PDA

View Full Version : Which target arrow?

AIRBENDER
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I am new to bowling (other than recreationally). My question is what target arrow is best to use on most oil patterns. I am a lefty. Currently, I try to target the 10th board (second arrow from the left). I try to send the ball straight down this board and it hooks into the pocket. I have heard that using the 5th board (1st arrow) may produce a better angle to the pocket. I am a little nervous about using it since it is close to the gutter and I have put a few balls into the gutter after moving to my right during the game as an adjustment.

Also, I noticed when i was practicing the other day on a dry lane I was able to stand on the 7th board (for a right hand person) and aimed between the second and third arrows (10th and 15th board for lefties) and was able to produce more strikes. The angle seemed better. i was using the Storm Big Hit at the time. I guess I am a stroker because I don't think I put that many revs on the ball. My balls are finger tip grip though.

bowl1820
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Well for starting out your playing about where should be. Most start around the ten board (2nd Arrow the track area).

Remember when you move toward the outside of the lane (with your feet) and playing outside of ten . That's typically a dryer area, which calls for a faster speed and straighter line to the pocket ( don't try to loop the ball).

When playing close to the gutter, think of your hand following one board down the lane. This helps you not dump it in the gutter (like when playing the "twig" the 1 & 2 board).

11 in a row
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I am new to bowling (other than recreationally). My question is what target arrow is best to use on most oil patterns. I am a lefty. Currently, I try to target the 10th board (second arrow from the left). I try to send the ball straight down this board and it hooks into the pocket. I have heard that using the 5th board (1st arrow) may produce a better angle to the pocket. I am a little nervous about using it since it is close to the gutter and I have put a few balls into the gutter after moving to my right during the game as an adjustment.

Also, I noticed when i was practicing the other day on a dry lane I was able to stand on the 7th board (for a right hand person) and aimed between the second and third arrows (10th and 15th board for lefties) and was able to produce more strikes. The angle seemed better. i was using the Storm Big Hit at the time. I guess I am a stroker because I don't think I put that many revs on the ball. My balls are finger tip grip though.

i go between 1st arrow and 2nd arrow when i throw my ball down the lane. so being left handed as well you are about right as the above poster mentioned...so the heavier the shot the more direct you have to be to the pocket with your angle and the drier the lanes you move right and belly the ball out a little more and you have done that it sounds like.. practice with the 1 st arrow and it will come to you and get comfortable with it then you will be over the fear of the gutter... it will come around so stay with it...anytime you have to move inside and play futher out then you,ll have to open up a bit and give your ball more room to work with on the lane . i move going with my feet inside second arrow on the approach then send then ball over the 10board out to the 5 board and sometimes further out than that and watch your breakpoint also ..best time for this is practice..keep in mind you might have to work with your release a bit also when doing this as well..
goodluck..

goodluck

The KingPin
03-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Well for starting out your playing about where should be. Most start around the ten board (2nd Arrow the track area).

Remember when you move toward the outside of the lane (with your feet) and playing outside of ten . That's typically a dryer area, which calls for a faster speed and straighter line to the pocket ( don't try to loop the ball).

When playing close to the gutter, think of your hand following one board down the lane. This helps you not dump it in the gutter (like when playing the "twig" the 1 & 2 board).

I agree 100% this is how I play actually. Great advice and well noted.

dougb
03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree 100% this is how I play actually. Great advice and well noted.

I used to play down-and-in, almost straight up the 10 board/second arrow.

In the last few months I learned to put more revs on the ball, and this has forced me to move in. Depending on what the ball is doing, I now stand between the 25-35, shoot around the third arrow, and the ball breaks around the 10.

Now that I am starting to get comfortable playing that line, I'm looking at finger and wrist adjustments so I can play my old line, too. It seems like versatility is key to successful bowling!

alltenback
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Well seeing you are a lefty you have a big advantage. You can play straight up the 10 board all to yourself most league nights. Well at least that is what it is like in my league.

Just remember have fun and experiment during practices. See what feels more comfortable for ya.

kev3inp
03-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Well seeing you are a lefty you have a big advantage. You can play straight up the 10 board all to yourself most league nights. Well at least that is what it is like in my league.

