PDA

View Full Version : With or without thumb????

JaxBowlingGuy
04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
List if you bowl with or without a thumb and give some insight

No Open Tenths
04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I bowl with my thumb. I bowled no thumb for my first 2-3 yrs of leagues and did OK. I ave 185 or so that way but realized I wasn't going to be able to go much higher that way. It took 2 yrs or so to get used to using my thumb. If I had it to do over again I would have started with my thumb to begin with.
I have been messing around with throwing it two handed with no thumb latley though ;)

Jord_84
04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't really comment on no-thumb because I've never bowled that way....but I would imagine a person might have less accuracy and control without using the thumb....but that's just my thought.

Graaille
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I know two guys that bowl no-thumb, and the rev's they get are just sick. Downside is kinda like watching Robert Smith -- they either get feast or famine, and they stink on their spares.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-21-2009, 11:36 PM
i personally bowl with no thumb and have for about 5 years now. I actualy stay behind the ball just like the thumbed bowlers to the point that if your not bowling right next to me and see that i dont have the thumb in you will never know. I have carried a 200+ ave and a few 197+.. then 2 summers ago i tore tendons in my wrist and had to sit the summer out.. I have since gotten back up to a 196 and 185 ave... With practice i think that both styles can be easily comparable in ave.

ArtVandelay
04-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I can't really comment on no-thumb because I've never bowled that way....but I would imagine a person might have less accuracy and control without using the thumb....but that's just my thought.

I know two guys that bowl no-thumb, and the rev's they get are just sick. Downside is kinda like watching Robert Smith -- they either get feast or famine, and they stink on their spares.

Quoted you guys because I take exception to that! hahahaha. I think it depends on the bowler. I think some people only care about the rev rates, and that monster hook. I bet I don't have much higher (if higher at all) rev rates than anyone who bowls thumb in, and I'm not too shabby on shooting the spaces (10 pin be damned.... That one gives me fits, but I bet I still pick it up about 60-70% of the time, and know plenty of people who pick it up less).

I bowl without my thumb in, but not by choice. Back when I was about 14 or 15, I played baseball and a fastball up and in got me on the right thumb. I didn't have to have surgery or anything, but needless to say, it's never been quite the same. I played around with getting the thumb hole drilled differently on a couple of my earlier balls, but nothing seemed to help with the discomfort of streatching my thumb out in that direction.

So, I took a couple lessons from a local USBC certified coach, and told him the situation. Basically, I bowl almost exactly like someone bowls WITH their thumb except for one major difference... I can't have a high back swing, so I can't generate force from gravity. Any power I get on the ball comes from my arm, and you're right, that CAN reduce accuracy, so I don't worry about speed. I don't throw nearly as hard as a lot of people in my league do, and I throw a 14 instead of a 15 or 16 pound ball.

I currently carry a 178 average, although for the past couple months I've had more of a 185 (but I'm 25, and have only been bowling leagues for about 4 or 5 years now, and only average throwing 3 games a week, probably 6 to 8 games on a less busy week), and I recently had a nice 692 series I'm not too upset about.... The 10 pin does give me fits, but I know a lot of people who agree and bowl with their thumb in.

When I took that lesson, I was told to concentrate more on what the ball is supposed to do, and bowling properly that way, than worrying about my thumb. This is actually an article that I really like. It explains what a ball should do in the hook motion, and I really try to concentrate on getting a good roll phase each time I bowl. A lot of the things said in this article are things my coach was preaching about!!! hahahaha (http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=3973) When I bowl, I try to keep the way I throw the same on every shot, changing only the speed of the ball, and the line I take. My spare ball has little, to no reaction, so it's accurate for anything on the right side of the lane, and my regular ball cleans up nicely on the left. If I leave a split that favors a shot to the left side with minimal hook, I use the spare ball for that since it has much less hook, and therefore a better shot at getting the right angle that I need to convert the spare.

In all honesty, I would LOVE to have my thumb in the ball. If anyone were to ask me how to begin bowling, I'd say thumb in, no question. At times it DOES bother me that I bowl improperly, but it's like the coach said, there's nothing we can really do about it, so just concentrate on doing everything else properly, and try not to worry about it or make excuses for it. It actually bothers me almost as much to do a practice session and see people using house balls with two fingers, or no fingers, just trying to spin the ball as hard as they can..... No form what-so-ever.

