PDA

View Full Version : Website help

nickcuban
04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
OK, so I just bought my first domain and a friend is hosting it for me. I am not sure what I want to do with it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload stuff to it. I have the ftp site address, my username and password but cant seem to do it.

I tried filezilla and a few free editors with no luck. Any tips? I tried google but just got a TON or jargon I don't understand.

bowl1820
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I use FireFTP addon for mozilla Firefox to up load stuff.

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

kakcpa
04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Filezilla works really well. I use CUTE FTP

The KingPin
04-03-2009, 01:23 AM
OK, so I just bought my first domain and a friend is hosting it for me. I am not sure what I want to do with it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload stuff to it. I have the ftp site address, my username and password but cant seem to do it.

I tried filezilla and a few free editors with no luck. Any tips? I tried google but just got a TON or jargon I don't understand.

Hello,

As everyone has mentioned an ftp client is what you need. I have used filezilla, cute ftp, and smart ftp

How it will work is whatever files you have on your home or work computer, will open up in one of these clients and it will also show your Public domain.

Your home files or local files will be listed for you to pick what you want to upload.

I am not sure if you use some sort of html software, it is important to make sure your saving your info for the web. It seems intimidating at first, yet with time you will do it while your sleeping.

I can walk you through this via email or IM if you ever have the time.

Chris - BowlingBoards.com

nickcuban
04-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I figured out that I wasn't updating the "index.html" so it wasn't updating the main site. So far I have no idea what to do with the site lol.

The KingPin
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
What type of site are you working on?

nickcuban
04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I have no idea lol.

nickcuban
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Anyone have any idea of what to do with it? I was thinking of making it basically a forum like this or nonewbs.com, but not having it topic specific. Mostly like a massive off topic and some broad subtopics.