PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do the one step drill?

Graaille
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I practiced it for the first time today. Learned a few things right away.

1. I don't slide worth a crap. 12-18 inches at the most.
2. I put the ball in the left gutter 12 out of 20 shots. Only one time did I get the ball to the right of the headpin.
3. It's flippin hard to do the exercise and not feel completely off kilter the first day of practicing it.
4. After that one game of doing nothing but one step drills, playing the last game was strange because I started sending everything right of target.

Discuss.

No Open Tenths
05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I do them as part of my practice routine. What I have found is if I really concentrate on getting a good deep knee bend on my pushoff leg I seem to have more success with them. Also really got to focus on a pendelum(sp?) arm swing. I was told at one point not to worry about where the ball goes, but have gotten to where I can hit my mark pretty consistently doing it.

kev3inp
05-16-2009, 06:47 AM
It really makes me concentrate on my swing. I first saw Tony Reyes do it on one of those skills things and thought it looked interesting, so I started doing it. I get no speed that way so when it hits the dry it hooks like mad. And you really know when you're off balance, too.

dougb
05-16-2009, 09:43 AM
My coach had me do one-step for months (for a few minutes at the beginning of every practice) to get my arm swing and release down.

Without it, I'm not sure I would've learned what a proper release felt like. Also helped me focus on those things without having to worry about timing.

mikeyyy44805
05-16-2009, 04:11 PM
what exactly is the "one step drill?"

onefrombills
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Tony Reyes is a stud at this !!!!!

onefrombills
05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
what exactly is the "one step drill?"

Its when you are 1 step away from the foul line and you swing the ball back and than take 1 step and throw the ball

Graaille
05-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Tony Reyes is a stud at this !!!!!

Yeah, I remember on that skills challenge that they said that during his time in college, he would spend entire days doing nothing but the one step drill to make sure his swing and fundamentals were solid.

onefrombills
05-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I remember on that skills challenge that they said that during his time in college, he would spend entire days doing nothing but the one step drill to make sure his swing and fundamentals were solid.

That is correct !!

I think it was San Jose State ?

Graaille
05-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Yep San Jose State. I think he's also the bowling coach there now, but I'm not going to wager money on my memory of that fact.

onefrombills
05-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep San Jose State. I think he's also the bowling coach there now, but I'm not going to wager money on my memory of that fact.

I think ya right that he is in town like Mike Haugen Jr is for ASU

tbrownie
05-18-2009, 12:32 AM
its pointless in my mind. it doesnt show you anything, it just gets you out of your normal tempo and groove.. my friend shot 258 in a game that he was bowling against me doing it though lol

MH1313
05-18-2009, 10:22 AM
its pointless in my mind. it doesnt show you anything, it just gets you out of your normal tempo and groove.. my friend shot 258 in a game that he was bowling against me doing it though lol

I couldn't disagree more! breaking parts of your game down to the fundamentals is a great way to work through a problem. I recommended this drill to a friend who was having problems with his timing. After a game of the 1-step drill, his timing was almost flawless. He went from a 498 that week to a 696 the following week on the same lane conditions...just my experience, but it does work for some.

I also think its a great idea to work with different approaches and lines. I've bowled in conditions where I need to slow down more than I can with a 5-step approach, so I'll drop to a 4 step. If I need to slow down more I'll go to a 3-step. Having thought out all scenarios and practicing them is the only way to be prepared for what you may come up against.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I do this whenever i get a new ball drilled up. First six shots. Just to get a feel and get my release down. No matter what no two balls are every identical even drilled by same person at same time.

mrbill
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I want to try this, is there any videos where I can see it done?:confused:

Jord_84
05-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I tried out this drill a few weeks ago before the start of my summer league, and it's done wonders getting my swing and release back on track.

tbrownie
05-29-2009, 03:44 AM
I want to try this, is there any videos where I can see it done?:confused:

Heres a Video of Robert Smith doing a one step drill.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1njCoR2zs&feature=related

mrbill
05-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks tbrownie, Now I know What to do. I was lookin on you tube for somthing yesterday but i did not find it:(
Now I just have to pratice>>..

tbrownie
05-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks tbrownie, Now I know What to do. I was lookin on you tube for somthing yesterday but i did not find it:(
Now I just have to pratice>>..

no problem, i love to help :)

Motiv Girl
10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I think that these two links can show the foul line drill and the on step drill better than most of us
can explain.http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=33
http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=16&Itemid=50

Iceman
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
This is a great thing to do - timing, release points are vital to success. My coach ALWAYS has me do this for 10 minutes before he watches me bowl to work out things I go to him with. He won't even look at me until I do this. It does 2 things for me - gets my timing and release points under control. That's why I work in my basement but I don't do the 1 step at night, wakes up the house. lol Next house will have 1 lane in basement - as long as wife is not around when basement is being finished. lol

djbigsmooth
10-12-2009, 04:37 AM

this exercise is a lesson of the proper stance in the release position. the better your stance, balence, and pendulum swing are, the more accurate you become. it also helps you to focus on your target line, follow through, thus improving leverage and power.