PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this a load of crap, NJ cracks down on 50/50s

JerseyJim
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
This is one reason that it bites to live in NJ.

http://dailyrecord.com/article/20090407/UPDATES01/90407005

MH1313
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but i had to look up what a 50/50 is...with that aside, what is the need for this?

In my leagues our dues are split as follows: lineage, staff fees (secretary, president....), prize fund. Our banquet is paid for entirely by the bowlers who attend the banquet. Our banquets are typically a dinner and dissemination of prize funds. We go to a local restaurant/catering facility, then just pay for our dinner...typically $15.

I don't understand why you would need a raffle to generate money. Do you do something else that is really special/expensive?

A solution is could you tack a dollar onto everyones league fees to help make up this money?

thanks...I'm really curious about this!

MH

Jord_84
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
50/50's are just always fun to get into. yeah, they help raise money for end of the year festivities, but I play them just for the fun of it.
that's a crock that they're fining the centers $3,000!

onefrombills
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
This is one reason that it bites to live in NJ.

Other than being the landfill for NEW YORK..... j/k

That does sux that you can not do the 50/50's

JerseyJim
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but i had to look up what a 50/50 is...with that aside, what is the need for this?

In my leagues our dues are split as follows: lineage, staff fees (secretary, president....), prize fund. Our banquet is paid for entirely by the bowlers who attend the banquet. Our banquets are typically a dinner and dissemination of prize funds. We go to a local restaurant/catering facility, then just pay for our dinner...typically $15.

I don't understand why you would need a raffle to generate money. Do you do something else that is really special/expensive?

A solution is could you tack a dollar onto everyones league fees to help make up this money?

thanks...I'm really curious about this!

MH

A 50/50 is where half of the money generated goes to a fund, and the other half is awarded as a prize.

Generally we use this as a way to generate more prize money. There are monetary awards for a bunch of diifferent categories. Some leagues use it as a way to fund banquets. Not everyone wants to go to them, so rather than funding through league fees, they use 50/50s. This has been going on since I've started bowling leagues in NJ, around 32 years. NJ is going through a budget crunch, so they start cracking down on stupid stuff. I would rather see them investigate where the millions of dollars in the school construction fund disappeared to.

MH1313
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Okay, yeah that makes good sense now, thanks for explaining it! I've often felt it would be nice to have money for some of the areas of bowling that typically don't get recognized.

haha yeah it'd be nice for the government to require the same accountability and regulations they hold us to! well it may be nice...it may also make me cry seeing where funds that disappear actually end up

JerseyJim
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
It was a big subject on the local talk radio. A couple of the jocks suggested that we send old bowling balls to the state's Attorney General. I'm almost tempted to do that. The story is that someone called the state gaming commission to report that a bowling alley was running an illegal lottery. As a result, the state investigated all 73 bowling houses in the state. I'm amazed that they're doing this during an election year with an unpopular governor running for re-election, along with most of the state reps.

kev3inp
04-08-2009, 05:02 AM
50-50's are fun. We finally won one last Sunday. Big money too, $15.00! LOL! Are they banning strike pots, too? I think it's just an excuse to tax them so they get a cut.

JerseyJim
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
The state backed off the fines. We still can't run 50/50s though.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/nj_bowling_alleys_face_no_fine.html

BXTECH
04-13-2009, 05:20 AM
The person who told probably never won any raffles. All it takes is for 1 knucklehead!

JerseyJim
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
The person who told probably never won any raffles. All it takes is for 1 knucklehead!

This was a fishing expedition by the Consumer Affairs department. If there was a complaint about a particular alley, why investigate every bowling alley in the state? The reason that they backed off was that a lot of people complained about the fines without a warning.

11 in a row
04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
me and my teammate always gets in it and we split the money anytime we win it.
it,s fun and it support our local association,s awards program..

MH1313
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
darn people and their knuckle heads!

its a shame you can't do that stuff anymore though...so now are you all stuck with pull tabs like the rest of us?