PDA

View Full Version : Mars Review

precisionrotoguy
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Layout- Pin 5” from PAP, hole wide/shallow 1” up the VAL

I was actually pretty surprised on how weak this ball was, but I’ve noticed that when you drill them stronger than I did (my layout is pretty weak) they roll pretty strong, so this tells me it’s pretty much par for the course for the Planet line- flexible and a good value in comparison to many other companies’ product lines. I polished mine and it looks great up the lane, I sanded it and it looked good from further left- still maintaining its motion through the rack. Honestly, who couldn’t use that kind of flexibility from a middle-entry type ball? The cool thing is (and those who know me know that I almost never reference this sort of thing) how awesome this ball looks. Don’t let the description fool you, yes it is black and orange, but the ball looks like it has a chameleon paint job. When the light hits it it looks purple, but the sides still look orange and black. This thing looks super on the shelf, on the rack, going down the lanes and in the black light. Who doesn’t wanna look good when they’re bowling? Plus, from a pro shop perspective, balls that look good on the shelf and grab people’s attention sell like gangbusters, which is good for local business and the industry as a whole. Personally, I see this ball as a great fit for Medium to dry for your scratch bowler, but also a sweet looking entry ball for everyone.

Jason Hoff
Area 300 Pro Shop

RonCase823
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
My Axis is 5 5/8 right, ¼ up, my speed is average and I would consider myself with higher revs but more up the back. So not a cranker but not really straight either.

This ball I put the pin under my middle finger and kicked the CG out positive just slightly. This ball works well when you hit the desert or dry conditions. However if you like to play out but can’t on house shots because of too much friction this will suit you well. High rev players or slower speed will love it also. With my release I seem to get the ball rolling early which on dry lanes is a killer. This ball, even on the driest lanes I’ve seen, goes great through the heads and really kicks hard on the backend. Now I can’t wait for the lanes to get fried because this ball can handle that.

Ron Case - RotoGrip Staff

MoonsLefty
03-21-2009, 12:06 PM
What can I say about Mars? Well, it is a very clean rolling ball through the heads which is what you have come to expect from the planet line, but it does give you more backend than the rest of the line. Even in a house with very soft heads. It is stronger than the Neptune, which for me was really over /under, its cleaner through the fronts than the Pluto. Hopefully this is a planet I will be able to throw with more consistency, which I haven't been able to do since the Saturn.

Bucko the Bowler
03-21-2009, 09:57 PM
First time using this ball was on a very tough house shot where most bowlers only average in the 2-teens. The lanes have no recovery outside and a medium amount of oil in the middle. The oil pattern runs approx 38 ft and has a lot of over/under to the lane condition. The Mars read late in the mid-lanes off the back of the oil pattern and picked up an aggressive roll, not a snappy reaction and it also has a great drive through the pins. My first game with the Mars I bowled a 300 with an overall 787 series. I thought the Neptune was a great ball and then Roto Grip came out with the Pluto, which raised the bar for a great entry level ball; However the Mars goes over and above both of those balls in comparison to ball reaction. This ball is going to work great on every type of lane surface and the light to medium oil patterns.
BRANDON HARRIS
Amateur Roto Grip Staff

cmsubowler
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Drilled up a Mars to help out through some tough transitions. This ball is very predictable and gets to the pins with energy leftover. Drilled one up with a initial drilling angle of 45 degrees with a 3.75" pin to PAP and VAL angle of 55 degrees. Brought my game back to the right about 12 boards and was able to throw it to and through the "dirt" and leftovers on the right side of a wood lanes house that I am usually starting with my feet somewhere between 24 and 32 keeping the ball tight online to stay in the oil. Slight surface change will allow you to keep the speed up and start with this ball on a fresh shot. Ball will read the end and bank off of the dry boards with zero hesitation while still getting through the front half of the lane very clean.

tbs1
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Drilled 5"pin to pap x 4" mb to pap w/ 3" pin buffer.

