PDA

View Full Version : Dorin-Ballard brings home Malaysian Open title

onefrombills
03-22-2009, 12:48 AM
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Team USA's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard won her first title in Asia on Saturday as she defeated Geraldine Ng of Singapore, 2-0, to win the 32nd Canon Malaysian International Open.

Dorin-Ballard knocked off Ng, 195-186 and 226-223, to claim the title at Pyramid Mega Lanes in suburban Kuala Lumpur. Needing a strike to sweep the championship match, Dorin-Ballard delivered a perfect strike to secure the title.

"I feel very fortunate because this is the first time I've been invited to compete in Malaysia, and I was able to win," Dorin-Ballard said. "Now that I am the defending champion, I can start planning my return trip next year to try and win again."

Dorin-Ballard was one of seven current and former Team USA members who competed in the Canon Malaysian International Open this week. Wendy Macpherson and Missy Bellinder finished tied for fifth, while Lynda Barnes took ninth.

On the men's side, reigning USBC Team USA Trials champion Cassidy Schaub, a two-handed lefty, finished tied for fifth. Past Team USA members Bill Hoffman and Tim Mack also competed but failed to reach the finals.

The American bowlers took on some of the top players in the Asian Zone, and Dorin-Ballard said she left with a new appreciation for the level of talent of the bowlers in Asia.

"The players here in Asia are really impressive," Dorin-Ballard said. "This is the first time I have seen many of them compete, and they really made me step back and appreciate just how much talent there is in this part of the world."

Zulmazran Zulkifli of Malaysia won the men's championship with a 2-1 victory over Surasak Manuwong of Thailand.