But, for me, it is what it is and I enjoy bowling too much to let it stop me!!!

kev3inp
04-22-2009, 04:50 AM
I just figure that I was born with an opposable thumb so I should use it. It seems most no-thumbers are "spray and pray" bowlers, but not all. Great revs, but there are guys using their thumb who rev it just as much.

MH1313
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
IMHO i've found that the highest average bowlers are the most consistent, and therefore have their thumb in the ball. Thats why I've always gone with a thumb, not to mention I've never understood HOW to bowl without a thumb...just a lack of ability on my behalf.

I'd say thumb without question...it just makes sense, but if you would have asked us a few years ago one hand or two, we may have called you a goof for saying you used two...i figure whatever works best for you is whats right.

kev3inp
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
IMHO i've found that the highest average bowlers are the most consistent, and therefore have their thumb in the ball. Thats why I've always gone with a thumb, not to mention I've never understood HOW to bowl without a thumb...just a lack of ability on my behalf.

I'd say thumb without question...it just makes sense, but if you would have asked us a few years ago one hand or two, we may have called you a goof for saying you used two...i figure whatever works best for you is whats right.

Exactly, it's not how, it's how many. There are no style points. At least so far. Hmm, I wonder if the PBA would consider style points for their extreme swing. I won't speculate on how that might be applied to the ladies, though. I'll leave that for braver posters. ;)

jmainville
04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I bowl thumb in, I tried without and I had alot more action but no control. I would rather have control and accuracy

Coach 3G
04-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I bowl with my thumb in and can't say I've ever tried bowling without the thumb, though I knew a couple of kids in college that I bowled with that were pretty proficient at it. Overall though if the shot is difficult they really don't have much of a chance because they typically weren't very accurate. However with a really easy shot with some room for error at the breakpoint, you'd better take them seriously.

One other problem with bowling no thumb is that once the lanes are burned up, even with a plastic ball it can be difficult to control the hook on the ball. And lastly I've yet to see someone bowl with no thumb that can consistently pick up ball hand corner pins.

JaxBowlingGuy
04-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I bowl with my thumb in and can't say I've ever tried bowling without the thumb, though I knew a couple of kids in college that I bowled with that were pretty proficient at it. Overall though if the shot is difficult they really don't have much of a chance because they typically weren't very accurate. However with a really easy shot with some room for error at the breakpoint, you'd better take them seriously.

One other problem with bowling no thumb is that once the lanes are burned up, even with a plastic ball it can be difficult to control the hook on the ball. And lastly I've yet to see someone bowl with no thumb that can consistently pick up ball hand corner pins.

As stated before i am one that bowls without a thumb... As for the lanes when they get burned out i can agree that it makes it slightly more difficult BUTTTT with the right equipment anything is possible...lol ... I have a negative drilled ball that I had set up just for those broke down lanes after like 20 games have been shot on them... I bowl a monthly trny that runs 6 squads with no reoil and every now and then i get into that last squad sometimes not by choice.. (trying to make cut) but I cant say that I strugle any more than any1 else there.. I usually have one of the higher sets each month and this trny is conducted on sport conditions. ?Last month was the Viper pattern... On the flip side though i think that i am able to handle these conditions due to the training and practice i have put in.. As for the corner pins, the 7 pin is no problem as i am right handed.. and the 10 id say that im about 85-90% on that... Im really wanting to get a video or 2 of me bowling on here so that way everyone can see how i roll.. lol

playbowl
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
With customers that do both it is necessary for me to know how to bowl with and without a thumb right handed and so far only with a thumb left handed. I need to know what they are experiencing on the lane. If you have not tried bowling without a thumb, easier if you use the 2 handed style, definitely try it. It is a whole different game from what you are used to with a thumb in. One of our local bowlers is very accomplished without a thumb in and a quote from one of our local HOF bowlers was "He has more revs in his backswing than most others have on the whole lane." Until you bowl right with him and see how effortlessly he throws strike after strike you can't realize how good he is. Ultimately, it is what is right for you. If you are happy with how you are bowling that is what is important.

