PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Maybe not talk, but your bowling library?

Graaille
04-18-2009, 11:49 PM
What books do you have, or even have access to, that you pull nuggets of informational gold from? I recently picked up both Mike Durbin's book (From Gutterballs to Strikes) and John Jowdy's book (Bowling Execution 2nd ed) and both have been very helpful in helping me focus on elements of my physical game. I really want to pick up Dean Hinitz's book (Focused for Bowling) and the book co-authored by Fred Borden and Jeri Edwards (Sports Psychology Library: Bowling) to help the mental game.

Any others that either were or have become essential to your bowling success?

dougb
04-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I have the first three books you mentioned, plus Bowling Fundamentals (Sport Fundamental Series) by Michelle Mullen and Winning Bowling by Dawson Taylor and Earl Anthony. The Mullen book is I think the best overall book.

kev3inp
04-19-2009, 08:42 AM
We have all the ones mentioned plus "The Little Book of Bowling," "The Bowler's Handbook," "Let's Go Bowling," and "Bowling, How to Master the Game." We've gotten a couple of others from the library, but nothing else really stood out. Carmen Salvino's biography was pretty good, though.

NoTapNorm
04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
I have the third one mentioned-the Sports Psychology Library-bowling. Been reading it for most of this season. It has been helpful in getting me "reset & rebooted". After last week-I need to read it some more.

playbowl
04-19-2009, 09:09 AM
What books do you have, or even have access to, that you pull nuggets of informational gold from? I recently picked up both Mike Durbin's book (From Gutterballs to Strikes) and John Jowdy's book (Bowling Execution 2nd ed) and both have been very helpful in helping me focus on elements of my physical game. I really want to pick up Dean Hinitz's book (Focused for Bowling) and the book co-authored by Fred Borden and Jeri Edwards (Sports Psychology Library: Bowling) to help the mental game.

Any others that either were or have become essential to your bowling success?

Anything recent is a good bet. "Advanced Adjustments" by Borden and Edwards is good. Still pretty technical for the novice to intermediate bowler but well written. Jowdy's 2nd edition I have not read yet but I learned a lot from the 1st edition. I have heard that WRW has a new book, and it probably has a cd with it. Any insights you can glean from any multiple PBA titleist is worth the time it takes to read it if you enjoy bowling. I currently have a new one in stock called "True Bowler Adjustments" by Gary Oatis. It is written to be easily understood and has good nuggets of information. I was able to read it in 2 hours.

Warning: Don't get hung up on reading technical stuff, it is reference material. More often than not you just need to get out there, see a coach and bowl.

Graaille
04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Anything recent is a good bet. "Advanced Adjustments" by Borden and Edwards is good. Still pretty technical for the novice to intermediate bowler but well written. Jowdy's 2nd edition I have not read yet but I learned a lot from the 1st edition. I have heard that WRW has a new book, and it probably has a cd with it. Any insights you can glean from any multiple PBA titleist is worth the time it takes to read it if you enjoy bowling. I currently have a new one in stock called "True Bowler Adjustments" by Gary Oatis. It is written to be easily understood and has good nuggets of information. I was able to read it in 2 hours.

Warning: Don't get hung up on reading technical stuff, it is reference material. More often than not you just need to get out there, see a coach and bowl.

Thanks for the recommendations all. I'm one of those people who needs to read and mull things over in their heads, work on it down in the basement, then make it out to the lanes. One of the main reasons being that my bowling time has been severely limited by my 1 year old son having some health issues, so I don't get to practice at all away from home, just my one league night of bowling. So anything I can do on my own to "program that computer" (as Fred Borden put it) keeps me in the game even when I can't get to the game.

dougb
04-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Bowling This Month (http://www.bowlingthismonth.com/) magazine always has good articles and tips.

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Books, What are books???? lol...j/k. I cant stand reading. I know its good for you but its just so boring. Personal opinion granted.

Coach 3G
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I second BTM, it's a great magazine. I've read a lot of what was already mentioned, but would add Wiedman's Bowling Steps to Success has quite a bit in it. The important thing is to try a lot of what you read and get on the lanes and do something with it. A lot of people read stuff and say yeah, I know that already, but aren't actually doing it in practice/competition. Practicing spares jumps into my mind on this one. Everyone knows they should practice spares, yet it's a rare day I see anyone doing it. Take the nuggets and put them into action.

When you can't get to the lanes I would definitely recommend reading books, watching videos, and planning out your practice sessions as it can certainly accelerate your success.

JerseyJim
05-02-2009, 07:30 PM
There are a couple that are pretty decent. Revolutions II by Chris Zielke goes into details about drilling, and ball selection. It's becoming a bit outdated, but still good. Par Bowling by Tom Kouros is pretty good, also a bit dated. Any articles by Susie Minshew are good. You can find a bunch of her stuff on the web.

Jamski
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Nobody's mentioned it but I located a copy of David Ozio's "Bowl Like A Pro" in a used book store and found it pretty helpful, especially in targeting spares. It was a couple of bucks well-spent, to be sure.

tbrownie
06-10-2009, 01:27 PM
John Jowdys Bowling Fundamentals is good, from what ive heard... I also love reading Bowlers Journal Magazine, and Bowling this month.

manningm
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I have three in my library:"Bowl Like A Pro" by David Ozio, "Winning Bowling" by Earl Anthony, and "From Gutterballs to Strikes" by Mike Durbin. They are all good books and I recommend they to anyone wishing to improve their game.

Mike Manning

toeppermr
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks, for the BTM recommendation. I do not think I would hav found the magazine otherwise. Much appreciated.

JerseyJim
12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
John Jowdys Bowling Fundamentals is good, from what ive heard... I also love reading Bowlers Journal Magazine, and Bowling this month.

I forgot to mention Jowdy's book. I just received a PDF copy of Joe Slowinski's Bowling Reference System. I skimmed through most of it. I'll put out a review once I've read it completely. I would love to have a copy of Fred Borden's 10 keys to Bowling. It was my favorite bowling book to get out of the library. Unfortunately it was lost by a library patron (I bet he kept it) and never replaced.

littlelegs
12-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Hmmmm...an old thread that was worth bringing back from the dead. Thanks for the recommendations all. I've always thought that if I can take just one or two things from a book like these the read's been worth it.