Initial thoughts- I had a big hole between my Pluto and Neptune. Since the Rogue cell fits in so good for me in between the Cell and Cell pearl, I was optimistic about the Mars filling this gap. On THS, without surface modifications the Pluto would be a little early, and the Neptune wouldn't get back off the spot.

The Mars is just what the doctor ordered for my needs. It's super clean through the heads with enough pop off the spot. Easily fits in between the other two planets. THe ball is most definitely more bang for the buck, and the shelf appeal doesn't hurt.

For those of you interested, I should have a video coming soon...

Thanks,

John Brodersen
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Ball specs – 15 lbs 2 oz, 3.10 top weight, and 2.50-inch pin.

Let me start by saying the Mars is a much better looking ball than the various photos illustrate. The dark purple / orange combination really provides for customer shelf appeal.

The symmetrical Mars was drilled using the dual angle method. The layout is a 6-inch pin, 55-degree drill angle and a 70-degree VAL angle. This put the pin just under the middle finger and the CG under and about 1.5 inches below the ring finger. No X-hole was required and the surface was hit lightly with a 4000 abralon pad.

I was still looking for a ball when the lanes become extremely black and white side to side later in the day during tournament play. (A shout out to Storm’s technical director Ernest Goedicke for his time and layout suggestion) The Mars hybrid cover provides easy length down the lane and a very smooth move off the friction. With this layout the Mars only flares about 1.5 inches but still provides crisp hit and carry. With this layout the Mars does need to see some friction to get it going and will be some what condition specific.

The Roto Grip Shield line has had the best entry-level performance products in the industry. The Mars continues to improve upon this impressive line up.

John Brodersen

Tess7654
03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I drilled my Mars with a 4" pin from pap, cg slightly kicked out with a hole 2" below my pap on my val. I have used the Mars on a house shot and on the viper pattern and it was very predictable and carried very well. On a typical house shot I was able to play fairly straight right up 6-7 or move into 12 and throw it out to 5....what i was most impressed with was how it didn't over hook if thrown into the dry to quickly. On the viper pattern I was able to play very direct straight up 4-5. I've also noticed with the Mars I am able to increase my tilt and create 3-4 more boards of backend and still have a predictable motion. All in all this is my favorite planet ball yet...just when you think RotoGrip can't get any better they do.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/Dt7755/0329091914a.jpg

David Tessman
Roto Grip Staff

PaulMc
03-31-2009, 09:44 PM
I had no idea what to expect from the Mars when I got it. My first shot with the Mars told me that this ball is a condition ball for when the lanes are pretty dry. That was not entirely accurate. The ball goes really long but has a strong finish (as long as you keep it out of the puddles!).

While practicing today on a house condition, I started with my Cell Rogue and was swinging the ball crossing eight going out to about five. After getting lines up and throwing some strikes I switched to the Mars. I ended up moving six and two left which allowed me to play way outside the oil line. At first I was leaving some 7 pins as the ball was going pretty long. I moved my target a little closer to me and …wow. I struck forever. A guy in the league next to me asked if I had 15 or 20 in a row. I didn’t know but it was a lot. I then threw about eight more strikes after that. On today’s house shots, its not a big deal to see people strike but I actually had people back there mumbling I was striking so much.

I can’t wait to throw this ball in competition! I know on certain shots it will give me an awesome reaction others won’t have.

Mikelj
04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I have my Mars drilled with the pin above the fingers 3" from the PAP. This ball is great out of the box. 679 my first series bowling on 36' house shot.

I love the true roll of this ball. From the first game to the last the ball kept striking and the carry was great. I was able to bounce the ball off the dry and and watch it make a easy turn toward the pocket. The ball cleared the heads cleanly. Nine strikes my third game only broken up by a 7-10 in the sixth frame.

This ball hooks much more than I expected.

ODriscoll
04-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Mars

The shield line continues to add value in the best entry level balls on the market. For pro shop operators this series could easily be your best seller. Don’t be deceived by the picture as the ball is pretty cool looking especially going down the lane.

