PDA

View Full Version : Teaching an 11 YO not to bowl backup

robynsdad
04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I have an 11 year old girl who is bowling using a backup or reverse hook, and I was wondering if anybody has any good teaching techniques that I can use to stop her from bowling this way. I am concerned about her doing damage to her wrist as she gets older.
She bowls pretty good using it, but, when she uses a normal hook, she does better.

kev3inp
04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm of the opinion that it's actually an anatomical reason that it seems to be a more natural motion for women to throw a back up ball. It's another thing that's going to take a lot of practice to get away from. You can try pointing out that she needs to have her thumb pointing to the ceiling at the end of her throw, rather than the pinky on the follow through. Perhaps a little imagination exercise would help. Have her picture that as she's releasing the ball she'll be opening a jar of peanut butter. If she's tightening the lid (throwing backup) she'll never get it open. If she doesn't like peanut butter, pick a substitute she does like.

I commend you, sir, for taking the time to work with your daughter's bowling. If only more parents were as concerned this world would be a better place. Have you considered getting her some formal lessons? It can be a little pricey, and especially today, that's a concern, but there's only so far you'll be able to take her. Plus, a lot of kids will listen to a coach, or even somebody else, rather than their parent! Best of luck to you and your daughter, and let us know how you're both doing.

robynsdad
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your help. I have considered getting someone to help her, a few guys on my league are coaches, and I have already approached them with this. Unfortunately, time is not in my favor. She is a girl scout and has been very busy doing stuff with them.

Strike Domination
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Two things I could recommend. The first is to see if she can keep her wrist straight or cupped, if not I'd recommend a wrist support that would help her do this. If the wrist is broken, it's natural for the ball to roll that way I think. Another option is to get her to hold the ball with her hand on the side of it, that would at least promote some side rotation in the right direction.

Evilash71
05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
as many have said already the backup is more "natural" for many females. My wife used to bowl like this however what got her to "re-learn," was going back to some "old school" basics. Using the "suit case" grip and "hand shake" technique.
Basically standing at the foul line, take the ball and having the hand on the side of the ball already the way you would a suitcase and throwing and release the ball with her hand still in that position then coming up into a handshake or as if bringing a phone up to her ear. After a while she was able to add this to her normal release and also bring her hand behind the ball more so as to get more revs and develop more of a natural release.