finish strong enough to carry the 10 pin. This ball has great carry from all angles of the lane. I have been able to use my Rogue on many different tournament shots and house shots and is a great ball to go to if you are using a cell and it starts to burn up and not make the corner. Overall this is a great ball and I recommend everyone to have one in their bag.

Jimmy Crews
Roto Grip Amateur Staff

maverick_124
05-01-2009, 12:12 PM
well i went and got one. first time out was awesome!!

first league night it sucked ***!!!

during the first practice it hooked like hell

then during the league night it wouldn't hook at all it just kept sliding and sliding and softly hooking into the 3 pin i realllyyyy dont like the rogue right now but im gonna take it for more practice and see why it wont hook on league

maverick_124
05-01-2009, 12:12 PM
so right now I'm not saying its good or bad

msick124
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I work in three different centers, and I see a lot of people throwing the rogue, my advice is to make sure you have your towel and are wiping it down between shots it seems to hold on to the oil and also make sure that u check for damage as the coverstock seems easily wounded. Other than that just keep practicing and it should be good to you

maverick_124
05-04-2009, 05:13 PM
i clean it every time i throw it. i wont throw it with any oil on it. and my home lanes it slids non stop and starts to hook 6" from the pins slaming the 3 pin head on. BUT when i go to another alley it SNAPS on the back end

maverick_124
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
well i went today and i was within 4" of the head pin (both left and right sides) and my games went

155, 183,190

StoneColdski
05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
It was extremely CLEAN threw the heads, as it entered the MIDS, The Rogue picked up a STRONG roll, that created an AWESOME CONTINOUS roll to the pocket. I then tried adding some Polish(Storm Step 3) and this ball gave me another 3-4 ft. with the SAME motion and hitting POWER. I also have no problem getting this ball to cover boards(if needed).
The Rogue CELL definetely completed the Crown Line: Cell (Early)- Rogue(Mid Lane) - Cell Pearl(Late/Backend).
When it comes to Hybrid, there is NO other company than ROTO GRIP!!

kev3inp
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Just what I wanted to hear. Wes really makes them look great too. And what attractive equipment.

mred2u
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Drilled two of these balls and they are as good as advertised. One of them is drilled with the pin 5" from the PAP which puts the pin under my middle finger. I have used in this ball on the Kegel pattern Highway to hell and it was a pefect fit between my Pro Pin Cell (which is at 2000 finish) and The Cell Pearl. The other Rogue is drilled with a 6" pin above my middle finger this ball is in box with storm polish and this ball goes about another foot down lane and has more backend that the first Rogue. This ball will be able to be used on many different patterns but keep in mind that is NOT for drier lanes.

Ed Riffle
Roto Grip Staff Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

Roto-Mat
06-05-2009, 12:20 AM
My bowling stats:
PAP: 5.75” Over .25” Up
Average Speed: 18.5 MPH
RPM’s: 400+

Ball(s) Stats:
“Continuous” Rouge Cell
(Layed Out Using Roto-Grips “4x3” in their drilling chart)
Weight Hole: On PAP
Personal Favorite Surface Condition: OOB

“Trick Layout” Rouge Cell
Pin Location: 6" from PAP WAY ABOVE Ring Finger
Mass Bias Location: 45 Degrees (Above and Right of Thumb)
Weight Hole: 3.5" Over 1" Up
Personal Favorite Surface Condition: Highly Polished or White Scotch Brite

Review:

Conditions I Would Consider Using The Ball On:
Heavy or Medium/Heavy Patterns
Heavy or Medium/Heavy Volumed Patterns
Clean To Slightly Carried Down Backends
Heavy Volumed House Shots

For me, the Rogue Cell is a completely different ball than any other ball that I have thrown. As an aggressive ball, it is very coverstock tunable and layout friendly. However, because of its aggressiveness it can be deceiving. With everything being equal, the Rouge Cell is the most aggressive of all the Cells, however I have found on several different patterns (besides heavy/long patterns) that either the Cell Pearl or original Cell will actually out hook the Rogue Cell based on early and undetectable energy burn. Sometimes this can be a good thing though, as it gives you more control over the break point...... Like the other Cells, this ball is very continuous, even if it runs into early burn. I cant think of one time where any of my Cells have ever flat out rolled out.

“Continuous” Rouge Cell

This is the most continuous and most hooking ball I have ever punched out. It just plain hooks. With this ball it reminds me of a urethane ball on steroids, without the super early burn (as long as you have head oil). I tried polishing it and used it on a few patterns, but it seemed to really overlap my original Cell so I returned it to OOB condition and am able to use it on longer/heavier patterns without having to worry about it skipping through the breakpoint. However, on longer patterns with medium volume I found the original Cell in OOB condition to be a better match up. Bottom line is this: If you already have an original Cell and you are looking to get a Rouge Cell, don't be afraid to drill one up similar and tweak the coverstock so they compliment each other and you wont be shut out on any condition.
“Trick Layout” Rouge Cell
Again, this is named after the Tommy Jones layout. I find this layout extremely versatile for higher rev players. Comparing this ball to the others in the Cell line, I find it to kind of a blend of the two. With the high gloss polish that I applied to it, it clears the heads like the Cell Pearl, but the cover helps smooth the reaction out close to the original Cell. On average (and depending on the condition), this ball is about 3-5 boards stronger than the original Cell and 3-5' sooner than the Cell Pearl.