The Orbiter II core wrapped in one of my favorite coverstocks. The Hybrid Reactive coverstock provides more versatility than most balls especially at this price range. Definitely suited for shorter patterns, the Mars does very well on your typical house shot. Good heavy roll with not a lot of flare. It also does very well when lanes get ugly or burnt. The Mars can allow you to stay in your comfort zone longer or when others are lofting the gutter caps. Highly recommended for tournament bowlers.

Kelly O’Driscoll
Roto Grip Staff

SenorRotoGrip
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I drilled the box condition (1500 polished Hybrid cover) Mars with a 4 3/4 x 4 layout, pin 3/4" above the fingers on grip centerline, leaving approximately 1/2 ounce of static side and finger weight, no hole.

The Mars is definately a medium to dry lanes ball. The hybrid cover is great and the Orbiter II weight block matches up nicely with it. Because it is a high rg, low differential ball, medium to heavy oil volumes and the Mars will not work all that well together. On a fresh house shot (39') the Mars skidded down lane too long before making a move to the pocket.
But, on a 37' PBA Viper pattern,on wood lanes, the Mars was right on. The ball went through the heads easily and made a nice move off the break point. Using surface/pin adjustments for synthetic surfaces should allow the ball driller to match up a Mars with the novice, intermediate, or advanced player with no problem depending on what the bowler is looking for.

As with all the balls in the Planet line, the Orbiter II core hits extremely hard, keeping the pins low, allowing for more carry on slightly off pocket hits. For bowler's looking for a late shift or tournament burn ball, the Mars will get the job done. For the less experienced bowler, buying their first reactive ball, the Mars will work just fine.

Brendan Bierch
Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff

BShep
04-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Drilling 5 3/4 x 3 1/2 pin under middle finger.
I drilled the Mars with a longer pin to pap in hopes of getting great length and a little kick on the backend to use on true dry conditions. At the time of drilling we had 3 upcoming tournaments on wood lanes where I expected this to be a good remedy.

After initially throwing the ball on a medium volume THS on HPL's, this ball went even longer than expected. The backend movement was as expected, just too far down the lane. This ball definitely needed some dry boards to move. I decided to take some of the shine off and try it at 2000 grit to get it to pick up a little sooner.

On the wood lanes, this ball really shined. I wasn't able to use it initially but once the heads started to blow, this ball was the perfect match. While others were struggling getting any length, with balls hooking at their feet, the Mars still got through the heads with ease without sacrificing carry. Normally I would be in around 5th arrow, whereas the Mars allowed me to stay between 2nd and 3rd.

In summary, the Mars is a great ball for dry lane conditions or broken down shots. As always, don't be afraid to make surface adjustments as needed to fine tune your ball reaction.

Rockteschel
04-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I drilled the Mars to be used on short sport patterns. I drilled it 40x6x60. The tall that I drilled has a 2.5” pin. This layout put the pin just to the left of my middle finger. This Mars reacts just like I wanted and predicted it would. It does not hook immediately upon leaving the oiled part of the lanes. It makes a controlled move to the pocket and still hits with power. I threw the ball on the cheetah pattern. I played 4 board at the arrows and was standing on the 17th board with the center of my left foot. The ball made a predictable smooth motion to the pocket. The only drawback was the drilling. If I got lazy I did not get the ball to finish.
The Mars in my opinion will be an excellent ball for the beginning bowler looking for an entry level performance ball or for the experience tournament bowler looking for a good ball for light oil.

Cory
www.tenpincoaching.com

playbowl
04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I drilled the Mars to be used on short sport patterns. I drilled it 40x6x60. The tall that I drilled has a 2.5” pin. This layout put the pin just to the left of my middle finger. This Mars reacts just like I wanted and predicted it would. It does not hook immediately upon leaving the oiled part of the lanes. It makes a controlled move to the pocket and still hits with power. I threw the ball on the cheetah pattern. I played 4 board at the arrows and was standing on the 17th board with the center of my left foot. The ball made a predictable smooth motion to the pocket. The only drawback was the drilling. If I got lazy I did not get the ball to finish.
The Mars in my opinion will be an excellent ball for the beginning bowler looking for an entry level performance ball or for the experience tournament bowler looking for a good ball for light oil.