Coach 3G
04-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Im really wanting to get a video or 2 of me bowling on here so that way everyone can see how i roll.. lol

I hope that is a promise you can keep as I bet we can all learn from your style, and heck I'm curious to see exactly how you roll it. Sounds like you've figured out how to deal with the shortcomings of the no thumb ball, while cashing in on the positives at the same time!

venividivici526
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM

howdy yall, im new to the forums, i bowl with no thumb in the ball, ive been bowling for 5 years now and have never tried to bowl with my thumb in, when i first started it felt completely awkward to use my thumb so ive never tried it again!

we just finished winter league, i finished with a 191 average, 267 high game and a 729 series were my high lights! previous summer league i averaged 203 with 50% of my games being 200's! never got a 300 but ive had quite a few 288's and 289's, cant seem to get that 11th strike i guess!

it cracks me up when people who have never really tried to bowl 2 finger say it cant be done with any accuracy, my average has improved every season and i very rarely practice, im the only 2 finger guy on my team and i was the only one to hit his average at nationals this year!

but the key is i get most my spares, even the 10 pin, ive learned to spin the ball both to the left and the right, trowing righty, the ability to spin it both diirections with accuracy also allows me to pick up splits that i would normally have no chance at! i also use a plastic ball i can throw straight as an arrow!

as far as im concerned there is no right or wrong way to bowl, its all how ever you feel comfortable! naturally this is just my opinion, but as long as i continue to improve my average i will not change styles!

btw, most 300's rolled at the bowling center i bowl at, bowled by a 2 fiinger bowler!!!

JaxBowlingGuy
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
my videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6AkXXew6Zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDJ7qRrW9Do

JaxBowlingGuy
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I really had to rev up a little more than usual due to playing a different line than everyone else.. I was throwing a Virtual Gravity in the vids... Had some bad breaks tonight with a few missed spares by rushing but with a 185 ave in this league went 234-226-210- 670

11 in a row
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
i started bowling with my thumb and still do today....i also practice 2 handed from time to time :cool:,

mikeyyy44805
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
With thumb= less revs but more accuracy....

without-= less accuracy, more revs

djbigsmooth
05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
There can be advantages with both styles, however the no thumb style is a individual thing depending on : Hand size, finger/wrist strength and endurance, tendon strength in the bicep and forearm.

Any one thinking of attempting, or currently bowling "no thumb", should be aware of the risks associated with that style. With long term and repeated stress on the wrist, bicep, forearm and fingers, without the benefit of "correctly applied leverage", can end your bowling career and enjoyment of the game. Just ask pba pro and champion mike miller.

Good bowling.

BY THE WAY I BOWL WITH MY THUMB IN THE BALL.

seniorstroker
05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Being an ole school senior stroker, I've always had thumb in ball, but my younger son(age 24) has bowled with his thumb out for about 7 yrs, now he is working with thumb in..he is seeing that he losses too much control with the thumb out..

venividivici526
05-17-2009, 11:36 PM
a lil update, still bowling with no thumb, just rolled 209-247-238 for a very nice 694, crashed the head pin on the first ball in league play and didnt convert the split, that was my only open of the night! as long as i can continue to improve throwing two fingers i will never put my thumb in the ball!

Mattdean76
05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I bowl with a thumbtip (for added control) but have been a 2 finger bowler since I stumbled upon it, and enjoy it. Consistency is the hard part, you get the added revs, and its easier on your thumb. Spare shooting can be harder if you dont practice enough, but I like it.

tbrownie
05-18-2009, 12:21 AM

thats exactly why i use my thumb, the no thumb can get some revs though.. its basically two handed without the second hand to keep the ball still.

Peit71
05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
How can anyone throw a bowling ball without using the thumb.

Peit71
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I guess it's like golf grips. If you do anything enough, you improve

JaxBowlingGuy
05-18-2009, 10:20 PM
How can anyone throw a bowling ball without using the thumb.

just like anyone that uses a thumb... practice makes perfect.. :-)

Strike Domination
05-19-2009, 03:45 AM
If I was to bowl no thumb, it would definitely be with two hands. At least that way there'd be some control.

janbolen
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I would probably hurt myself without the thumb. ( or someone else)
There's a guy on my team that bowls without his thumb he does pretty good, but has a hard time picking up spares, because of the control problem... His dad is working with him on using the thumb to pick up spares.. I think if you can do it go for it.. But you have to do what is best for you..

