PDA

View Full Version : bowlign average

bkutner08
04-19-2009, 02:59 AM
I was dumb enough to stop bowling for a year which i dont even know why. I just started bowling again. But i use to do bowling tournaments back when i was in high school. Whats the typical average you should have to even think about doing a tournament. I mean i got a good average but i know im not a the best player out there. I take my bowling very serious. and i want to make a career out of it. Also anyone know of any tournaments that are going on soon. just curious.

thanks

avidbowler
04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I would not worry about average to start. Your bowling average is only a relative measuring stick. For instance which is better a 220 average at a house that has 10 boards of dry to the outside and a mountain of oil on the inside, or a 190 average at one where you have to hit a 3 to 4 board area to have a chance? My advice is that if you are serious about wanting to compete, find a league in a house where the shot is a little more difficult. There should only be a handful of people who average over 200 in the league and few if any 300's and 800's. Then work on your technique and enter local tournaments, especially ones where you feel slightly outclassed. You may also consider entering a PBA experience league, there should be some short tern ones in your area as we are going into summer. To answer your question average should not be your primary focus, the ability to put strikes together and convert a high percentage your spares should be. Your average will take care of itself. Hope this helps.

playbowl
04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
bkutner08

Great advice from avidbowler. Accuracy, repetition and spares are what this game is about. Find the difficult house and bowl there. Tournaments - stick with the handicap division until your average is 190 at least and then jump into the scratch division. Always bowl expecting to win.