PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee quintet sets all-time USBC team series record

onefrombills
04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
4/8/2009

By Mark Miller
USBC Communications

Members of Pro Bowl West set a United States Bowling Congress record for highest team series with 3,937 on March 30 in Chattanooga, Tenn. The score was officially approved by USBC on April 7.

Chris Cross, Gary Workman, Chris Massengale, Anthony Reviere and Frank Massengale had 1,341, 1,250 and 1,346 games in the Eastgate Men's League at Holiday Bowl. That beat the 3,934 by Limo Exchange in New Castle, Del., in 2004.

"It's amazing that five guys all could bowl that well at the same time. It was totally awesome," said team captain Frank Massengale, a member of 1991 USBC Open Championships winner Tri-State Lanes.

"Setting a five-man series record compares to winning the national title which was in my first nationals," Massengale said. "It means a lot this time to bowl with my son."

Massengale's son Chris led the team with 828 including an opening 290 game. Cross, the team's lone left-hander, was next at 805 with a 290 final game. Frank Massengale had 784, Workman 772 and Reviere 748.

"We didn't know we had the record until the next day," Chris Massengale said. "It was just one of those things you don't think about. We definitely were not shooting for a record. We just wanted to get into the (April 13) league roll-off."

In addition to its national series record, Pro Bowl West's 142 strikes tied with Westgate Bowl of Grand Rapids, Mich., in 2004 for the most in a series. It also broke its own city series record of 3,733 last year. The previous Chattanooga high game was 1,339 while Pro Bowl West held the old city series record with 3,733. The previous state high series was 3,746 by Get You Summa That in Nashville in 1997.

"This is only our second year as a team," said Frank Massengale, who dedicated the feat to old friend and bowling partner Dale Bumgarner who died late in 2008. "Last year was a first step. We broke the five-man city record and missed the state by 13 pins. This is awesome."

TN_Valley
04-16-2009, 09:33 AM
These are all really good bowlers from my area. The shot around here is also REALLY easy. It's only the beginning for these guys. If they're on, they're impossible to beat.

JAnderson
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
These are all really good bowlers from my area. The shot around here is also REALLY easy.

That's why this quote from the article boggles my mind:

"Setting a five-man series record compares to winning the national title which was in my first nationals," Massengale said. "It means a lot this time to bowl with my son."

I understand the whole "do it with your son" thing, but I'll take the Eagle over a record which will be broken any day. Consider the environment.

OFB - very subtle choice of forum. Nice.

TN_Valley
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I didn't know that they managed to win an eagle, which is neat. He said this "compares" to winning the eagle, not is greater than. You do realize that each of the five teammates AVERAGED 262.26 per game. How many times have you seen two people do that on the same team in the same night of league. That is amazing that they stacked a team like that.