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I never would bowl without using my thumb unless injury forced me to. I know there are good bowlers out there using thumbless technique but not one coach, pro, or really good bowler i have ever met recommends doing this. I think it is an unfortunate evolution of learning with house balls that dont fit and therefore in order to "hook" the ball people start bowling without their thumb.

I would say in GENERAL, 9 out of 10 bowlers i see bowl that way are very inconsistent and its strike or nothing. If you put a really good bowler who uses their thumb, say 210 average or so and pit them against a bowler who doesnt use their thumb but has say a 220 average even. I would always bet on the thumb using 210 average bowler. Safer bet.

Once the lane starts breaking down and all of that comes into play I just dont see that thumbless bowler beating them.
Just one person's opinion.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 07:03 PM
one way of looking at it is this. Say you had to go to a bowling alley and pick four people and they would be your bowling team. Say all of them are decent to really good. So no beginners. Say there are twenty guys bowling with no thumb and there are ten guys bowling with the thumb with the same averages.
Who would you choose?
I would take all four from the thumb users every time.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 07:06 PM
a lil update, still bowling with no thumb, just rolled 209-247-238 for a very nice 694, crashed the head pin on the first ball in league play and didnt convert the split, that was my only open of the night! as long as i can continue to improve throwing two fingers i will never put my thumb in the ball!

I think the issue is, and this comes from a USBC coach and one former pro bowler out here that was talking to my wife and another bowler.

Comfort and such is great, but at some point you will be vunerable with the lanes transitioning and not being able to control your ball enough. At some point it will plateau and you can be very good, but you wont be able to improve upon it much without using your thumb. Why limit yourself for the future by sticking to what is comfortable now at the expense of getting much better for you later.

there is a reason you dont see pro bowlers using this technique.

Having said that. At the end of the day there will always be exceptions. But like someone else said, if i didnt use my thumb i would bowl two handed long before switching to thumbless one handed bowling.

JaxBowlingGuy
05-23-2009, 07:25 PM
If all of the bowlers have the same ave it shouldnt matter who you pick...lol end the end you would come out about the same...lol

Evilash71
05-24-2009, 01:47 AM
If all of the bowlers have the same ave it shouldnt matter who you pick...lol end the end you would come out about the same...lol

not really. House bowling is a bit different. The same average is over time for sure, and you have a point if i was saying id pick the guy with the highest average. But if ihad to pick a team id want a team that was more consistent night to night. An average can be raised or lowered over time. But on any given night. Id take the bowler using his thumb.

The point of the averages was to say that it wasnt a matter of scoring only. That would bring up the arguments, "well ive scored this or that." I mean a guy who bowls without the thumb can get a 300. Its possible. And he may beat a guy using his thumb 300 to say 220 that night.
Ill take the guy using his thumb still because my faith is in that technique to win out overall. The long haul.
That 210 average with the thumbless bowler most likely would drop before it would with the thumb using bowler.

House averages vary anyways depending onthe house. Most league players dont jump around much. Also once you get into sport leagues that thumbless bowlers pin average would drop like 40 pins or more. The one using his thumb. Maybe 20 to 30.

Just an opinion.

tbrownie
05-24-2009, 10:50 AM
not really. House bowling is a bit different. The same average is over time for sure, and you have a point if i was saying id pick the guy with the highest average. But if ihad to pick a team id want a team that was more consistent night to night. An average can be raised or lowered over time. But on any given night. Id take the bowler using his thumb.

The point of the averages was to say that it wasnt a matter of scoring only. That would bring up the arguments, "well ive scored this or that." I mean a guy who bowls without the thumb can get a 300. Its possible. And he may beat a guy using his thumb 300 to say 220 that night.
Ill take the guy using his thumb still because my faith is in that technique to win out overall. The long haul.
That 210 average with the thumbless bowler most likely would drop before it would with the thumb using bowler.

House averages vary anyways depending onthe house. Most league players dont jump around much. Also once you get into sport leagues that thumbless bowlers pin average would drop like 40 pins or more. The one using his thumb. Maybe 20 to 30.

Just an opinion.

Tell it to Belmonte.

