PDA

View Full Version : Kulick powers into second-round lead at USBC Queens

onefrombills
04-27-2009, 02:30 AM
RENO, Nev. - Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., may have the second-round qualifying lead at the 2009 United States Bowling Congress Queens, but the former champion isn't content to just put her game on cruise control.

Kulick, who won the 2007 Queens, has a 10-game total of 2,367 and leads a group of the top 100 players who advanced Sunday to a final five-game qualifying block Monday morning at the National Bowling Stadium.

With a lead that virtually assures her a spot among the top 63 who will advance to match play, Kulick will use the cushion to gather more information on the lanes during the next five games.

"I'm going to drill a ball and see what kind of room I have," Kulick said. "I want to try some things to feel out the lanes and see what I have. The goal is to get prepared for match play."

Kulick, who finished sixth last year in her attempt to defend her title, said she took advantage of a few breaks during Sunday's round. She had games of 200, 268, 225, 248 and 210 for a total of 1,151 to jump from third to first. She opened the tournament Saturday with 1,216.

"I just capitalized on some breaks that I haven't had the opportunity to receive in awhile," Kulick said. "I threw it probably about 80 percent compared to yesterday, but the pins just fell my way."

Lisa Bishop of Belleville, Mich., sits in second place with 2,323, while first-round leader Kristy Krol of Alvin, Texas, shot 1,029 Sunday and is third with 2,267. Jaime Martin of Omaha, Neb., is next with 2,262.

Former professional bowler and past Team USA member Kendra Gaines of Orlando, Fla., had the second highest set of the day with 1,169 and is fifth with 2,258.

"Everything is good in my life and bowling is fun for me," Gaines said. "I don't do it for a living any more, so there are less expectations, but I always want to perform well."

Shana Ray of Woodsboro, Texas, opened her second block with the tournament's third 300 game and is 10th with 2,213.

Earning the final spot in the top 100 was Shawna Lane of Tucson, Ariz., with a 10-game total of 1,987.

After the remaining 100 bowlers complete the final five-game qualifying block Monday morning, the field will be cut to the top 63 who will join defending champion Lynda Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, in the three-game, double-elimination match play finals starting Monday afternoon. The final five players will advance to the televised stepladder finals at the Reno Events Center, which will be broadcast live on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.