PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on my arm swing.

dpmusic70
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I have been having problems keeping my arm straight and it seems to be going to the left. Kevin told me to aim my elbow at my target. Does anyone else have any advice for me. I am right handed. Thanks.

MH1313
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I have been having problems keeping my arm straight and it seems to be going to the left. Kevin told me to aim my elbow at my target. Does anyone else have any advice for me. I am right handed. Thanks.

just since I'm a little slow, "left" means behind you?

when I had this problem in the past, slow down and focus on keeping your torso square to the lanes. By slowing down you should avoid any extra movements, and by keeping your body straight/square your arm should go through its natural swing...

The should isn't really designed to move that direction, so if you can keep your body square that should stop it.

hope this helps some...

kev3inp
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Not really aim, but point the elbow toward the target. I think part is she goes wide on the backswing and her arm has no choice but to go left. I'm not sure how to stop that. Must be why I'm not such a good coach. I think I know what needs to be done, but not how to get there.

It's a big tug to the left as she releases the ball and her arm comes across her face, rather than straight up. Funny, I'm typing in and there's a response. Cool.

bowl1820
05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Heres a trick from Kegel to help you keep from pulling shot's.
One of the best ways is to keep the trailing arm back, but even with your shoulders.
To do this have the thumb of your non bowling hand turned down and slightly pointed toward the approach behind you.
This will help lock your arm and keep your shoulder from rotating and help keep your balance in check.

If the ball is going to your right in the back swing. Then your holding the ball too much in front of your body in your starting stance. This would cause you to pull to the left. Make sure you hold the ball so its in front of your shoulder, this will let it swing straighter back and forward.

dpmusic70
05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks bowl1820 for the advice. I'll give it a try the next time we bowl. I'm also working on releasing the ball at the right time. Kevin says that sometimes I'm too late.

Jord_84
05-12-2009, 08:15 AM
my high school coaches had a good trick for this.
swing your arm back and forth, like a pendulum, for 5 minutes.

It looks stupid, but it works. My guess is that it has something to do with muscle memory....swinging your arm straight back and forth for that long...reminds your arm of how a good swing feels? We never understood why the coaches made us do that....we thought it was a form of punishment because we all thought we looked stupid. But it really did work.

I still do that anytime I feel like I'm bringing my arm behind me.

Jord_84
05-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Heres a trick from Kegel to help you keep from pulling shot's.
One of the best ways is to keep the trailing arm back, but even with your shoulders.
To do this have the thumb of your non bowling hand turned down and slightly pointed toward the approach behind you.
This will help lock your arm and keep your shoulder from rotating and help keep your balance in check.

Thanks for that tip. I had some trouble at bowling tonight and tested that tidbit out. Worked like a charm for me.

Coach 3G
05-14-2009, 01:54 AM
The arm swing direction is all keyed from where you start in your stance. Make sure the ball is directly in front of your bowling shoulder in your stance and make sure on your pushaway that the ball goes straight ahead not to the left as the further you go left the farther out your ball will be on the backswing, thus forcing the ball inward on the downswing (hope that makes sense).

If you can get a camera on your back or have someone watch you they can usually spot whether the ball is coming straight back on the backswing, or if it is drifting out of the groove.

Also you can try purposefully pushing the ball to the right, then to the left, and then straight forward to see if you can feel the difference. I occasionally practice this just so I know the feeling and if I do it in competition I can quickly go 'hey that didn't feel right' and get myself back in line.

dpmusic70
05-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks everybody for all the advice. I'll give them all a try and see what works for me.

tbrownie
05-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Try Fred Bordens towel under the arm trick. You should be able to bowl a regular shot and keep the towel under your arm. I dont like it personally, but who am i to argue with perhaps the greatest coach ever...