The FACT is, that ANY style can be honed in to being the next Walter Ray/Earl Anthony Its just a matter of how much you practice it, and how naturally gifted you are. If i wanted to bowl with no thumb, i garuntee i could be as good as i am with my thumb, especially on a wide open house shot like they have these days.

JaxBowlingGuy
05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
as for the sport average.. I bowl without a thumb and actually average higher on the sport conditions than the house conditions... its all about hoqw much time and practice someone is willing to put into it... i have been bowling without a thumb for about 5 years now... With the right practice schedule and a coach if needed anyone can be just as good as anyone else on any given day... Look at it like baseball pitchers... you have the guys the pitch straight over the top... then some side arm and other "submarine" or throw almost underhand... different styles but all with the same results... Its just that the thumbless stuff really isnt as common yet since it just started to pick up within the last couple years.. But in a couple years i think it wont be such a uncommon thing...

Evilash71
05-24-2009, 03:42 PM
as for the sport average.. I bowl without a thumb and actually average higher on the sport conditions than the house conditions... its all about hoqw much time and practice someone is willing to put into it... i have been bowling without a thumb for about 5 years now... With the right practice schedule and a coach if needed anyone can be just as good as anyone else on any given day... Look at it like baseball pitchers... you have the guys the pitch straight over the top... then some side arm and other "submarine" or throw almost underhand... different styles but all with the same results... Its just that the thumbless stuff really isnt as common yet since it just started to pick up within the last couple years.. But in a couple years i think it wont be such a uncommon thing...

If you bowl better on the sport conditions than more props to you. That is very rare. Anything is possible and there are always exceptions however mostly i am talking as a general rule, say someone was going to go learn how to bowl starting today. Would you recommend your style to them or more traditional with thumb, if they were a child beginning?

That is impressive though.

Evilash71
05-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Tell it to Belmonte.

The FACT is, that ANY style can be honed in to being the next Walter Ray/Earl Anthony Its just a matter of how much you practice it, and how naturally gifted you are. If i wanted to bowl with no thumb, i garuntee i could be as good as i am with my thumb, especially on a wide open house shot like they have these days.

I do see your point mentioning Belmonte however, he essentially has honed a style that has more revs, more stability(two hands) and is really just substituting the thumb with the other hand. I give a lot of credit to his style. I would switch to that style next after the more traditional one, the last being thumbless one handed just because as a general rule 8 out of 10 of the bowlers bowling that way are very inconsistent it seems.

JaxBowlingGuy
05-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I would teach the kid with a thumb but not due to me personally thinking its better than without but just because its easier to start with that to get the concept of bowling and the physics behind it. I started with a thumb then changed over. I can still throw with a thumb and usually do when the lanes get dry and I need to take revs out.. In my mind if you can "master" both then you wouldnt have a shot that you couldnt bowl on... Heavy oil drop thumb out and crank the 450+ revs.. Lighter or broke down shot, drop it in and back it down to 300-.

mrbill
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi all, I have my wife and 3 out of my 5 kids + my self ofcorse that bowl.
1 of my boys likes to bowl without a thumb, he's a right handed bowler and wares his walking sneaker on his right foot and an old bowling shoe on the left sliding foot.
He just started 2 months ago and unlike other first time bowlers his hook/rev rate was what he had to deal with insted of the stright ball convent style.
It is so hard for him right now to controll his hook but he won't use his thumb even with all the advice that is givin him from different sorces.
We will see what happens I guess, He feels good doing it that way so I'm not gonna push him, I'll just try to help as best as I can:)
I wish I had his Rev Rate tho lol:eek::rolleyes:

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I converted from 2 finger bowling to 3 finger. I'd like to say that bowling with 2 fingers was much MUCH more stress on the wrist and hand versus the conventional 3 finger stance. I'm still learning as much as can and find that my main issue is trying to pick up more speed on my release. I don't throw very hard so my revs seem to overpower the end and It seems that I send it over to the left side(brooklyn) of the headpin more than anything. All in all I think and feel more comfortable with the 3 finger system.