Cory
www.tenpincoaching.com
That is almost identical to the ball I drilled up for short sport patterns from another company except your 60 was 30 for me. You must have a slower ball speed (15-16). Sounds like the Mars is just like the rest of the planet series. Great beginner to benchmark balls as well as light oil conditions. Great equipment for the price.

rotoguy838
04-27-2009, 08:49 PM
My Mars is drilled with the pin about 3 1/2 inches from my PAP with the CG kicked to the right about a quarter of an inch. This drilling allows the ball to get through the fronts and start to react mid lane with strong back end and be very continuous through the break point and pins. This ball hits like a truck and is very consistent and predictable. This ball has the mid lane roll of the Pluto but the back end reaction of the Neptune. This ball will work on many different conditions.

Jimmy Crews
Roto Grip Amateur Staff Member

bowlrbob
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
The Mars is the answer when you need a ball to play in the dry area. I can use my normal hand position and turn and the ball and it reacts like my Cell's no matter how dry the lanes get. I use it in the dirt and when I want to ride the edge of the oil. The best part is that it Carry's like a ball that costs much more. This ball is excellent for tournament shots especially when the lanes dry out in the heads. Goes through the heads easily but finishes like a much more expensive ball. When you want to cut down on your swing but still need power at the pins this is the ball for you.

StoneColdski
05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
This ball is SO CLEAN and creates a SMOOTH/AGGRESIVE motion to the pocket with TREMENDOUS HITTING POWER!! The ball allows me to stay right when others start fighting the friction. I ALSO have been able to step in and get this HYBRID to cover some boards. Bowlers have asked me,"what is that?" My reply is, " the latest ENTRY LEVEL ball from Roto Grip!" This ball definetely fits between the Pluto (Early) and the Neptune (Late) very well.

There is NO company giving the bowler this much versatility at an ENTRY LEVEL than Roto Grip!!! GREAT JOB

cmsubowler
06-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Drilled up a Mars to help out through some tough transitions. This ball is very predictable and gets to the pins with energy leftover. Drilled one up with a initial drilling angle of 45 degrees with a 3.75" pin to PAP and VAL angle of 55 degrees. Brought my game back to the right about 12 boards and was able to throw it to and through the "dirt" and leftovers on the right side of a wood lanes house that I am usually starting with my feet somewhere between 24 and 32 keeping the ball tight online to stay in the oil. Slight surface change will allow you to keep the speed up and start with this ball on a fresh shot. Ball will read the end and bank off of the dry boards with zero hesitation while still getting through the front half of the lane very clean.

Mr Scary
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Drilling Rico, pin in the palm with CG at 45 deg angle.

This ball is very smooth throughout. Easy through the heads, good read through the mids, and does not jump when it hits dry. The pin action is good. I have had very good luck with the entry level Roto Grip balls, and this ball is no different. Great addition with the hybrid coverstock.

pbacanuck
06-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Mars

When I drilled my Mars I was looking for a ball that I could use on a typical wet/dry fresh house shot. I took one with the pin out as far as I could get, which in this case was a little over 3 inches, and with as low a top as I could find, which in this case was still 2 1/2 ozs. I put the pin right on my axis and tilted the CG towards the middle of my grip. What I got was a ball with no flare and a really heavy roll. It works jthe way I hoped it would. Nice even arc and suprising little deflection. It didn't over-react on the dry but had trouble recovering if I tugged it in on the oil a bit. A quick spin with a 2000 abralon pad to take the polish off of it did the trick and gave me more room both ways.

Rotomike
06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I laid out my Mars pin high 4 1/4 “ to pap cg 4” to pap with an extra hole on my VAL at midline.

