PDA

View Full Version : swine flu, it's here

Jord_84
05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I just got a call from the principal of my son's school, and our school district is closing because of a probable but unconfirmed case of swine flu. The good news is that the kids don't have to make up the days at the end of the year because the closures were initiated by the federal government.

I live in a fairly small town, now that it's here....I imagine it won't take too long before it's everywhere.

JerseyJim
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
There have been probable cases popping up in a lot of places. Hopefully it's not like 1976. That was a huge panic over something not that bad.

Jord_84
05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a feeling that this case is very similar. Swine flu hasn't proved to have a high fatality rate. The word pandemic means widespread, a disease doesn't have to be deadly to be a pandemic.

If there are fatalities, most likely children and the elderly will be the majority of those victims. I have to worry to some extent just because I have children, but I'm not going to go into mass hysteria mode and cut them off from the outside world to protect them.

People just hear the word pandemic and panic. Most likely this will amount to nothing.
I'm just slightly in a state of shock that the entire school district is shut down. This is the first time I've encountered something like this in my lifetime.

Graaille
05-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I thought pandemic meant a disease that only affected pandas.....:confused:

(runs away and hides):D

mrbill
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
There have been way more deaths concerning the regular Flu by far in the last year.
I would not worry till the swine flu gets even half those numbers.

dpmusic70
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I had the flu once and ever since I have been getting the shot. I never want to experience that again. :( I also had pneumonia last year and that was the worst! Me and Kev got that shot this year too.

kev3inp
05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but I got the flu anyway. They've been saying this one's unusual because so many young adults have been admitted to hospitals. They expect the kids and the elderly, but those numbers haven't really gone up.

Jord_84
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I've never believed in flu shots. The influenza virus mutates rapidly. Just because you're vaccinated for one strain doesn't protect you...chances are you'll catch a different strain and fall ill.

mikeyyy44805
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
they are making way to big of a deal out of this!! Ughhhhh

mike121
06-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Every where is swine flu. No treatment of this disease. Only protection is treatment .
If you have any doubt of this disease then checkup proper and take antibiotic.

kev3inp
06-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Every where is swine flu. No treatment of this disease. Only protection is treatment .
If you have any doubt of this disease then checkup proper and take antibiotic.

I think we may have another. And since the flu is a VIRUS antibiotics are uselesss. The vaccinations do more than a single strain, but they can't cover every one.

branstew
06-17-2009, 05:29 AM
At the weekend there was the first death here in the uk but as you say there was also other reasons, I think it just like any type of flu.