PDA

View Full Version : Postma eyes fourth Senior Queens title

onefrombills
04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Sandy Postma is already in a class of her own among the nation's 50-and-older women bowlers, but when she returns to defend her title in the United States Bowling Congress Senior Queens in Reno starting April 25, she'll have her eyes focused on some unprecedented accomplishments.

The Lansing, Ill., resident is the only woman who has won the USBC Queens (1995) and the Senior Queens. This year, she could become the first woman to win the Senior Queens four times. She is the only woman to have won the Senior Queens three times (2004, 2006 and 2008).

"Winning a fourth Senior Queens title would be cool," Postma said. "It's still fun to compete. I went past 50 (years old) a long time ago, but I think I can still beat some of the younger women. I did last year and I think I can this year, too. After all, you're bowling against the pins, and the pins don't know how old you are."

Postma also seeks to become the first back-to-back Senior Queens title winner. Shirley Levens of Cocoa, Fla., is the only other two-time winner (2002 and 2005) but no one has been able to defend the title.

Postma comes into the event as a "dual" defending champion. She defeated Marliss Tapp of Portage, Mich., 604-506, in the three-game title match in Taylor, Mich., a year ago, and also is the reigning Reno champion - defeating Joan Reilly of Wilmington, Del., 553-577, 648-601, in a two-set finale at the National Bowling Stadium in 2006.

"When I beat Joan, that was the first year (WIBC) changed the Senior Queens age minimum from 55 to 50," Postma noted.

Postma won her first Senior Queens title in Wichita, Kan. (a 593-528 victory over Cheryl Maury of Lansing, Mich.) at the age of 55, which means she has now reached Super Senior status.

None of it matters. As far as Postma is concerned, it's another year, another tournament.

"I have always looked forward to defending a title," she said. "You never know what you're going to run into when you get there, but I'll be ready to play on whatever is there. Once the competition gets started, the competitive fires get going, too.

"I'm not going to do anything special to get ready," she added. "I'll bowl my regular leagues, but that means 12 to 15 games a week anyway, so the games you may need to bowl in this tournament isn't that much different."

The USBC Senior Queens is open to amateur and professional women bowlers ages 50 and older. Competition involves 10 qualifying games for all contestants on April 25 and 26. The top 50 advance to an additional five-game qualifying round on April 27, after which the top 31 will join Postma in the three-game, double-elimination match play finals. The tournament concludes April 29.