I bowl on a THS that is blatantly wet dry but carry also is an issue. I was surprised at how smooth this ball is. Even though I have it drilled strong I do not have to worry about it jumping too hard off of the spot and I do not have to throw it to get it down the lane.

Recovery is great and the continuation through the pins is awesome. I am surprised how well this entry performance ball works.

It is very versatile; I have seen Mars’ used on the shorter PBAX patterns with great success.

In the shop; the shelf appeal has novice bowlers commenting on how they like the colors.

A great benchmark ball for all styles of bowler.

reggieroto
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
The Mars is a good overall every day ball. If you fancy yourself as being able to adjust to different lane surfaces and conditions; this is the ball. This ball doesn't do anything strange or funny just a good clean rolling ball with a medium back end reaction.

msherman
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
The Layout:

3.5 x 4.5 (label shift)

The Motion:

This ball is a great compliment in the Roto Grip series of Equipment. Only having thrown the Mars in the planet series so far, it is easy to say that the hitting power behind this line is unbelievable. This ball definitely handles drier conditions with ease. It is easy to move to the track area and play more of a direct line to the pocket, even with a higher rev rate. Hitting power is definitely not sacrificed at this price point. The ball is very controllable. In a higher volume pattern, this ball never has a chance to read. It is very clean through the heads with a very gradual motion to the pocket.

Anyone who is looking for a ball to compliment their higher end equipment, a Mars is definitely the planet you want to go to.

RotoGripSkitt159
07-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Words that i can describe this ball is awsome.First mars i drilled i got the pin below my ring finger about inch below it ,my pap is three and ahalf so this kind of layout this ball is going to be a little more roll in the front part of the lane and smoother transition down lane.Also i changed the service to two thousand abaron so it would be to over under in the backend of the lane when it carryed down.extra hole was needed.Even with with this layout and also changing the cover ball still gets down those dryer lane conditions thanks to the sure grip 2 hybrid reactive cover and the orbiter 2 core that this ball has.
2nd mars i was looking for a little bit more lenght and a sharper break point.Pin is place alot further from my axis (6'') above middle,cg inch and a half below my middle finger.no extra hole needed for this layout.Cause orf my lower pap and track im able to use this kind of layout This layout on this ball gives me that clean look right threw the heads even if the heads are burnt up and still has enough energy to still give me that sharper break point down lane.At the end of the day this is a great ball for its price and for those dryier and those shorter sport patters bowlers are looking for.

my rogue drilled pin above middle finger about 6 inchs from my pap and cg about two inchs below my middle finger and mas bias about 1 inch right of my thumb hole.Cause of my pap being alot lower (3-1/2 ) this layout still gives me great read threw the midlane and alot a motion in the backend.On those longer patterns,even when the lanes start to carry down.Rogue cell would be a great ball in anybowlers bag,so belive me if you like the first two cells wait till you get your hands on the rouge who will not be dissapointed trust me.

kev3inp
08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm researching this ball and finally read this review. This ball has a symmetrical core, so where is there a mass bias? There's a cg and a pin, but no mass bias marking as far as I can tell. I think he's confusing the cg with the mass bias. We're looking for a ball for drier lane conditions because our equipment was way too strong for most of the patterns at the Gathering, and often too strong for the shot they put out in our league night.

RotoGripSkitt159
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply ya i forgot to correct that there is no mass bias location on this ball. just pin and cg my mistake

kev3inp
08-12-2009, 05:41 AM
No problem. We're still looking, but with the success of rotogrip's line, I'm still leaning towards the Mars. My wife has the Cell and I have the Rogue Cell and we're very happy with them. They're just too much ball lately.

JaxBowlingGuy
08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
How about a Nomad? split the difference between the mars and rogue...

Graaille
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Actually, most balls in the planet line would do well for you Kev, especially if you can get earlier balls for less than the current lineup (mars / nomad). I can't say anything negative about them -- if I weren't loyal, I'd have a lot more RG on the racks.