PDA

View Full Version : Jack Mordini to retire from USBC at end of 2009

onefrombills
05-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Jack Mordini to retire from USBC at end of 2009

5/12/2009

By Mark Miller
USBC Communications

Jack Mordini, who has worked for the United States Bowling Congress and one of its predecessor organizations the American Bowling Congress for nearly four decades, will retire from USBC at the end of 2009.

The Milwaukee native will serve as a special projects coordinator reporting to Chief Operating Officer Kevin Dornberger until then. He previously was USBC's vice president of tournaments and events.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my 39-plus years in the bowling industry," Mordini said. "I've met great people and I've worked with great people.

"There are a lot of good things on the horizon for USBC. There are a lot of new talented people on the staff to help move the organization and sport forward."

In his role as special projects coordinator, Mordini will work to transition the tournament operations including the bid process on future USBC Open and Women's Championships. He also will continue working to facilitate the construction of a new bowling arena in Osceola County, Fla., and lead the effort to sell USBC's previous headquarters building in Greendale, Wis.

"I've had the pleasure to know and work with Jack since my days on the ABC Board of Directors," said USBC Chief Executive Officer Kevin Dornberger. "He's been a tremendous asset to our organizations and the industry and he's going to be missed. I'm glad he'll be here in the coming months to help us with some major projects."

Mordini joined ABC on Oct. 19, 1970 shortly after graduating from the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse where he starred on the school's bowling team. He worked in membership services until 1973 when he became testing and research department assistant manager. That same year, he also assumed the role of ABC National Senior Tournament Manager.

In August 1977, Mordini transferred to the rules department, becoming manager in 1980. He then became rules/tournament sanctions department manager in 1985. He was named Group Executive-Technical in 1989 and assistant executive director in 1997. He joined USBC as a vice president when it formed in 2005.

"I've had many jobs but most enjoyed overseeing the tournament operations," Mordini said.
"I'm very proud of the fact we grew the ABC Tournament in entries, profits and subsidies. We also introduced things such as brackets, sponsorships and bidding for the tournament installation. And from 1995 to 2005, there was no increase in the expense fee."