PDA

View Full Version : Amateurs only

jaws1945
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I think the USBC national tournament should bar anyone with a PBA card from participating in the tournament. This is just my opinion, but it seems the pros pull alot of cash out of the tournament every year. Either that or raise the average for the classified division.

onefrombills
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I think the USBC national tournament should bar anyone with a PBA card from participating in the tournament. This is just my opinion, but it seems the pros pull alot of cash out of the tournament every year. Either that or raise the average for the classified division.

This may become a heated discusion so stay tuned:

I think whats the diffrence if someone has a PBA card or not ?

What makes a 220 avg person WITH a PBA card diffrent than a 220 avg person WITHOUT a PBA card ?

Also the USBC Open Championships HAS a 2 year wait for a former exempt player to be able to bowl the Tournament.

I hope this helps and clears up any misunderstanding.

jaws1945
04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
You have made a good point. I didn't know about the exemption rule. I know there are quite a few faux 200+ average bowlers who become totally lost on a tough condition or when they have to shoot alot of spares. The tournament takes care of those.
How about this? raise the classified division to at least 190. There isn't a chance in hell that a 180-190 average bowler could ever win the regular division.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I can agree with raising the ave cut. If not that maybe even add in a 3rd division..

169 and below
170-199
200+

But also make it to where you have the option to enter a higer division. With doing that I think they could pull in more $ from the lower average bowlers that cant compete with even say the 170ish ave bowlers.. Im talking about the 130-140 ave crowd.. Alot of people just choose not to go because they dont see that they have a chance.

MH1313
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
But also make it to where you have the option to enter a higer division. With doing that I think they could pull in more $ from the lower average bowlers that cant compete with even say the 170ish ave bowlers.. Im talking about the 130-140 ave crowd.. Alot of people just choose not to go because they dont see that they have a chance.

I completely agree! Bear in mind I've never been to nationals, this is my first year, and I leave on FRIDAY!!!

I do know however a lot of bowlers with lower averages who would LOVE to go, but due to their average feel its a waste of time and money...nationals isn't cheap! I'm going to be carrying a 179 average into the tournament, and I'm looking forwrad to being in a good position to do some work in the lower tier.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I completely agree! Bear in mind I've never been to nationals, this is my first year, and I leave on FRIDAY!!!

I do know however a lot of bowlers with lower averages who would LOVE to go, but due to their average feel its a waste of time and money...nationals isn't cheap! I'm going to be carrying a 179 average into the tournament, and I'm looking forwrad to being in a good position to do some work in the lower tier.

Im just like you, taking a 179 ave out there july 17th. :-) I dont know if ill make the trip from FL to Reno next year with being in the regular division.. I know i would just be going to donate $$ and I dont want to do that...lol Maybe I can do something this year while there.

TN_Valley
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm carrying a 215 book into this years tournament. July 22-23 for me. I agree that the multiple divisions would help the lower average bowlers to want to attend. My ability has not improved much since averaging 190. The only difference is the frequency of when I shoot 650's and the lessening of the frequency of shooting 520's. My goal in this is just to cover my spares. If you can do that, you can get at least your entry fee back. I've cashed in doubles in all but one of my 5 tournaments. In that one, I cashed in singles. Don't be afraid of us "big dogs" You can't win if you don't try. I personally use this as more of a vacation than a bowling trip. We'll be going to Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon while we're out there.

Now that I'm done with my hijack. Pros vs ameteurs: Most Pros can enter into local and state tournaments too. If they want to pay thier money, I don't have a problem with it. The more that enter, the more money in the prize fund overall.

playbowl
04-16-2009, 09:58 AM
MH1313
Having bowled in the Regular division I can assure you that any TEAM that prepares their equipment, practices the shot and works together with their "sister" team will do well at the USBC Nationals. Singles and Doubles is luck of the draw as far as who bowled before you. It is always a fair and playable shot. Is it a house shot - absolutely not. If you do not bowl at home on Sport or PBAX conditions you are in for a surprise. For your first year just take it all in and enjoy the experience, leave your ego at home. It is a grand event that every bowler should experience at least once in their life. It will help you understand just how good the PBA stars really are. The National Bowling Stadium is worth the trip to Reno to say you bowled there. At a 179 average you are at the top of the Classified Division and should score well, stay out of brackets.
Good Luck in Vegas.

jaws1945
04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I stay away from the brackets as well. I would have better luck putting $10 on hard eight.

MH1313
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
MH1313
Having bowled in the Regular division I can assure you that any TEAM that prepares their equipment, practices the shot and works together with their "sister" team will do well at the USBC Nationals. Singles and Doubles is luck of the draw as far as who bowled before you. It is always a fair and playable shot. Is it a house shot - absolutely not. If you do not bowl at home on Sport or PBAX conditions you are in for a surprise. For your first year just take it all in and enjoy the experience, leave your ego at home. It is a grand event that every bowler should experience at least once in their life. It will help you understand just how good the PBA stars really are. The National Bowling Stadium is worth the trip to Reno to say you bowled there. At a 179 average you are at the top of the Classified Division and should score well, stay out of brackets.
Good Luck in Vegas.

