PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the Red Sox?

The KingPin
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Wow they swept the Yankees, They are on like an 11 game winning streak. Simply amazing.

What do you think? They they will lose it or go to the World Series this year?

onefrombills
04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
STEP 1 - walks on soap box
STEP 2 - warms up voice
STEP 3 - drinks a lil water
STEP 4 - Yells as loud as I can .......EFF THE RED SUX
STEP 5 - drinks some more water
STEP 6- gets off soap box

kev3inp
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
LOL! They can win against the Spankees anytime as far as I'm concerned. I like one NY team, and it's the Mets. Because they play the cubs! 100 years of futility and still counting. One century is not enough, let's play for 2! ;) Sure, they're the "lovable losers." But they're still LOSERS.

Oops, now I guess I'll get called more names or my parentage will be called into question. They can't come up with anything else, it seems.

Say this: "I'm we Todd did." Of course you are, but you can't help it.

Jord_84
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I hate the American League in general :D

ArtVandelay
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
STEP 1 - walks on soap box
STEP 2 - warms up voice
STEP 3 - drinks a lil water
STEP 4 - Yells as loud as I can .......EFF THE RED SUX
STEP 5 - drinks some more water
STEP 6- gets off soap box

Step one: go "eff" yourself!!! hahahahaha. Ya jerk! That's my team you're talking about there!!!

LOL! They can win against the Spankees anytime as far as I'm concerned. I like one NY team, and it's the Mets. Because they play the cubs! 100 years of futility and still counting. One century is not enough, let's play for 2! ;) Sure, they're the "lovable losers." But they're still LOSERS.

Oops, now I guess I'll get called more names or my parentage will be called into question. They can't come up with anything else, it seems.

Say this: "I'm we Todd did." Of course you are, but you can't help it.

Step two: your anger is obviously not directed at my team, and hostilities seem to exist for my hated rival, so I thank you for your comments, but regret your disdain for the poor cubbie fan.

I hate the American League in general :D

Step three: nevermind step two.... Comments like that from a cubs fan make my sympathies seem misguided.....

Jord_84
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Step three: nevermind step two.... Comments like that from a cubs fan make my sympathies seem misguided.....
I have to hate the AL....the Yankees, the White Sox.....the root of all evil

ArtVandelay
04-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I have to hate the AL....the Yankees, the White Sox.....the root of all evil

That's just two teams, and the Yankees are meant to be hated anyway (but I wouldn't want it any other way. I truthfully love having them in my division, because those games are so meaningful).... Leave the rest of them out of it!!! hahahaha.

ArtVandelay
04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
BTW, we are back in the win column after yesterday's error plagued defeat!!!

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of what our pitching has been doing so far (failing Penny's last start. BUT, I give Lester some credit, he had a rough couple of innings, but he hung in there and gave us a couple good innings of bullpen rest, which is BIG with the Rays series coming up).

My biggest fear? Ortiz hasn't figured it out yet.... I don't know if he will, he's just been so far behind on fast balls, that he has to overcompensate on breaking balls, and that puts him out in front of those. Injuries might have finally gotten him, and that's a shame, because I certainly like watching that man play, and he's meant a lot to our little organization. I hope he pulls through.

But if he doesn't, I fear the need for a bat. Getting a bat involves a mid season trade. And the other team will want some pitching... I would guess Daniel Baird will be off limits, but that leaves Masterson, and Buchholz out there, and I like what Masterson brings to the table, and I'm interested to see what Buchholz will give us in the long run. I think he has something special to contribute, and I don't just say that because of his no-hitter against the O's (who had a rough month. If memory serves, the Rangers had put up 30-something runs on them just weeks before they were no-hit. They found the worst of both worlds). How about Michael Bowden and his big major league debut against the hated yankees? I would certainly call those two innings he gave us strong to quite strong, and I believe he was credited with a hold!!!

No... No, I say wait it out. Concentrate on re-signing Jason Bay, I like what he's been working with, and think he will find Fenway to be a much better place to hit than PNC ever was. A new hitter will cost money, as well, and I'd much rather save that to make a competitive offer to Justin Morneau who's contract is coming up. Now, I love Varitek as much as anyone, but we need to be realistic about this thing....

Seamistlark
04-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Art,
Good to hear from someone who is educated and well informed, when it comes to the Sox. I was a "Bleachah Creatchah" way back when and go to the games when they are in Tampa. (That would be tonight)
I agree with you about Bay and also about Varitek, but I think we also need to look at the left corner of the infield and address the fact that Lowell has lost a step or two since the surgery. If you watched Sundays game you saw what I am talking about. I think he is a great player but he may have come back a little soon.
Ortiz is always a question in my mind. He seems to have severe highs and lows in his batting stats. This has gone on for a few years now and could be a problem in the fall. I do hope thet Youk is not peeking to soon and he can carry through to the post season.
By the way I have a wall in both my home and work office dedicated to the Sox of the past. From Tony C. to Johnny P. but mostly I have memorabilia from Pudge. I also have the 1976 Star Market photos that have you got from the store each week.