My bottom line is this. This ball is strong. REALLY strong. If you are not using the right layout or using it on the right condition, it probably wont work and one of the other Cells will probably work better. BUT when the stars align and you match up with this very tunable and versatile beast .... LOOK OUT!!

Conditions that I would not consider using these balls on:
Short Pattern
Low Volume Patterns
Beat Up Synthetic/Wood Lanes (High and early friction)

Roto-Grip Balls Up or Down:
Ball Up In Reaction: Stronger/Earlier Drilled Rouge Cell or a Late 90s/Early 2000's Particle Ball
Ball Down In Reaction: Cell or Cell Pearl

Ball(s) Stats:
“Early” Mars
Drilled out: “4x4
Weight Hole: On VAL Drilled on a line through CG

“Semi-Label Drilled” Mars
Pin Location: 5.5" from PAP Directly above Ring Finger
CG Located in Grip Center
Weight Hole: N/A

Review:
Conditions I Would Consider Using The Ball On:
Light Oil
Short Oil
Beat Up/Chewed Up Lanes (Wood or Synthetic)

The Mars is probably one of the weakest balls that Roto-Grip has come out with since the Mercury (although the Mars is slightly stronger). I found that the Mars is definitely allergic to oil, but knows hows to read friction down the lane with a vengeance. The Mars has allowed me to play parts of the lane that I otherwise would not have been able to when they are severely broken down.

“Early” Mars

I labeled this ball with the term “Early” because that is what it is compared to my other Mars. This particular ball is very smooth and does not know how to read early hook. I found this ball to play “Top Hat” type house shots very well near the oil line. I have no fear of missing a board or two right and having it over react and jerking too hard on the back end. However, if I manage to miss a board or two left on a “Top Hat” house shot, I hope I missed enough left to go high flush and kick out the 10. On a broken down sports/PBA shot, this ball does really well navigating the broken down pattern.

“Semi-Label Drilled” Mars
This ball rolls just like the “Early” Mars does, except it takes another 3-5 games for it to shine. This ball is very straight though the heads (and even part way into the midlane!), with a mild arc in the backend. This is one of the best control balls for dry lanes I have ever thrown.

If you are a player that is not comfortable moving left and out of your comfort zone, I would not hesitate drilling 2 Mars for you like these for late blocks in a tournament.

Conditions that I would not consider using these balls on:

Any heavy or long pattern.

Roto-Grip Balls Up or Down:
Ball Up In Reaction: Neptune
Ball Down In Reaction: Mercury

Thank you for your time in reading this review. I hope that you have found it to be helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to help you as much as I can.
Thanks!
Mat Henning
Roto-Grip Staffer
Champions Bowling Services

fbushstl
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
dang its that gud

pbacanuck
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Rogue Cell: The Perfect Fit

The Original Cell might be the best ball I have ever owned. Usually the more aggressive a ball is, the less forgiving it is.The Cell hooks, and it hits, but it still seems to find the pocket I when I have the occasional bad release. The nature of the ball is to be more even arcing and it does need oil to clear the heads

If there is not enough head oil or you need a ball to cover a lot of boards late then the Cell Pearl is the ball to go to. It gets through the heads cleaner and hooks like crazy on the back end. I find the Cell Pearl a bit more condition specific and not as forgiving as the Cell. It hooks alot harder on dry boards and can squirt a bit on carry down.

That's where the Rogue Cell comes in handy. It gets through the heads cleaner than the Cell and has a more angular motion like the Pearl, but isn't effected as much by carry down. It has a strong back end without the over/under you can get from the Pearl.

With the Cell, the Cell Pearl and now the Rogue Cell, Roto Grip has come up with three balls that compliment each other perfectly.

Rotomike
06-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Rogue Cell #1
I put the pin up @ 4 ½ from my pap with the mb next to my thumb. The balance hole was placed on my val on the midline of the grip.

My intent with this Rogue was to have a ball with which I could really open up the lane. WOW does it ever! I have a Cell Solid with the same layout and It sometimes is a bit too even off of the breakpoint.

The Rogue Cell’s cover is the strongest match for the Nucleus core yet. The hybrid cover seems to bring out the strongest aspects of the core. You can really see the differential working as the ball goes through motion. Where other strong drilled asymmetric balls have a tendency to stand up in the backend this just keeps on driving.

