PDA

View Full Version : On the Lanes with Jeff Fehr

onefrombills
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
In the coming months, we'll talk with some of best-known bowlers at the USBC Open Championships and get their thoughts on their time at the tournament and what it takes to succeed on the championship lanes.

This week, we heard from Jeff Fehr, the son of USBC Hall of Famers Nancy and Steve Fehr, who will be in Las Vegas to compete in this year's event on April 29 and 30.

Jeff will join his father on the Browning Pontiac team that claimed the 2006 Regular Team and 2007 Team All-Events titles. The original team included Steve Fehr, George Gohagen III, Jon Murph, Ken Jessee and Ken Abner. Abner's exempt status on the Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour made him ineligible for the Open Championships and left an open spot for Jeff this year.

Jeff has had his own share of success on the lanes, which includes a Hoinke Classic doubles title with Abner and recent wins at the Bradley Open and Hoinke Scratch Classic.

"It is extremely exciting to be bowling team event with my father, Ken, Jon and George this year," Jeff Fehr said. "I have very large shoes to fill taking Ken's spot, but we are ready to continue the success that the team has shown. It was an absolute blast watching Browning win their two eagles. We bowl as a 10 person team, so everyone was rooting for them to take the lead even though the companion team was bowling to win as well."

HOMETOWN: Cincinnati

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS APPEARANCES: This is 13.

OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS TITLES: None, yet

BOWLING BALL WEIGHT: 15

FAVORITE BRAND OF BOWLING BALLS: Ebonite

ONE all-time favorite host city: Reno. I love the Stadium.

TWO best Open Championships memories: 1. Last year, we had a chance to shoot a big number in team. 2. Watching the Browning team win their two eagles first-hand.

THREE keys to success at the Open Championships: 1. Choose the correct ball to match up. 2. Bowl as a team. 3. Stay ahead of the moves with communication.

FOURgettable Open Championships moment: 1. I bowled terrible my first couple years coming to the tournament. 2. Our last few frames of team last year. 3. My dad and I have had a couple of good starts in doubles, but we haven't been able to finish it off (mostly because of me!).

FIVE bowlers in history on your Open Championships fantasy all-star team: Earl Anthony, Mark Roth, Norm Duke, Dick Weber, and Bill Lillard

SIX bowling balls currently in your Open Championships arsenal: Ebonite Gamebreaker, Elite Black Label, Storm HyRoad and Second Dimension, Roto Grip Cell and Rogue Cell

SEVEN cities you'd like to see the Open Championships go to/return to: Reno, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, Dallas

EIGHT favorite bowling balls ever: Red Pulse, Turbo X, Super Beast, Too Hot, Total NV, X Factor, Meteor Storm, V2

NINE other current/eligible bowlers you would choose to join you on your ideal pair of companion teams at the Open Championships: The nine we have now: Steve Fehr, Ken Jessee, Jon Murph, George Gohagan, Marc Massie, Tony Disanto, Ray Rudisell, Jimmy Levendosky and Ryan Barnett

TEN seconds or less, who is your favorite bowler of all-time?: Mark Roth. I loved the way he bowled and we have the same birthday!

ELEVEN strikes in a row to start a game at the Open Championships, what's going through your head?: Move a touch left and be aggressive

TWELVE years from now, where do you hope to be in your bowling career?: Receiving my 25th year plaque and having my name announced in the locker room as a past champion.