PDA

View Full Version : competition, does it make you bowl better?

ebowler
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I've been bowling with my wife every Sunday, it's our day out together. She started in January, averages 80, and sees it as just something to do together. Her thing is Running. I average 180+ over our Sunday games since we started mid January.

I signed up for a summer league, and went up to sub on that league last Wednesday to try and get into the Wednesday after work routine. I ended up with a team where the averages are 200+ and averaged 216 myself. I knew I had to stay up with my guy on the other team if I was going to contribute to the team effort. I took 2 games, and my opponent took one game and total pins, so I felt I held my own.

So the question is, competition, does it make you bowl better? Based on my experience, I believe it does.

playbowl
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Great question. A lot depends on personality types, motivation and frame of mind. Sounds like your wife is having fun enjoying time with you so competition probably wouldn't make much difference in bowling but might be a different story in a 5K run. You on the other hand seem to want a challenge and a tougher league in bowling provides that. So for you competition does induce better performance. A league environment is a great place to learn the "skill" of competitive bowling before entering tournaments which is a whole different mindset, especially the head to head competition. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing, focusing on each shot and staying relaxed while bowling you will perform at your best. Sounds like you have a great doubles partner and great team mates, enjoy the time together.

dougb
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
A buddy and I started bowling league together. He started out a much better bowler, but I am catching up (outperformed him the last few times). The competition between us has been good for both our games.

We also practiced together on Sunday mornings before my baby came, and that helped too.

Jord_84
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
I think I'm just as competitive in practice as I am in competition. I treat every practice as I would a league match or tournament. I think this is why I usually don't fail when my scores count....I'm use to the pressure.

Whitelightning
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Bowl with better bowlers..you bowl better. It's the comp.

onefrombills
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Bowl with better Bowlers and you will get better....Hear what they say whern they give you advise!

bigern523
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
We got a friend of mine to bowl with us this year . He hasn't bowled in a mens league for years . He usually has a 190-195 average in the mixed league . We got him some newer equipment and helped him learn to use it . He had 2 700's this year. ended up averaging 202 . First time ever over 200. The second half he probably averaged 209 or 210 .I think the competition helped him .

Whitelightning
04-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Thats great to hear. Good for him.:)

Strike Domination
04-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Some people really thrive in competition, and some people can shoot lights out in practice but don't do as well in competition. I'm not sure I fall into either category, because I could do just as well or just as bad in either situation. I think for me, it's just a matter of how I'm executing that day and how I match up to the condition.

MH1313
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Some people really thrive in competition, and some people can shoot lights out in practice but don't do as well in competition. I'm not sure I fall into either category, because I could do just as well or just as bad in either situation. I think for me, it's just a matter of how I'm executing that day and how I match up to the condition.

+1 completely!!!

Competition doesn't necessary effect my game one way or the other. For years it adversly effected my game, I would "crack" under the pressure...now, I fully realize that no matter how much I want to beat the ever loving snot out of my opponent (bowling wise of course) if I'm not executing that day, or just not carrying how I'd like to...there is only so much I can do within my bag and within my knowlege of the lanes.

If its not gonna happen, its not gonna happen. I try my hardest every time to beat my man/opposing team, but if the pins arent' there, the competition won't make that up for me.

I focus on having fun and staying relaxed more than intense...I focus when I need to and relax when I need to!

Cheers all!

JAnderson
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
It is definitely true that it depends on the individual, but that doesn't mean an individual can't learn to thrive in a tournament condition. Competitive bowling is no different than anything else. The more we do it, the more comfortable we get doing it because it becomes normal instead of the exception. We often refer to "comfort zone" as where and how we like to play the lanes, but it also relates to the mental game.

Personally, competition brings out the best in my game. I've thrown almost twice as many honor scores in tournaments as I have in league and considering 80% of the tournaments in which I participate are conducted on sport patterns, and 80% of my leagues are conducted on typical house shots, that's saying something. To my point - I wasn't always that way. It developed over time.

JAnderson
04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Bowl with better bowlers..you bowl better. It's the comp.

That's a completely different, if related, topic, worthy of its own thread. There is so much to say about that topic! :)