Surface changes: After using the ball in box condition I took the cover down to 2000 abralon to take some of the sharpness off of the break point. It worked as expected while still keeping up the continuation through the pins. I used this ball during my 7am singles at the USBC Open shooting 636 and doubling up on my brackets. $$$

Rogue Cell #2
I wanted to try something different so I laid the ball out pin down @ 6 inches from my pap with a strong drill angle. Mb was placed between my thumb hole and my val. I placed the balance hole low on my val.

What I got was a medium strong midlane read with even continuation off of the spot. I was struggling on the PBAX Earl pattern until I drilled this ball. The final three weeks of the Earl pattern I averaged over 225.

My favorite part of the Rogue Cell is the pin action. I really enjoy watching the pins fly around the deck with reckless abandon.

Rotomike
06-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Roto Grip Staff Star Reggie Lockett says:

The Rogue is smooth and a must ball for the guys who have a little trouble with ball recovery and has the Regular Cell & the Cell Pearl. Where the shell on the Cell Pearl will take you down the floor the Rogue will as well but the box finish will turn you over on the back end but not burn in the fronts, that combinations on the Rogue is excellent and will get you down the floor especially using the lay outs recommended in the drilling guide.

Hey ! Trust me and try it you will like it

msherman
06-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Style: Cranker (crowbar)
Revrate: 475 - 500 RPM
The Layout:

4 1/2 x 3 1/2 (Pin above ring finger with the MB two 1.5 inches out from thumb). There is a 3/4 inch balance hole, 2 inches deep, on the axis.

The Motion:

This ball is very smooth. It reads the transition in wet dry very evenly. With the pin being a little higher, it gets through the heads and goes a little further before the initial reaction starts up. Going through the pin deck it really makes the pins dance around. Lighter pocket hits seem to be the best for the Rogue because of its overall continuation.

The reaction was a little too strong up front with the box finish on a THS, so a coat of Factory Finish polish was applied. This made the ball glide through the heads even further. It still grabbed sooner and was not as sharp off the break as the Cell Pearl, with a similar layout. This ball starts its move a few feet sooner than the pearl, and has a smoother overall motion. The combination of the Pearl and Solid coverstock really puts a perfect fit to compliment the Cell and Cell pearl.

This ball reads great in the midlane on the PBA Viper. It is easy to play a tight shim around the track area with this ball and creating room to the right because of its great recovery. If you are looking for a aggressive smooth piece to put in your lineup, the Rogue is exactly what you are looking for.

More to come,

Mason Sherman
Roto Grip Regional Staff
Vise Regional Staff

WAC4504
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Just changed from 15 lb. to 16 lb. ball weight so had to get new equipment, went from Ebonite Play Maker to the Rogue and man what a differance. This ball will spoil you quick the only thing is that it needs some oil, when the lanes dry out you will wind up standing at the left gutter throwing at the right and without enough power you will still go Brooklyn. Best ball I've thrown yet, but I've only been bowling for 2 years.: http://www.bowlingboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

maverick_124
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
well im getting much better with my rogue. it is a GREAT ball very very very good if your looking to slam the pocket with the lay out i got

maverick_124
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
here is the pics of my layout

mrbill
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmm looks like the strong stroker layout, High Track I've been looking at for my JigSaw..
So you say it hooks then in another house it does not?

maverick_124
08-13-2009, 10:49 PM
i went from one house i bowled at for 8 years and finally switch to the other house in my city for the summer from hell wiht my rogue and after 6 weeks i got use to it and i can really SLAM the pocket so i love this ball

maverick_124
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
and you can tell im getting better cause my games tonight (last league night for me cause no job...) i had a 211, 190, and 185

kev3inp
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
In our home house, and especially when we went to NC and had clean backends, the ball wants to hook way past the headpin. I have to move further right than ever before and throw it out toward the gutter. It's a liitle tamer if I can throw it faster, but this ball makles me look like I have revs. The cover does seem a litle delicate; I've gotten a number of nicks. It also seems to love coming back with belt material on it, more so than anyone else's equipment. If there's enough oil this ball is a monster. If it's dryer you'd be better off using your spare ball. That's why we're looking at the Mars.

maverick_124
08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
well my arsenal is made up of

3 rotogrip balls

rogue cell, cell, spare (tire looking thing)

a secret agent i never use!

and a storm hot rod

maverick_124
08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
OH! and i had a 222 high game with my rogue. high its been since i got it almost 2 months ago lol

Rbrown
01-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I am a bowler for Wright State University and i love the rogue cell. This ball has a smooth rolling ball through the mid-lane and has a big backend. i recomend this ball for people who do not have a lot of turn on the ball and for medium oil and heavy oil. i use this ball a lot and it still rolls great, but you have to maintain the surface. This is a great ball overall.