PDA

View Full Version : Full Roller

CWULFF
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
What is meant by the term full roller. I've seen it used quite a bit but have never seen it explained.
Thanks for your help.

bowl1820
05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
The 'Full Roller' is where the ball tracks between the finger and thumb holes.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/BallRoll.jpg

jmainville
05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
very good explination and love the photo

unklmoe
05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
How can I change from this to a "Normal" bowler. Often I hear the ball bouncing over my thumb hole......HELP!!!

jmainville
05-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I would recomend starting of keeping it as simple as possible. Hold yourhand through your entire approach the way you would want to release it. I hold my thumb at 10 o'clock through my whole release when I want to get back to basics. helps me make a little more side roll. hope this helps

unklmoe
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
thanks joe....I'll try this approach....

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 09:54 AM
How can I change from this to a "Normal" bowler. Often I hear the ball bouncing over my thumb hole......HELP!!!

Essentially it comes down to not getting the hand over to the side of the ball at the right time or enough.
Also if you thumb isnt coming out of the ball first this can cause you to launch the ball more.

Not sure how you release but the rule of thumb essentially is:

Have your fingers that are in the holes, at 6 oclock(picture clock face).
Keep them there all the way through your backswing and when coming back forward until right before your release the ball. At about the time you come to where your ankle is turn your hand counterclockwise(left if you are a righty) causing the fingers to come up on the right side of the ball(now they will be at 3 Oclock).

make sure you stop there, dont overturn, and keep your hand coming up and through the release and on up to the side of your head. So your hand will end up by your right ear.

Make sure you follow through. This should give you enough revs.

Couple of other notes:

If the ball if going too straight. Try aiming about three inches closer to you from your normal target. So if you aim at the second arrow. Just aim three inches in front of it. If it hooks too soon, do the opposite.

Last note: Cupping the wrist a bit in conjunction with the technique above and keeping the wrist cupped until release will also impart more side spin on the ball.

One way i taught myself not to overturn in the beginning was placing a piece white tape on the back of my right hand. If i saw the tape i knew i turned my hand over too much.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
What is meant by the term full roller. I've seen it used quite a bit but have never seen it explained.
Thanks for your help.

For the most part you are coming up the back of the ball and not getting your finger to the side of the ball enough therefore you are causing more forward spin on the ball then side spin and hence the track of oil you see as mentioned in the picture lines up more along where your thumb hole is rather than to the side of it.

Also if you are grabbing the ball, not letting the thumb be loose and come out first then this can cause this as well.