PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a child how to approach the lanes

robynsdad
04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
My daughter has been taught to stand at the foul lane and release from there. I want to know how to get her out of standing, and getting her to approach and release the ball.

kev3inp
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I would say it's going to take practice at home first before practice on the lanes. If you have a hallway or a long enough space put a mark down for the foul line and another mark further back 4 1/2 of her steps for your daughter to use as a starting point. Then have her approach the line in a four step delivery (as that seems to be the easiest to teach and to learn timing) and roll a ball. (probably not her bowling ball but something smaller and lighter for now) Have her say out loud at first, then in her head "Push, two, three, slide" as she goes through the steps. If you have a surface that she can wear her bowling shoes to do this it's even better. It's going to feel really weird to her at first, but that's a good thing. With enough reps it becomes second nature and soon you can try it at the lanes with her ball, but expect a learning curve.

playbowl
04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I would say it's going to take practice at home first before practice on the lanes. If you have a hallway or a long enough space put a mark down for the foul line and another mark further back 4 1/2 of her steps for your daughter to use as a starting point. Then have her approach the line in a four step delivery (as that seems to be the easiest to teach and to learn timing) and roll a ball. (probably not her bowling ball but something smaller and lighter for now) Have her say out loud at first, then in her head "Push, two, three, slide" as she goes through the steps. If you have a surface that she can wear her bowling shoes to do this it's even better. It's going to feel really weird to her at first, but that's a good thing. With enough reps it becomes second nature and soon you can try it at the lanes with her ball, but expect a learning curve.

A great tool for the smaller and lighter ball is a 3 or4 pound medicine ball/ exercise ball. Available at Wal-Mart, Target, Sears or any sporting goods or fitness store for around $10. It is more substantial than a Nerf ball to promote the feel for timing and it won't damage walls or furniture and they don't bounce.

Evilash71
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Why not sort of have her do a two step drill first. Get her a couple of feet back. Have her take the one, then two and release. After a few shots have her do the three or four step. But i would say getting her used to releasing on the last step and getting her used to how that feels is essential. Then you add the other steps.