Evilash71
05-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi all, I have my wife and 3 out of my 5 kids + my self ofcorse that bowl.
1 of my boys likes to bowl without a thumb, he's a right handed bowler and wares his walking sneaker on his right foot and an old bowling shoe on the left sliding foot.
He just started 2 months ago and unlike other first time bowlers his hook/rev rate was what he had to deal with insted of the stright ball convent style.
It is so hard for him right now to controll his hook but he won't use his thumb even with all the advice that is givin him from different sorces.
We will see what happens I guess, He feels good doing it that way so I'm not gonna push him, I'll just try to help as best as I can:)
I wish I had his Rev Rate tho lol:eek::rolleyes:

I think there is a misconception, especially amongst young men, that this is HOW YOU THROW A HOOK, and that is it.
I've had men in their twenties come up to me at alleys and ask, "you can get it to hook with your thumb in it like that?" That always shocks me a bit but then the average person who walks into an alley is on a Friday night glow bowl night is going to see guys hooking the ball that way.

The kid who picks up a ball that doesnt fit and tries it with three fingers will not get the results so he will switch to the thumbless route to get those revs.

If he had his own ball, and drilled to his hand with fingertip grip, it would help him to learn that system and control his hook. But hey to each their own. But house balls are about the worst way to learn to throw a hook with three fingers. Its either straight, or hook without the thumb when using house balls.

mrbill
05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I think there is a misconception, especially amongst young men, that this is HOW YOU THROW A HOOK, and that is it.
I've had men in their twenties come up to me at alleys and ask, "you can get it to hook with your thumb in it like that?" That always shocks me a bit but then the average person who walks into an alley is on a Friday night glow bowl night is going to see guys hooking the ball that way.

The kid who picks up a ball that doesnt fit and tries it with three fingers will not get the results so he will switch to the thumbless route to get those revs.

If he had his own ball, and drilled to his hand with fingertip grip, it would help him to learn that system and control his hook. But hey to each their own. But house balls are about the worst way to learn to throw a hook with three fingers. Its either straight, or hook without the thumb when using house balls.

I see your point Evilash71, thats just what happend!
I was going to wait till his birthday to get him his own fitted ball but now I think he needs it sooner before he gos ferther down that no thumb road...

Evilash71
05-27-2009, 12:26 AM
I see your point Evilash71, thats just what happend!
I was going to wait till his birthday to get him his own fitted ball but now I think he needs it sooner before he gos ferther down that no thumb road...

Yeah it's tough for sure. I mean it looks great and we all love seeing that ball rev like crazy and rip those pins but I think most, including those that are proficient at two finger no thumb bowling would probably say if they had it to do over and they could get a ball drilled for them they would choose to do it with the thumb and learn that way.

have your son watch some PBA guys on tv and notice those guys get monster revs, so he just needs to practice. After a while he'll get the hang of it. I will say this though. Expect a bit of happiness deflation initially because he will have to sort of "re-learn" his release and I see him thinking, "this stinks, i want those revs back."

My wife bowled straight only and finally a coach made her realize that she should learn the hook style. She actually started practing the delivery with a plastic ball, but it was drilled to her hand. But she got to where she could get some hook on it. So by the time we purchased her fingertip Hammer Vibe, she can really hook it and has become quite a good bowler i must say.

Now she looks at these guys in the lanes next to us bowling without their thumb, and getting all these revs and smiles and knows she could take most of them because they are all about the look. She picks up her spares, strings together strikes, has a good release.

On more than one occassion guys have stopped and looked at her score and sort of winced at theirs.

And she doesnt cup her wrist, or come all the way around from 6 oclock. She has a stroker release with minimum revs. The ball was drilled to go long and snap hard to accomodate her slower speed and minimum revs and trust me that ball hooks to the pocket. So the drilling is important. Just talk over the situation with the pro shop guy you have and if he can see your son bowl even better. Our pro shop guy took my wife to the lanes and showed her about three tips and that was it. She was ok from there.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

lefty
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I bowl without my thumb, because it seems easier for some reason. I feel like i have more control over the ball because i have 3 fingers spread out on the ball instead of just 2......idk

JAnderson
06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Couples of points that need to be made:

1. High rev rate does not mean large hook

With or without the thumb, the concepts of (angle of) tilt and (angle of) rotation still apply. Bowlers with a rev rate exceeding 400rpm can still throw the ball straight on any lane condition with the proper angle of rotation.