Just remember have fun and experiment during practices. See what feels more comfortable for ya.

Is this another dig at "how easy it is on the left?" If it's so easy, why not switch hands? Why make the game harder than it has to be? Sounds masochistic to me.

Yes, if the shot is there it tends to stay and you need to make smaller adjustments, but if the shot isn't there it never shows up because there's not enough of us to modify the pattern to our liking.

If a lefty has a good game it's because it's so easy on the left, never that he bowled well. You'd think this predjudice would have died by now, but I guess we're not sufficiently evolved yet.

MH1313
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not certain anyone can tell you how best to shoot. IMHO you just need to spend time bowling, and working with each arrow on the lane. I personally used to challenge myself (and still do) during practice in between league to throw strikes on every mark possible for a righty. So I'll take two frames per mark starting on the 1 arrow and working through the 4, then back out....its an excellent challenge to teach you what you and your ball are capable of, not to mention different lane conditions may require a seperate shot.

Once you master this ( or at least get a handle on it) you can change your approach for more speed, or less speed, also great for helping with different conditions.

Since you are new, the trick is repitition, do the same thing every time...and you'll be able to adjust.

maverick_124
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
i never look at the arrows...i do horribale when i look at them and not the pins (and i know y'all will complaine about it 30 people already have). BUT i have my left foot on the thick whiter boards on the left of center 2nd arrow from the gutter and i throw my ball to the same boards on the right side. and i usally can stay right there and just move up a little every game around 1" farther up and i stay with in 1" of the pocket every time unless i seriously screw up and throw across my body lol

AIRBENDER
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Thank you all for you comments. I learn a lot from them. This past week I started out with my normal straight down the 10 board and was getting too much hook. I kept getting brooklyns at first until I was completely missing the pocket even on the brooklyn side. So I moved in to the right side 12 board and threw to the left 15 board and seemed to find the pocket again. I was too chicken to move left (outside) to try the 5 board because I did not want to hurt my team. We did well and won all the games any way. My highest game was 174 (scratch) so I was proud of that since my handicap is 72. The season is coming to an end so I will take the summer to work on the 5 board and other approaches. My spare game needs the most help right now, but hopefully, it will improve when I get my plastic ball. Thanks alot again. You guys really help me and keep me motivated to bowl well. Glad I joined this group.

Jord_84
03-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Is this another dig at "how easy it is on the left?" If it's so easy, why not switch hands? Why make the game harder than it has to be? Sounds masochistic to me.

Yes, if the shot is there it tends to stay and you need to make smaller adjustments, but if the shot isn't there it never shows up because there's not enough of us to modify the pattern to our liking.

If a lefty has a good game it's because it's so easy on the left, never that he bowled well. You'd think this predjudice would have died by now, but I guess we're not sufficiently evolved yet.

Not trying to stir the kettle...but what kind of comments have you heard regarding lefties? My coaches in high school always said that lefties had a good natural hook....that's the only comment I've really heard, and I don't think it discredits a persons skills at all. Didn't realize there was a feud between lefties and righties, or that some people would actually go so low as to discredit ones ability to bowl well because of which hand they do it with.

MH1313
03-31-2009, 02:21 PM
as a righty with many lefty friends, they all do have very natural hooks, not sure if its more natural than mine...but, I do give them a hard time about the lane conditions. I do need to qualify that they know I have the utmost respect for them, and their abilities! I think the fued or argument is because there is significantly less left handed bowlers than right so the conditions will stay "the same" longer. They do still require the skill and knowledge to find the pocket and carry, but once they get it, they can stay there longer.

last week for example I was moving every other frame because there were 4 other bowlers running my same line. Its part of the game...I enjoy bowling against a lefty personally...its a nice challenge

Bobgpaa
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Airbender, something you need to think about is where do I start my approach. I start around ten boards from the middle. I reference from the middle because some houses have 7 dots, some have 5. If you are consistant with your starting point then you will consistant with your delivery. Always start from the same point. A lot of bowlers tend to ignore where they start their approach and as a result have lower scores. Practice helps. Good luck.

