PDA

View Full Version : Bridge

jaws1945
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
What effect if any, does the bridge gap between the fingers have with the delivery of the ball?

Graaille
05-07-2009, 12:51 AM
I can put out a couple of theories - but that's all they are -- just theories.

1. Stability when the thumb comes out and all the weight transfers to the fingers. A wider bridge should allow for a more stable split second on the fingers - so possibly more leverage.

2. Longer lifespan on the ball before fingerholes/bridge starts to crack.

jaws1945
05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I have had the bridge crack on me a few times.

JaxBowlingGuy
05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
If the bridge is cracking then the 1st thing to look at is, did the driller bevel the finger holes. If not then the sharp edge tends to crack easily. A bridge is usually around 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Some people have different sizes that they are comfortable drilling. To my knowledge there really is not any porformance gain or loss from different length bridges.

jaws1945
05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the input. This brings up another question. I have seen some drilling patterns where the ring finger is significantly shorter in span. Reasons for this?

JaxBowlingGuy
05-10-2009, 03:20 PM
some people use finger tips for middle finger and a convention finger hole for the ring... i think its Fagan on the tour that used that...

Graaille
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Yah, it's called a Sarge Ester grip. Fagan and Robert Smith are the main ones that I've seen use it on their stuff, but Nick Smith (aka brunsnick) on the regional tour uses it as well.

According to Max. Bob, it allows him to stay behind the ball more and not overturn it (which allows him to control the ball with the sick amout of revs he puts on the ball).

I remember Nick saying that the main reason he uses it was due to a tendon injury he suffered which doesn't allow his ring finger to use a true fingertip grip.