ArtVandelay
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Art,
Good to hear from someone who is educated and well informed, when it comes to the Sox. I was a "Bleachah Creatchah" way back when and go to the games when they are in Tampa. (That would be tonight)
I agree with you about Bay and also about Varitek, but I think we also need to look at the left corner of the infield and address the fact that Lowell has lost a step or two since the surgery. If you watched Sundays game you saw what I am talking about. I think he is a great player but he may have come back a little soon.
Ortiz is always a question in my mind. He seems to have severe highs and lows in his batting stats. This has gone on for a few years now and could be a problem in the fall. I do hope thet Youk is not peeking to soon and he can carry through to the post season.
By the way I have a wall in both my home and work office dedicated to the Sox of the past. From Tony C. to Johnny P. but mostly I have memorabilia from Pudge. I also have the 1976 Star Market photos that have you got from the store each week.

Lowell isn't my biggest concern right now... Right now, I want something to be done about Lugo. He's in and we're starting to lose again. He had a nice throwing error today, which is a step down from his normal fielding errors that will normally only cost ONE base...

I stand by what I said earlier, I just think we are going to need a bat. Maybe I'm resorting to BoSox fan pre-2004 with my current feelings, but I don't see the post season in our future this year. We had a good effort from Penny today, but the bats didn't wake upi. Delcarmen had a rough outing, but the guy wasn't going to finish the season with a 0.00ERA, we have to be realistic about that, and the way he 's been pitching he's more than entitled to the bad day he had today. Lugo's throwing error brought another one home... The bat support has to be there. This was a winnable game, that wasn't.

It's still early, but as far as Youkilis's bat carrying us through the post season, I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about just getting there.

Seamistlark
05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I forgot about Lugo. He and Green both played for the Rays a few years ago. Green has been a .245 hitter on average since Atlanta in 2004. He has had 6 errors since Opening Day for us. Could we find someone better?

ArtVandelay
05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
I forgot about Lugo. He and Green both played for the Rays a few years ago. Green has been a .245 hitter on average since Atlanta in 2004. He has had 6 errors since Opening Day for us. Could we find someone better?

Yeah, Green has 6 to date, and is batting just above .280... LUGO, on the other hand, is about 3 years older, batting a SOLID .214, and is an error waiting to happen (although to date, he has 1). Truth is, we're stuck with him and his 9.25 million salary or he'd be gone. We got rid of Cora instead.

I don't know what our problem is with short stop... Renteria was more than serviceable, albeit a little old. I would have liked to have ridden him out longer than we did. Gonzalez wasn't half bad, although he wasn't the same player he once was (WAAAAAAaaaaaay back when), when he was compared to Nomah and jeter. I was looking forward to seeing what this Lowrie kid has in him. When the Sox were down in Texas, last year, Lowrie played short the whole series (Cora and Lugo were the only other choices. It's really just picking the lesser of 3 evils at that point.... Rookie, idiot number 1, or idiot number 2???), and I liked what he brought to the table, although he was young and raw. He is unrefined, and was out of position quite a few times, but you know what....? He showed a lot of promise, so much so, that we got rid of Cora (once again, we CAN'T get rid of Lugo, no one in their right mind will take him!), and decided we would see if Lugo wanted to play better, or if Lowrie would take over the job this year. Guess what happened?

Know what's kind of sad, the more I think about it? Hanley Ramirez was ours.... Product of our farm system. He would have been out starting short stop. But we made a trade that you HAVE to make 100% of the time, to bring in Beckett and Lowell (there were a couple other guys involved, if memory serves, but none of them have amounted to anything so their names are escaping me). I'll never blame Theo for pulling the trigger on that trade. Even to this day, I think you have to make that trade if you could go back and do it over. But, that Hanley Ramirez guy sure is a nice looking kid, isn't he????

Seamistlark
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
We have great news from the northeast - "Sox Sweep Yanks, Again!"

ArtVandelay
05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
We need another series with the yankmees.... The (devil) rays seem to have our number....

Maine Man
08-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Huge

Maine Man
08-15-2009, 05:18 AM
HUGE win last night for the Sox. Coming back from a 4-2 deficit in the 9th to win it 8-4. Now they are 1 1/2 ahead of Texas for the wild card lead. Hopefully this gives them some momentum going into the end of August and into September. Go Sox!!!