PDA

View Full Version : Getting a ball for my son

Jord_84
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Right now, he's been using a ball someone donated to the bowling alley. It feels about 9 lbs, but obviously it's not drilled for his hand so he drops it a lot. So I'm thinking it's time for him to get his own equipment. He's got a pretty good approach, for a 6 yr old. The goal is to eventually teach him how to throw a hook, do I get him a plastic ball to start out with, or get him an entry-level ball with some hook potential and start teaching him now?

bowl1820
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Start with plastic, he needs to learn control and accuracy first. Plus he'll be growing fast out of the grip, so it will get plugged and changed a few times. better for now to do that with a plastic, you can change surface textures also to get some bite, cause a plastic can hook.

the other night my girlfriend was standing on 20 threw her plastic ball leaked it out to the 3 board, it came back for a pocket strike. so they can hook.

ThongPrincess
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
At his age, I would also recommend plastic. Does he bowl in a junior program?

The goal is to teach him the basics - coordination, consistent approach, and delivery/release.

Jord_84
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
yeah, he bowls on a youth league, and I take him with me to the bowling alley and we practice together. He's very consistent in hitting second arrow, his approach and his release aren't too bad either. I'm in the process of teaching him how to move to pick up spares.

I think the plastic is a good idea....then he's got a ball for 10 pins when he moves up to better equipment.
just needed a second opinion, thanks you two!

ThongPrincess
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
You're welcome! That is cool that you both practice together! I am sure he is excited to have his very own ball. May he have a ton of success with it!

I'm sure you already know this, but when he changes shoe size it is a good idea to check his span. I've had a few of the juniors all of a sudden say the ball they have been using the past year or so feels funny. My 1st question after checking their span and finding it too short, is have you changed shoe sizes? It is usually at least one size.

alltenback
03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah I agree starting him with plastic.

Awesome you are building such a great relationship with your son and going bowling together.

My father and I bowl on a doubles league together. It is a blast. We are best buds. I hope the same for you.

Jord_84
03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
You're welcome! That is cool that you both practice together! I am sure he is excited to have his very own ball. May he have a ton of success with it!

I'm sure you already know this, but when he changes shoe size it is a good idea to check his span. I've had a few of the juniors all of a sudden say the ball they have been using the past year or so feels funny. My 1st question after checking their span and finding it too short, is have you changed shoe sizes? It is usually at least one size.

actually I haven't heard that before, so thanks! I'll be sure to check his span next time he outgrows his shoes!
We got him an 8 lb brunswick T zone, he's excited!
he didn't do so great with his first game today, he's squeezing the ball, and he needs to get used to relaxing his hand now that his ball fits. The hardest part with trying to coach him, is that when he gets frustrated, I'm the last person he wants to listen to lol
we had a good pep talk about how he needs to practice with it. I'm sure he's going to improve greatly with his own equipment!
thanks everyone for the feedback!

Jord_84
03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Yay! my son bowled his first 100 game with his new ball this morning! 105, I'm hoping he'll get bowler of the week, plus he gets a patch to add to his shirt, so he's excited!

alltenback
03-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Yay! my son bowled his first 100 game with his new ball this morning! 105, I'm hoping he'll get bowler of the week, plus he gets a patch to add to his shirt, so he's excited!

That is awesome. Stoked to hear about his progress.

Keep us posted

Great to hear

:D

bowl1820
03-21-2009, 04:18 PM

All right Good bowling!

11 in a row
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
i,m with the above posters here and start him out with plastic to allow him to work on the basics .
even the grownups throw their plastic when they need to work on accuracy like me and it helps..

so i,ll go with plastic for him to start off with..

11 in a row
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM

awesome keep it up.

ThongPrincess
03-24-2009, 12:41 AM

Congratulations to your son! May he earn many more patches and awards!