PDA

View Full Version : shoes?

MH1313
04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I've been rolling in the dexter sst1's for 8yrs...

so my question is, is there a point for me to buy the more expensive sst's that have the changable soles/heels? I'm on the fence as to whether I'll need it...

thoughts?

Tjames300
04-03-2009, 10:03 PM
MH1313, I have been with the Dexter SST 6's for awhile. I like the ability to change the sole if needed but I find myself hardly ever doing it. I bowl at a couple of different houses around here and quite a few tournaments around. I can't honestly remember the last time I had to change the sole. Probably last year I changed it once and in Reno for nationals during the 40 frame game I changed it. If you happen to step in water or god forbid beer it is nice to be able to rip off the sole and put a new one on, so if you count that I have changed a few times but it has always been to the same "number" I like that feeling of security but other than that if you are good with permanent soles I think you should stay with them.
Tim

onefrombills
04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I've been rolling in the dexter sst1's for 8yrs...

so my question is, is there a point for me to buy the more expensive sst's that have the changable soles/heels? I'm on the fence as to whether I'll need it...

thoughts?

WOW ........SST 1's ....WOW

I would say you may want to look to a new pair if their old and run down.

Im a B I G fan of Etonic Shoes because they have a higher arch than Dexter's

MH1313
04-04-2009, 03:10 PM
yeah I'm still rolling in the same pair.

They are in good shape, but they are slowly starting to wear out. I notice where the leather meets the sole, stiches are beginning to loosen.

The sliding sole still works well, but it does have some signs of wear.

I could probably use a higher arch...what model of Etonics do you wear?

cheers!
MH

JaxBowlingGuy
04-04-2009, 10:38 PM
I had the SST6's for a couple years and now am using the SST8's... With the price of around $130 on mostg of the bowling sites you cant really beat the price for the length of time that they are used.. I personally like the interchangable heels and soles since I bowl in so many different houses.. Some have the wood approaches while others have the synthetic... Its always nice to have a consistant slide/plant no matter the conditions.

jmainville
04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I've had my SST6's for about 5 years now. I cant imagine every buying a better pair of shoes. I've never even switched pads. They feel just as good now as they did when I bought them. The only adjustment I've made is some insoles for comfort. After bowling 2,000+ games in them they are a little flat in the cushion department. But when the time comes, I hope I wil only need to get new pads

maverick_124
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
iv had dexter (idk the model) for 10 years and both the inside and outside are wearing down (IE: the sliding sole is coming off and the padding inside is ripping off) but the right shoe with all the grip is perfect still

11 in a row
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
i had the dexter sst 7,s and it felt great but the tip of my plant foot the toe wore down but they were a great pair for me for many years but now i roll with dexter blaze and everybody thinks i,m rolling with my tennis shoes,lol... very comfortable pair... i like the sst8,s too...

maverick_124
04-09-2009, 11:09 PM
whats a good cheap pair of shoes??? or should i keep my shoes with the slider?

MH1313
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Define cheap? I feel $100 is cheap because thats pretty much the minimum price I pay for the minimum shoe I'm willing to wear.

Do you want shoes with slider soles on both feet or just one?

As far as brands go, I don't think you can go wrong with any really...I've only worn dexters myself, but thats only because its what my team wore in high school when I first started bowling

Jord_84
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
since we're on the subject of shoes....does brunswick still make those ridiculously tacky looking ones?....black with silver all over them?
I'm noticing a lack of flashy looking shoes in the pro shops.....but those are the ones I like :D

Graaille
04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
since we're on the subject of shoes....does brunswick still make those ridiculously tacky looking ones?....black with silver all over them?
I'm noticing a lack of flashy looking shoes in the pro shops.....but those are the ones I like :D

What, something like this:http://www.bowling.com/products/brunswick-mens-swirl-grey-black-right-hand.htm

or maybe this if you're not into black/grey: http://www.bowling.com/products/brunswick-mens-swirl-orange-green-right-hand.htm

But if you want the black/silver/tacky -- Etonic has some that you might be interested in: http://www.bowling.com/products/etonic-stabilite-mens-action-black-silver-rh.htm

or if you're hot stuff: http://www.bowling.com/products/etonic-stabilite-plus-mens-lava-left-hand.htm

Jord_84
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
those are all men's shoes =(

there's a lack of tacky-looking women's shoes out there.
brunswick made a great pair back when I bowled high school, but I don't see anything even close to what those looked like anymore

k, I've changed the text in my sig to pink...maybe this will clear up any gender confusion since everyone seems to think I'm a dude lol

MH1313
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Just because the links are for men's shoes does that mean you can't wear them? I'm not sure how the foot size conversion thing works, but a shoe is a shoe...

