PDA

View Full Version : MacLelland, Gongora honored as collegiate MVPs

onefrombills
04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Saginaw Valley State senior Dan MacLelland and Wichita State junior Sandra Gongora were named Most Valuable Players for the 2008-09 collegiate bowling season by the National Collegiate Bowling Coaches Association.

MacLelland and Gongora were honored along with the rest of the All-Americans at the Night of Champions banquet held Wednesday in conjunction with the 2009 United States Bowling Congress Intercollegiate Team Championships, presented by Storm, which open Thursday at The Cherry Bowl.

The pair also were named 2008-09 Bowling Writers Association of America Collegiate Players of the Year at Wednesday's event.

This marks the second straight MVP award for Windsor, Ontario, native MacLelland, who helped lead the Cardinals to the national title in 2006 and 2007. He has been named the MVP of the Intercollegiate Team Championships the past two years.

MacLelland is joined as a first team All-American by John Szczerbinski of Wichita State, Derek Hartnell of Newman, Josh Blanchard of Wichita State and J.R. Raymond of McKendree.

"This year was all for my father who passed away before the start of the season," said MacLelland, whose father Len lost his battle with cancer last fall. "My teammates were really supportive of me and even came to the funeral. At this point in my life, everything is for my dad."

Gongora led the nation with a 210.87 average, more than seven pins higher than the next closest player. The Monterrey, Mexico, native earned All-American honors for the first time.

She is joined on the women's first team by Brigette Harrelson of Central Florida, Rebekah Diers of McKendree, Liz Seibel of Penn State and Jenn Boisselle of Central Florida.

"I knew I was having a good season, but I was always so focused on the team that I never realized how well I was doing," Gongora said. "This is for my team."

Larry Brande of Webber International and Liz Seibel of Penn State were named the Rookie of the Year in their respective divisions. Newman men's coach Billy Murphy and Central Florida women's coach Pat Costello were named the Kerm Helmer Coaches of the Year.

Robert Burks, the former Indiana coach and founder of the Hoosier Classic, was honored with the Gordon Teigen Meritorious Service Award.

NATIONAL COLLEGIATE BOWLING COACHES ASSOCIATION
2008-09 ALL-AMERICANS

MEN
First Team
Dan MacLelland, Saginaw Valley State; John Szczerbinski, Wichita State; Derek Hartnell, Newman; Josh Blanchard, Wichita State; J.R. Raymond, McKendree.
Second Team
Daniel Vick, Rochester Tech; Shawn Naumann, Central Florida; Tim Pfeifer, Robert Morris University; Larry Brande, Webber International; Paul Hogan, CSU-Fresno.
Honorable Mention
Chris Bardol, Robert Morris College; Brett Cunningham, Lindenwood; Sammy Krucek, Calumet; Toby Sambueno, Saginaw Valley State; Richard VanScoyk, McKendree.

Most Valuable Player - Dan MacLelland, Saginaw Valley State
Rookie of the Year - Larry Brande, Webber International
Kerm Helmer Coach of the Year - Billy Murphy, Newman

WOMEN
First Team
Sandra Gongora, Wichita State; Brigette Harrelson, Central Florida; Rebekah Diers, McKendree; Liz Seibel, Penn State; Jenn Boisselle, Central Florida.
Second Team
Sarah O'Brien, Briarcliffe; Kim Yioulos, Pikeville; Melissa Hurst, Wichita State; Becky Sulligan, Pikeville; Kristie Petravich, Central Florida.
Honorable Mention
Dayna Galganski, Central Florida; Lori Hanken, McKendree; Rocio Restrepo, Wichita State; Jasmine Coleman, CSU-Fresno; Hayley Beavis, Martin Methodist.

Most Valuable Player - Sandra Gongora, Wichita State
Rookie of the Year - Liz Seibel, Penn State
Kerm Helmer Coach of the Year - Pat Costello, Central Florida

Gordon Teigen Meritorious Service Award - Robert Burks, former Indiana coach and founder of the Hoosier Classic

BOWLING WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
2007-08 COLLEGIATE PLAYERS OF THE YEAR

Male - Dan MacLelland, Saginaw Valley State
Female - Sandra Gongora, Wichita State

Male Runners-up
J.R. Raymond, McKendree
John Szczerbinski, Wichita State
Josh Blanchard, Wichita State
Derek Hartnell, Newman

Male Honorable Mention
Larry Brande, Webber International
Shawn Naumann, Central Florida