PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: censoring

ArtVandelay
04-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a suggestion.

I recently posted in a thread, and got censored. I'm not exactly a sailor's mouth typer, but I do think censoring on an open internet forum is a bit much...

I think we are all adults here (for the most part, of course), and shouldn't be censored from what we say.

On the OTHER hand. I do think the anus is on the members of the forum to censor themselves to an extent, and be appropriate. I know there are some things that are too good not to pass on, so I think the NSFW (not safe for work) disclaimer is appropriate, and the members should be mindful of that (and the moderators should perhaps add it if a member accidently forgets, along with a nice little pm simply stating, please post NSFW if something might be objectional).

I dunno, I just think it's a bit of a slap in the face to the members, and I might be the only one who feels that way....

For the record, I had typed something along the lines of, "He's s h i t t i n g bricks right now...." in reference to my friend who's job is in severe jeopardy, and that is what got censored.

I just think it's one of those things.... Full disclaimer: I am a bit of an english nerd. Lately, I have become much more lax than I used to be (especially with my use of ellipses), but I love reading and writing. In High School, I managed to earn up to 18 credited college hours for English and Lit (I say earn UP TO, because my major only required 6 hours, so only 6 counted, but in the event I were to major in the English Language, I could be credited up to 18 hours, depending on the school). due to my AP test scores, SAT and ACT scores. I think the english language is a beautiful thing, communication is wonderful, and that is why I strongly oppose censorship. In contrast, I understand completely why some would take offense to bad language, and therefore, I certainly do not condone posts containing "****/****ing/****ers" every other word.... HOWEVER, I do think we are all adults and should be allowed to express ourselves, and if curse words fit the purpose........

So, anyway.... I'll get off my soap box now.

kev3inp
04-22-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a filter that did that for you, and not a real person. If this were an "adults only" forum I'd have to agree with you, but as there are children that come here, and childish, easily offended adults I understand and condone the need for the filter. To that end I censor myself when I write, and I'm pretty sure I'm at least as much of an "English nerd" as you are. It's not hard to remember the constraints and find, shall we say, creative ways around them.

ArtVandelay
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a filter that did that for you, and not a real person. If this were an "adults only" forum I'd have to agree with you, but as there are children that come here, and childish, easily offended adults I understand and condone the need for the filter. To that end I censor myself when I write, and I'm pretty sure I'm at least as much of an "English nerd" as you are. It's not hard to remember the constraints and find, shall we say, creative ways around them.

Yeah, I know it was a filter that did it, that's why I was saying I think that filter should be removed, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Just my two cents....

kev3inp
04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
The filter was set much higher before. It would *** words like "Class" or "Association." Perhaps we need an adults only, anything goes forum, but the terms of use do state, in a general way, the limitations. I'm really sorry that it bothered you, my friend. I just kind of take it for granted and use the name of a Muslim sect, or a Japanese mushroom when I wish to utilize that root word. True, it's not like it's anything we've never heard before or said before, but a line has to be drawn somewhere and there's only so much discretion a filter has. Besides, we're much smarter than some filter, aren't we? Look at it as an exercise in creativity. (Chris, you didn't see that.)

The KingPin
04-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Kevin is right as we have MANY youth bowlers who visit this site. Part of the goal here is to be a family friendly site. And at one point the filters were VERY STRICT yet I have faith in people so it was backed off.

I will look into this more.

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Dirty mouth? Clean it up with Orbitz...da da da...bling! LOL...sorry just though it was funny!

kev3inp
04-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Dirty mouth? Clean it up with Orbitz...da da da...bling! LOL...sorry just though it was funny!

It was! I think we're going to get along splendidly.

Maybe there will be a larger cast of characters for this year's Florida mini gathering.

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Do we know where and where its going to be so I can mark it on my array of 24 calanders??? lol..kidding only have one. But I would like to know so I can take the time off from work.

kev3inp
04-25-2009, 02:20 PM
It's usually a weekend in late September or early October. There's a couple from England that come in to join us every couple of years and we tend to build it around their arrival. I need to write them soon and see if they'll be coming over this year.

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Sweet! Well sounds good to me. Just keep us posted.