Play,

Thanks for the advice, I've been practicing on the shot (as best as we can match it) at my home center with a group of guys who have all been going for 20+ years...they have helped me a lot with understanding what is going on with that level of shot.

I've been shocked at how little my ball reacts, fortunately I'm a fairly accurate shooter. I've been having to run up the 8 board with a slight angle towards the head pin, and its worked "alright" I don't think I'm going to bowl out of my mind there, but as you said, Ego is checked at the door! I'm a fairly humble person to begin with keeping in mind for every good series I have I very well may have a crappy one the next night.

Thanks for the advice on the brackets...I normally destroy the brackets at our State Tournament (this year won over $200 in brackets alone)...I'll definitely steer clear!

Cheers!

MH

playbowl
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
MH1313

Since you have the ability to practice the shot, where you were rolling is the right place, just add 4' of loft and watch what happens. If you put it down at the foul line you just tighten up the shot for yourself due to the oil volume in the 1st zone. Decrease the loft as you need more oil for skid in games 2 and 3 of team. Play it by ear in minor events. Don't be afraid to sand between 500 & 1000 Abralon. It is a well designed, deceptive pattern.

avidbowler
04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
I think that excluding PBA cardholders and introducing more divisions only dilutes a great tournament. You can't climb the mountain unless there is a mountain to climb.

maverick_124
04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
i can have no input on what to do with this tournament lol i have not been in one since i was 14 where my team won back the trophie from friendship lanes in Ft. Myres got beacon bowl here in naples

MH1313
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Alrighty, here is my nationals update!

Got back yesterday after bowling saturday and sunday.

First of all...MAN IS VEGAS FUN!!! holy cow!!!

now to the bowling, first and foremost I shot a 1503...Carrying a 179 average put me in the lower tier, and man am I glad for that!!!

For team I ran right up the 8 board, and found that I was a little anxious and kept pulling the ball trying to make it react. I didn't shoot very well for team, if I had the opportunity to do it over, I would have taken a little more time on my set up, I think I was just rushing myself and wasn't prepared.

Singles and Doubles...wow what an experience that was!!!! The lanes were completely different than team (they didn't oil for us) I came out swinging with a 222 (a good game on a house shot). Then I found the oil got a little "squirley" on me. I worked the 10board pretty hard with adjustments every few shots. I found the shot to be very dependant on speed! Once I started singles after completing a good series for doubles, I found my line had completely broke down and I was unfortunately unable to find a consistent line after that...*insert sad face here*

The one thing I'm regretting is not forking out the cash to send my third ball out there...I only brought out heavy oil equipment and found for singles and doubles I needed my medium/light equipment, that was the only disappointment of the trip is knowing if I'd of had my right equipment I could have potentially done better!

Oh here is an annoying part of the trip!!! TSA upon initial inspection of my equipment managed to break the zipper on my two ball bag. SO I pick up my bag from the airport with all my stuff hanging out of the bag. Fortunately my equipment was undamaged.

So i'm stuck and have to buy a new bag, I pick up a nice 2ball roller, and on the return flight that gets 2 seams ripped out of it!!! could I have worse luck?!?!?! hahah

thanks for reading!

MH

JaxBowlingGuy
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
ahh the good ole airlines still messing up bags...lol word of advise for the future.. NEVER take a 4 ball roller..lol They will break the wheels off every time..ha.. If you plan on doing anymore flying to any trnys invest in the tournament bags.. Most of the companies have caught on and started producing them.. The wheels are tucked in the bottom of the bad to keep from breaking but yet still allow the bag to roll or be carried.. You can get them for around 50-60 but is well worth it.. I actually use my trny bags more than my usual 4 ball roller for league and such..

playbowl
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Good bowling MH, glad you had fun. I'll bet you can't wait for next year in Reno now.

onefrombills
04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
ahh the good ole airlines still messing up bags...lol word of advise for the future.. NEVER take a 4 ball roller..lol They will break the wheels off every time..ha.. If you plan on doing anymore flying to any trnys invest in the tournament bags.. Most of the companies have caught on and started producing them.. The wheels are tucked in the bottom of the bad to keep from breaking but yet still allow the bag to roll or be carried.. You can get them for around 50-60 but is well worth it.. I actually use my trny bags more than my usual 4 ball roller for league and such..

BOTTOM LINE IS TO USE A TOURNAMENT TRAVEL BAG OR GET YOUR BAG BROKE.

HERE IS THE TRIPLE BAG THAT I DONT LEAVE TOWN WITHOUT

http://viseinserts.com/bag_4.html

JaxBowlingGuy
04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
my girlfriend uses the same bag... its a very nice constructed bag.the onyl downfall i have heard iis that its VERY close tot he 50 lb weight due tot he sturdy material.