PDA

View Full Version : Texan Krol leads qualifying at USBC Queens

onefrombills
04-26-2009, 03:01 AM
RENO, Nev. - Kristy Krol of Alvin, Texas, has never won a title outside of the local level, but on Saturday at the 2009 United States Bowling Congress Queens she put her fellow competitors on notice that she is the woman to beat.

Krol flirted with the record books by firing a five-game total of 1,238, an average of 247.6 per game, to lead the opening day of qualifying at the National Bowling Stadium. The highest five-game qualifying block in Queens history is 1,258 by Carolyn Dorin-Ballard in 2001.

In the past few years, the first round of qualifying has been led by former professional bowlers, Team USA members or USBC Hall of Famers, so Krol said she relishes the fact that she was able to top them all.

"I think it's hilarious because I think they always assume they are going to be the ones leading," Krol said "I'm even surprised that I bowled that well. Everything was just very clear and easy for me today. It was kind of cool."

Krol had games of 254, 211, 259, 237 and 277 and leads former professional bowler Lisa Bishop by just seven pins. Bishop had one of two 300 games in the first round of qualifying, achieving perfection in the second game.

"I was very nervous going into the 10th, and I just wanted to throw three good shots," Bishop said. "The squad before broke down the lanes pretty well, so it helped create a little room for me. Hopefully, I can make the right adjustments on the fresh oil tomorrow to be in the same position."

USBC Hall of Famer Robin Romeo had the other perfect game, closing out her five-game set with 300 to move into fifth place with 1,191.

"I just tried to get in a good rhythm on every shot," said Romeo, who shot an 805 series in team event en route to leading Classic All-Events in the USBC Women's Championships. "It felt pretty good. I haven't had a 300 or 800 in a while, so it has been a pretty good week."

All bowlers return Sunday for a second five-game qualifying block before the field is cut to the top 100. The remaining bowlers take part in a final five-game block Monday morning, and the top 63 join defending champion Lynda Barnes in double-elimination match play starting Monday afternoon. The final five players will advance to the televised stepladder finals at the Reno Events Center, which will be broadcast live on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.