MH1313
04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Another thing to add to bobs post...

make note of your starting point, as well as the board you end up your slide on! I used to have a 6 board drift to the left...we could never sort out the origin of my drift, but none the less, it existed...now I'm down to 4, but its still somethign to pay attention to!

playbowl
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Not trying to stir the kettle...but what kind of comments have you heard regarding lefties? My coaches in high school always said that lefties had a good natural hook....that's the only comment I've really heard, and I don't think it discredits a persons skills at all. Didn't realize there was a feud between lefties and righties, or that some people would actually go so low as to discredit ones ability to bowl well because of which hand they do it with.

There is a perceived advantage by some due to fewer bowlers on that side. There are a number of factors that lefties have that righties don't. Lane topography - generally smoother. Oil condition - generally fresher.
Backends - generally drier. Transition - generally slower due to less traffic.

Does that give them an advantage? Only in the minds of those looking for excuses why they are not bowling well. If you were a lefty and in a tournament bowling on the PBAX - Shark pattern and had to move 2 pairs right over 5 games and not crossing with any lefties - you have a fresh pattern on every pair. That is not an advantage. On shorter or less volume patterns - maybe. Still, the advantage would be slight.

It still always boils down to matching up equipment, repetition of shots and knowing how and when to adjust.

Bowling is fun - winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
USBC Silver Coach
playbowlpro.com

MH1313
04-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm going to slightly disagree with you...lefties do have an advantage due to the less traffic WHEN the conditions are right for that bowler due to the slower transition of the lane. They'll be able to stay in the good spot longer.

If the lanes aren't working with the bowler, then yeah they are screwed.

The only reason I say this is because on my bowling team, in my home center...there is typically between 8 and 9 guys bowling on the same line (or close to it) this makes for a fast break down. I can have an epic string of strikes taken away from me due to breakdown that I don't even get to see until I throw my ball...

jus sayin...

I agree bowling is fun...I never rip on a lefty for being what they are.

playbowl
04-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm going to slightly disagree with you...lefties do have an advantage due to the less traffic WHEN the conditions are right for that bowler due to the slower transition of the lane. They'll be able to stay in the good spot longer.

If the lanes aren't working with the bowler, then yeah they are screwed.

The only reason I say this is because on my bowling team, in my home center...there is typically between 8 and 9 guys bowling on the same line (or close to it) this makes for a fast break down. I can have an epic string of strikes taken away from me due to breakdown that I don't even get to see until I throw my ball...

jus sayin...

I agree bowling is fun...I never rip on a lefty for being what they are.

You are absolutely correct that the transition is slower with fewer bowlers. There is not as pronounced of a track area on the left either. All factors that could produce a better scoring pace. Maybe a thread about team strategy is needed.

MH1313
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
If not a thread on team strategy, a talk with my team would probably help :) we have guys who are able to run inside, but choose not to until the "community" line is dead, then the rest of us are left hanging...

fbushstl
04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
across 3rd arrow to 1st arrow and back

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:41 AM
my bit on this. You dont have to use the arrows. Everything in between is fine as well. So try going a board left of 10, then maybe two boards. Do it a little at a time. Sometimes it makes a huge difference just moving two boards left of the arrow.

mrbill
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM

when all my kids started i had them stand left of center had them bend there knees and watched there aproch and arm swing and hook if any. then I had them move left or right and just throw the ball stright and let the ball do the work and hook into the pocket. They did that for a week or 2 now ones a cranker and the other does not use his thumb and the girls just need some work I'll be nice;)

P.S. There all rightys

andrukit
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM
my bit on this. You dont have to use the arrows. Everything in between is fine as well. So try going a board left of 10, then maybe two boards. Do it a little at a time. Sometimes it makes a huge difference just moving two boards left of the arrow.

to add to this, I wrote a comment at another post:
http://bowlingboards.com/showpost.php?p=17477&postcount=14

gparks
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
i will stay clear of the righty/lefty battles i am a righty and something i recently picked up is paralel moves i.e. If my normal 10 board shot dries up, in league it always does ill move two boards left on apporach and two boards(12 board) to the left of targets.in practice ive been trying this to the right as well,seems like my ball hits harder/has more energy coming from 7or 8 board. I havent tried this on league yet but im close to trusting it and i too worry bout the gutter when i move out of the *safe* 10 board zone goodluck and keep us posted on your progress