PDA

View Full Version : On the Lanes with Mike Shady

onefrombills
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
On the Lanes with Mike Shady

3/19/2009
By Matt Cannizzaro
USBC Communications

In the coming months, we'll talk with some of best-known bowlers at the Open Championships and get their thoughts on their time at the tournament and what it takes to succeed on the championship lanes.

This week, we heard from Mike Shady, who will be in Las Vegas to compete in this year's event on April 3 and 4.

Shady, who will be making his 14th consecutive tournament appearance, has topped the 1,900 mark in all-events every year and currently is second on the 10-year average list with 222.7 behind 2003 Regular Doubles champion Derek Sapp of Keokuk, Iowa (224.47).

Shady is a member of the Smith Barney 1 team that won the Team All-Events title in 2005, and he turned in his best personal effort in 2007 when his 2,126 all-events total helped him to top-10 finishes in Team All-Events (second), doubles (fifth), all-events (ninth) and team (10th).

The accomplished right-hander also owns one Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association title, the 1992 Earl Anthony Open.

HOMETOWN: Ripon, Wisconsin

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS APPEARANCES: 14 or 15

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS TITLES: ONE (Team All-Events, 2005)

BOWLING BALL WEIGHT: 16

FAVORITE BRAND OF BOWLING BALLS: Ebonite - I have been a staff member with Ebonite since 1992. A GREAT company!

ONE all-time favorite host city: Baton Rouge

TWO best Open Championships memories: 1. 2005 Team All-Events championship. 2. Albuquerque (2000): Took the team lead and broke the high team game record with 1266.

THREE keys to success at the Open Championships: 1. Team - must communicate as a team and follow a lane play strategy as a team. 2. Preparation - prepare physically and mentally prior to the event. 3. Patience - need to mentally bowl in the present and make the best possible shot for that current shot.

FOURgettable Open Championships moment: 2007 Reno - connecting flight in Las Vegas cancelled and almost missed TEAM event squad time.

FIVE bowlers in history on your Open Championships fantasy all-star team: Jeff Richgels - arguably the most successful USBC bowler in the history of the tournament; Michael Machuga - tremendous skills and GREAT team player; Norm Duke - top 3 player of all time; Walter Ray Williams Jr. - greatest bowler in the history of the sport; Dick Weber - Great team player, talent and tremendous human being.

SIX bowling balls currently in your Open Championships arsenal: Ebonite Magic, Ebonite Pin Slasher, Ebonite One Pearl, Ebonite Striking Motion, Ebonite NVD, Ebonite RAID

SEVEN cities you'd like to see the Open Championships go to/return to: Baton Rouge, Albuquerque, Orlando, Knoxville, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Dallas

EIGHT favorite bowling balls ever: Columbia Pearl U2, Blue Hammer, Ebonite Nitro/R, Ebonite V2, Ebonite Pin Slasher, Ebonite Total NV, Ebonite ONE, Ebonite Magic

NINE other current/eligible bowlers you would choose to join you on your ideal pair of companion teams at the Open Championships: Current nine bowlers that I bowl with: Marc McDowell, Jeff Richgels, Steve Richter, Gail Myers, John Wittkowske, Brett Faulkner, Tom Howery, Dan Goepfert, Brian Thyes

TEN seconds or less, who is your favorite bowler of all-time?: Amateur: My father (Butch Shady) - one of the better bowlers I have ever watched in my lifetime; Professional - Earl Anthony- a boyhood idol, a friend and fortunate to win his tournament - 1992 Earl Anthony Open

ELEVEN strikes in a row to start a game at the Open Championships, what's going through your head?: Same thought process as the previous 11 shots - pre-shot routine, relax and make a quality shot

TWELVE years from now, where do you hope to be in your bowling career?: Still bowling with my current team at a highly competitive level, earned multiple eagles, a PBA Senior champion, a strong enough resume to be considered for the HOF and a premier bowling instructor.