I have to apologize...I think they are slowing down the production of flashy shoes due to people like me...I chuckle whenever I see someone with flames on their shoes, or some gawdy production on their shirt...

I guess it boils down to I'm a snob when it comes to bowling. I always try to look as "quiet" as possible...nothing too flashy.

I appreciate people expressing themselves how they see fit, but I do reserve the right to giggle a little bit when I see you doing it ;) I don't mean any offense by it :) It just makes me laugh...

Jord_84
04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
The flashy shirts just kill me lol

but for whatever reason, I wish I could track down those tacky shoes. It was a pair from the late 90's early 2000's, either brunswick or dexter made them, and they were black with silver metallic parts on them...I don't know how to describe them, and I can't even find a picture anywhere!

These may suit my tacky needs though:
http://www.buddiesproshop.com/include/image.aspx?image=5917%2Ejpg&width=175

MH1313
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Those are mighty Tacky indeed! I like the shiney sides to them...before I purchased my first pair of "good shoes" I permanentaly borrowed a pair of shoes from a bowling house not far from my home center. They were purple and red...man you could really see me coming!

now I'm all about looking plain and low key...

I like those shoes though! I just couldn't wear them...nto to mention I'm not a girl! haha

Graaille
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
those are all men's shoes =(

there's a lack of tacky-looking women's shoes out there.
brunswick made a great pair back when I bowled high school, but I don't see anything even close to what those looked like anymore

k, I've changed the text in my sig to pink...maybe this will clear up any gender confusion since everyone seems to think I'm a dude lol

Sorry, I'm one of those people who fails to investigate who I'm answering to make sure the answer is gender correct. I'll put a note down to say Jord_84=female, harass if possible. :p

maverick_124
04-14-2009, 11:10 PM
i only want the slider on the left foot

MH1313
04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I like to up the anty and have my slide foot on the wrong foot...let me tell ya you get your timing down fast! haha!!!

there is a funny storry about my "street shoes" quote in my sig...

Jord_84
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
a funny storry about my "street shoes" quote in my sig...
uh oh, you've said to much....now you have to share! lol

MH1313
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
so my friends all affectionately call me HOLIDAY (its how my last name sounds)...

This was a few years ago when I was drinking VERY heavily during league. I still carried a healthy average, so its not like I was out of control...There was 3 of us who would each drink 1-2 pitchers of beer throughout the night. One night in between 2nd and 3rd game, I went into the bar to have a quick smoke. Well I am pretty anal about taking my bowling shoes out of the "no street shoe zone" so I slipped on my street shoes.

I was in the bar burning down my heater as fast as possible, when I realized it was my turn to bowl. I ran out of the bar, onto the approach, picked up my ball, started the motions and as I went to slide, all you heard was a loud screech followed by a sound very familiar to me falling face first on the lane, no hands, just face.

I'm drunk, so I stand up ask the guys if I drug my heal because that screech was LOUD!

Obviously I fouled so I walk back to the ball return, and pick up my ball. Take 3 deep breaths to calm my nerves...I start my approach and BAM I fall again!!! this time I managed to stay behind the foul line so no harm, no foul! I stand up, watch the ball knock down all the pins, notice half the house is looking at me when all I hear is

"MATT HOLIDAY!!!!"

me: "WHAT!?!?!?"

"YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!!!!!"

my street shoes and bowling shoes feel so similar that I hadn't even noticed (drunk didn't help either)

Here ends the story...as an update, I quit drinking at league (DUI dangers) and this hasn't happened since! I have however watched others do it since :)

cheers!

Jord_84
04-15-2009, 12:45 PM
hahahaha nice!

maverick_124
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
lmao sounds like something i would do even tho im only 19 haha im just very forget full

MH1313
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
this story gets brought up a few times a year, so I have it rehearsed pretty well! I tell ya for the first week of every year whenever I get back everyone looks me up and down and asks...ya wearing the right shoes?!?!?

its a classic. Glad I could share.

maverick_124
04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
gives u a good laugh every time no?

MH1313
04-15-2009, 06:02 PM
yeah pretty much, it was embarrassing at first, but now I get a good laugh out of it.

we should almost make a thread out of this..."what are the dumb things you've done while bowling..." I could post a few stories to that one!

Strike Domination
04-19-2009, 01:32 AM
I've almost bowled with my street shoes accidentally, but I noticed when I looked down to line up. Everytime I've bowled with my street shoes I do a hop at least, lucky if I don't fall. Makes me wonder why that is when some people plant and this isn't very different.

Dumb things you've done while bowling. This is more funny than dumb since no one got hurt but last year on the last day of league it was 9-pin and two of my friends decided to take turns giving each other piggy back rides during their approach. It was entertaining for me.