PDA

View Full Version : Williams to represent Team USA at World Cup

onefrombills
05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
At this point in his career, there aren't many bowling experiences that are new to Team USA member Walter Ray Williams Jr., but when he competes in the QubicaAMF World Cup this November, he will take aim at a title he's never had a chance to win in the past.

Williams was recently selected to represent the United States in the World Cup, which will take place Nov. 14-21 in Melaka, Malaysia. It marks the first time a professional bowler has represented Team USA in the event.

"I'm definitely honored that I've been selected to bowl, and I hope that I can perform up to my abilities," said Williams, who owns 45 Professional Bowlers Association titles, more than anyone in history. "It would have been nice to do it 15 years ago when I was at the top of my game, but I'm definitely looking forward to going to Malaysia to represent Team USA."

The World Cup brings together more countries than any other tournament on the calendar, and each country sends its best male and female individuals to compete.

"It's a cherished event in the world of bowling, and he's never had an opportunity to go and play there," Team USA head coach Jeri Edwards said. "Walter Ray definitely deserves a chance to go and give it a shot and play with the world's greatest players. He's played everything else, so it's nice that he can go and play something new."

Williams' selection was announced by Edwards at the conclusion of the Team USA men's training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., last week.

Also announced was the Team USA men's roster for the Pan American Bowling Confederation Championships, which will be contested Sept. 20-27 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones, Patrick Allen, Bill O'Neill, David Haynes and Cassidy Schaub were selected to compete.

Tim Pfeifer and John Szczerbinski will represent Team USA in the Tournament of Americas from Aug. 9-15 in Orlando, Fla., while Barnes will also compete in the World Games from July 20-22 in Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei, a selection that had been previously announced.

The Team USA women's assignments will be announced following their training camp, which concludes June 5. In addition to selections to join their male counterparts, the six bowlers who will compete in the 2009 WTBA World Women's Championships scheduled for July 27-Aug. 3 in Las Vegas will be announced.