2. Consistent speed control is easier with a free arm swing

Gravity is much more constant than a muscled swing. I have yet to see a bowler that doesn't use the thumb hole with a muscle-free swing. That's not to say a no-thumb bowler can't be consistent with speed, but it is more difficult because when a bowler engages muscles, the muscles must be engaged in the same way to the same degree every time. Consider bowling a 6 or 9 or 16 game block. It's easier to repeat over those longer blocks when there's no muscle fatigue.

3. One finger, two fingers, four fingers, no thumb has nothing to do with accuracy

The bowling community typically uses accuracy to refer to a bowler's ability to hit the same target line with little variance left or right shot after shot. There are many factors beyond what fingers/thumbs (thumbs, plural ;) are in the ball that affect accuracy: timing, posting the shot, swing plane, shoulder and hip direction at the line, just to name a few. Accuracy is a sub-component of repeatability. Like with ball speed, the simpler a motion, the fewer moving parts, the fewer muscles used, the easier it is to repeat. There are no-thumb bowlers with very simple, repeatable mechanics and there are no-thumb bowlers with complex difficult to repeat mechanics. Though it may seem like the latter are more common than the former, that doesn't make the no-thumb style inaccurate by default or definition.

4. Too lazy to learn

To the previous point, why do we see more inaccurate no-thumb bowlers than accurate no-thumb bowlers? Why the stereotype? My belief runs along these lines...Most bowlers learn to bowl when they are young. Big revs and big hook are eye-popping and that makes a bigger impression on the youngsters (and oldsters too!) than the straight players. The new bowlers want to jump right in and throw big hooks. It is difficult and time-consuming to learn a high-rev release while using the thumb. The no-thumb style is easier to learn in terms of high-rev release, a sort of short-cut if you will. It is no surprise short cuts are taken to the other basics of good mechanics. Thus, you end up with a bowler that can generate revs, but has poor, complex mechanics which in turn leads to difficulty in repeating shots: an inaccurate bowler. Since most bowling is done on wide-open house shots - especially for new bowlers - where inaccuracy is not punished by low scores, the mechanics rarely improve.

Bowlers that start thumb-in and learn proper mechanics and then switch to the no-thumb style are generally much better overall than those who go the other way. That is what I would recommend to new bowlers.

5. "New Style" Fallacy

The media's hype over the no-thumb, two-hand style being "new" is a load of donkey dung. It's been around at least since the early 1970's. I'm sure it has been around longer than that, but I can attest to the early 70's. It wasn't as prevalent because, back then, lane conditions didn't reward inaccurate bowlers as much so fewer people resorted to it.

6. It's either use the thumb or not

Almost. Ever bowl with someone that uses a thumb-tip? Thumb-tip meaning the thumb hole is drilled purposely small so that the thumb is only inserted to the first joint, just like fingertip finger holes. Usually, the span is also lengthened to adjust for the extra distance between joints. I currently bowl with someone who uses this. It's about what you would expect; a higher rev rate with muscled swing. The ball also sits in the hand very differently with the weight of the ball shifted towards the edge of the hand opposite the base of the thumb. It makes it easier to get around the side of the ball to create more tilt or rotational angle. I've never encountered what I would consider an "elite" bowler that uses this style.

7. "There is a reason you dont see pro bowlers using this technique"

Change that to "There is a reason you see few pro bowlers using this technique". I think a summary of points 1-4 explains why. Balanced against the inherent weeknesses of a muscled swing, not only is it easier to increase rev-rate with the no-thumb style, it is also easier to learn how to change rotational angle when not using the thumb.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-05-2009, 01:15 AM
well we had a few other threads rise from the dead, lets see if we have some new insite on this with all the new members

BowlnBrat
09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't have the strength to bowl no-thumb and still put the revs and hook into the ball that I want. I know several who bowl no-thumb, and like everyone else posting on here, they get the revs and the action, but less control and have a hard time picking up spares!

StormGirl712
09-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I really can only comment on the no thumb from watching my boyfriend bowl, since he's really the only one I've seen over a consistant period of time. Bowling is about whatever works for you, if you can go out there and you have the power to throw no thumb, go ahead be my guest. I personally do not have the power in my wrist for it, nor would i really try seeing as i am consistantly gaining in average every year with the style I have now. Its all about that particular person and their technique.