PDA

View Full Version : Spare System

Coach 3G
05-14-2009, 01:40 AM
How many of you use a spare system? If so what does it look like?

kev3inp
05-14-2009, 05:17 AM
It's kind of a variation on the Rolf Gauger one that was in BTM a while back. Pick a spot and see what arrow or board the ball crosses to hit the pin you're aiming at, then make 2 or 3 board adjustments to hit other pins on the same side. Cross lane and do the same thing for pins on the other side.

bowl1820
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
I use what I call the "Walter Ray" system, A guy was talking about it in another forum one time so I gave it a try.
Basically it was once you have your starting position, pick one spot on the left to shoot all right side spares, one on the right to shoot all left side spares.

Heres what WRW said

Walter Ray-
"I have my own method for shooting spares. I like to shoot my right side spares from the same starting spot on the left side of the lane and adjusting my target depending on the spare. Likewise I shoot my left side spares from the same starting spot on the right side of the lane and adjust my target accordingly. I will adjust my target for 10 pins depending on the approaches."

MH1313
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
wow, the Walter Ray system is what I do...I've never heard him talk about it before, yet its what I do...that makes me feel good about myself...not gonna lie ;)

It works great for me...

kev3inp
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I do stand on the same spots on the left or the right side of the lane, and change my target on the lane. I didn't know it had a name, I just kind of worked it out myself from the Gauger article.

dougb
05-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I use a different system for right side spares than left. I don't remember where I read about the 3-6-9 system, but it works for me.

On left side spares I throw my strike ball (I'm a righty). Using the 3-6-9 system means for every pin left of the headpin I'm shooting for I move three boards right for my starting position and keep the same target on the lane.

For right side spares, I use a plastic ball and aim for the third arrow. I change my starting position, again using 3-6-9. For the ten pin, I stand on the 35 board. For the 9, I move 3 boards right, and so on.

I'm not doing a good job explaining it, but it works!

bowl1820
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Here's the chart for 3-6-9 system

Click here for chart (http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/sparechart.jpg)

kev3inp
05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
3-6-9 The goose drank wine... Every time I see that it just jumps into my head.

onefrombills
05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Here's the chart for 3-6-9 system

Click here for chart (http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/sparechart.jpg)

I too use the 3-6-9 rule

on my 10 pin I stand on 32 and hit 18

Strike Domination
05-16-2009, 01:49 AM
For those that throw straight at your left side spares for right handers(opposite for left handers), how far to the right of your target do you stand? I've kind of found that the less angle you use the easier it is to hit your target because you don't have to close up as much. I like to use board 25 as my target(third arrow from the left) and move my feet depending on the spare. Just curious what others do.

Coach 3G
05-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Anyone using the 3-6-9 system ever have to adjust the system? I find that sometimes, especially on a typical house shot that the pool of oil in the middle can make the adjustments a little bigger (especially when moving your feet right), say to like 4-8-12?

MH1313
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Anyone using the 3-6-9 system ever have to adjust the system? I find that sometimes, especially on a typical house shot that the pool of oil in the middle can make the adjustments a little bigger (especially when moving your feet right), say to like 4-8-12?

I used to use the 3-6-9 system, but found that I was having to constantly modify it. My warmup time used to be focused entirely on figuring out my spare system for the match. Which is why now I utilize the technique W R uses. It came about from my own frustration and observations...I have since become very good at throwing a flat ball by "breaking my wrist" so spares don't concern me anymore...

bowl1820
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM

I try to stand on the same marks all the time on my spares (the W.R.Spare method), one less thing to think about there. but I'll make a adjustments depending on how I'm bowling that night, for my marks. Say I got a case of the tugs, I'll adjust my marks some to compensate. But not really because conditions once I'm set.

I'm assuming your righthanded, so I'm guessing you swing the ball some trying to hook into the pins (or throwing a really fast ball), it hits the oil and was missing to the right, so you moved right to compensate.(4-8-12 which would move you farther right, than the 3-6-9 would)

Most spare systems are based on throwing a straight or small arcing shot. Which will take the lane conditions out of the equation more. So you wouldn't have to make a big adjustment for the oil on spares.

Though that's not to say a individual bowler shouldn't make a adjustment for their personal style, like lay down point etc.

But if someone is having to make big or a lot of adjustments to compensate for the lane conditions on spares. Then they may be trying too much to hook/swing the ball into the pins.

About the only time you might want to "hook" a ball into a spare is on multi-pin leaves, but most times a straight or slightly arcing ball will do.

andrukit
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I got frustrated using different systems similar to WRW or the 3-6-9 I always had issues consistency-wise.
I experimented with aiming for the pins or around boards down at 40-43 feet, whadayasay, i found out I was more consistent in sparing than aiming near the foul line.
I also realized that I had a dominant eye but not sure which one because all my shots are always on the right of the target about 3 boards so I just have to adjust accordingly.
Now, I don't have to bother much with which board I should stand except when the spares are 7 or 10 pin.
Aiming for the far boards have become my strike shot routine now as well, after a shot, I just take note if the ball was thrown from near my ankle, where my left foot stands, if the ball has a nudge on the heads or smoot, if the ball hits my break point or the board I'm targeting down the lane. When there are no markers down the lane, I just use the pins as targets all the time.

Try it out it might help some of you, I never felt so much better in bowling