PDA

View Full Version : The Food Network

dpmusic70
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I happen to love watching the Food Network. Does anyone else watch it? My current favorite star is Anne Burrel (sp?) Her show is Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. Does anyone else have a favorite star? My husband likes to call Sandra Lee the Semi Ho because she does the semi home made show. :rolleyes:

No Open Tenths
04-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I used to watch alot more than I do now. About the only show I watch now is Diners,drive-ins, and dives.
I used to get up early to watch Malto Mario, with Mario Batali, but the newer hosts just don't do much for me.

Almost forgot, I do like the new show Chopped.

dpmusic70
04-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Well if you like Mario Batalli then you should check out Secret's of a restaurant chef because Anne Burrel was his sous(sp?) chef. Have you checked out "Guy's Big Bite"? His hair kind of resembles Anne Burrel's LOL. :D

Graaille
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Alton Brown is da man on Food Network, but I've also grown quite fond of both of Guy F's shows (Big Bite/R,D,&D - which is like AD&D but only w/food -- I'll let the geeks enjoy that).

kev3inp
04-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons?? I like Alton, too, but the wife finds him a bit too scientific, except on Iron Chef America. And what's up with his hair?

Psst, buddy... I know what you're doing and I think it's great! See you in 9 more posts! ;)

Jord_84
04-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Sandra Lee drives me nuts..I labeled her a "lush" after she made a "caketini" for an adult drink served at a child's birthday party.

I love Paula Dean. Good, southern, down-home cooking....and her recipes are super easy.

Graaille
04-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I agree completely about Sandra Lee -- it's almost like "2 dishes and alcohol, and then a cheezy way to serve it all."

@Kev3inp: nope, not trying to pad my stats, or anything else for that matter. I'm educating myself on bowling, which means that I take in more info than I put out there. But on things non-bowling related, where it's more of an opinion post -- I can let go a bit more.

Now if I were to make it to 300 posts in 21 days, then I could be accused of "Dolly Parton" level padding.

dpmusic70
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Getting back to Sandra Lee her table scapes are so annoying to both me and Kevin. I did see that she is coming out with a new show. I used to like Rachel Ray but now I can only watch her if she's on mute. :p

Jord_84
04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I stopped watching Rachel Ray when I let some of her slang slip in the kitchen...and my hubby made fun of me lol
To be honest, her recipes don't wow me either...the ones that I've tried anyway :/

dpmusic70
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah I agree with you about her recipes. I can only remeber one that I made and liked the only problem was instead of taking 30 minutes it took more like an hour. But then again she's a maniac and speed demon in the kitchen. Some of her stuff is just so weird too. She combines things that I just wouldn't eat.

Jord_84
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
hahah, I actually saw in the homewares section at a "Gordman's" store....they have THE authentic Rachael Ray....garbage bowl....for 20 bucks lol!

For only $20.00 plus tax...you too can have a fancy bowl thats only purpose is to hold garbage!

kev3inp
04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Attention all you Paula Deen fans! Paula made an appearance in the "Not My Job" segment on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell me" on NPR. She was really funny and answered questions about tofu. www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/ is the link. It's a great show that I tend to miss now that I don't normally work Saturdays any longer. I can't wait to try her special hamburger recipe she talked about on the show. ;) Check it out before they archive the 'cast.

Graaille
04-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Frankly, most all of the cooks on the food network can come up with some strange stuff, or things that we say "eeeh, s'ok, but has no real flavor" (maybe that's just me) Even Bobby Flay - the 'king' of southwestern seasonings - most of the things I've made of his strictly from the recipe have been weak.

I'd imagine this is primarily because they have to tailor the recipes for the masses, who aren't used to stronger flavors. But I know each of them say or have said "Don't like it, make it and change it up to reflect what you have or what you like." And that's the secret of the food network -- they tell you what can be done - and if you don't like it -- change it.