PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever bowl with... a plastic ball?

The KingPin
03-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Ok so it might be odd for some, but do you and have you ever just bowled with a plastic ball?

Was it for fun or because of an injury, or do you bowl best with a plastic ball?

Tell us what you think.

ThongPrincess
03-31-2009, 11:36 PM
One of the center's in the area had a problem with the heads holding oil. I only bowl there for tournaments and now won't even bowl tournaments there. Anyhow, by the 2nd game plastic was the only thing that would stay on the lane. A friend of mine and I were bowling a tourney together. He knew my plastic usually rolled really straight. After a few frames, he came over and asked how I was getting the plastic to hook so much :eek:

Then there are those nights the lanes are just a little too dry and the plastic becomes the go to ball. I shot 661 last summer using only my Blue Dot :p

kev3inp
04-01-2009, 05:30 AM
I've used plastic when it got really dry. It could get to the pocket, but didn't seem to drive through very well. Lots of deflection.

Jord_84
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I've used plastic when it got really dry. It could get to the pocket, but didn't seem to drive through very well. Lots of deflection.

same here. about 3 of the girls on our team for state had to switch over to their plastic balls for singles and doubles because the lanes were so dry. One girl bowled a 194 with her plastic ball lol!

jaws1945
04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I don't own one. The last time I used a plastic ball was when they were being used regularly, prior to the advent of resin equipment.

11 in a row
04-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Ok so it might be odd for some, but do you and have you ever just bowled with a plastic ball?

Was it for fun or because of an injury, or do you bowl best with a plastic ball?

Tell us what you think.

i started out bowling with pastic but since then every now and then i,ll roll my plastic.
i use it alot during practice for accuracy and spares..i also use my plastic for corner pins also.

so for the most part i,ll do it for fun but work on some things in practice..

JAnderson
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
On drastically over-under conditions, I often switch to my plastic spare ball which has a basic pancake "core". Other times, it is a good choice when the back ends are flying and reactive equipment is rolling out with a forward-roll style release. As long as the condition allows for enough friction on the lane, plastic is always an option.

kev3inp
04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
J! Great to see you back on again! Hope you are doing well.

All you others, this is a guy I really respect. He knows his Shiite. And he's mostly Sunni! LOL! I'm, such a weiner sometimes!

billlallen
04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I once bowled a 273 game with a columbia blue dot. This was years ago at the old showboat lanes in Las Vegas. They were hooking so bad that this was the only thing that I could keep on the right side of the headpin.

JAnderson
04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
J! Great to see you back on again! Hope you are doing well.

All you others, this is a guy I really respect. He knows his Shiite. And he's mostly Sunni! LOL! I'm, such a weiner sometimes!

Thanks and thanks :)

kotrakman
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes i still use a plastic ball for the ten pin. I have a Ebonite red turbo drilled with negative axis weight just for the ten pin.
I use a cell for my strike ball.

MH1313
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
i've never used a plastic ball since I started bowling. when the time comes for me to shoot a ten pin (which is quite often) I just flatten out my wrist and throw a nice straight ball to reach out there. Its been the most comfortable for me...I do have a lot of friends that require a spare ball though. I am happy keeping another strike ball in my bag instead of a limited use ball.

ebowler
04-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Usually only for the 6,9,10, and 7 pins

BXTECH
04-13-2009, 05:28 AM
At one time i was on the "use a plastic ball for all spares" mentality, but now i find no reason to use a plastic. Straight up the back and/or backup has been quite effectiuve for me.

No Open Tenths
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I have and do use my plastic ball when the lanes are really sketchy, or sometimes just for fun. Playing the 2-3 board is just alot of fun and something that isn't that easy to do on most THS with reactive equipment. I shot a 278 game with mine at one point and it was probably the most fun I had had bowling in years.

I made the suggestion a few years ago that one of the local houses hold a plastic ball only tournament, but they didn't believe very many would shoe up for it. This was long before the PBA decided to run one this year.

Strike Domination
04-18-2009, 01:32 AM
I've never used my plastic ball in competition but I have in practice. The main reason I don't use it in competition is because it doesn't have a core so it won't hit well if it finds oil. If it's all bone dry, it's probably as good as anything else.