PDA

View Full Version : Muscling arm swing

Ashton540
05-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey all, I'm new here and have been bowling seriously for a little over a year and I have acceled pretty well in my opinion. My average is nearing 200 as I have upped my avg from 140 in a summer league I did last year up to a 192 in the budweiser classic and industrial leagues that we just completed. I'm very pleased with my progress, especially with no coaching. However, my arm swing is what I'm focusing on right now as I feel like I'm muscling my arm swing. I want to increase it while also reducing the strain on the arm and wrist. It almost feels like my wrist is not strong enough to hold onto the ball with a cupped wrist form. Which I find hard to believe considering I'm not a small guy by any means and I see womesn with higher arm swings than me. So needlesss to say that sometimes I am a bit inconsistant hitting my spots cause I'm not relaxed in my arm swing. I want to bring it back further also to increase my speed in the ball with out over exerting myself. I sometimes will out rev my ball speed which is sometimes a problem and causes me to crash the head pin. Any tips or exercises that I could do on or off the lanes to help me with this? I will even consider a coach if anyone knows of one that is close to morgantown west virginia. (about an hr and ten min form pittsburgh) Thanks guys.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Well i had the same issue. First thing and im sure you are ok here is make sure your ball thumb pitch is correct so you aren't "grabbing" on the thumb hole. Also just make sure you arent grabbing it anyhow. If you are you could be muscling to overcompensate and get the ball to the release point before it feels like it is sliding off thumb too soon. A little thumb tape can help in that area as well. Feels more secure, less likely to want to grab, and freer release.

how high is your backswing? I ask because if your backswing is high and your ball drop position when you start is low then you are muscling it back to get it that high to begin with instead of allowing the ball to swing freely pendulum style.

A rather elementary approach to fix this is start your ball off higher, it will fall further and into the swing faster and come back faster without muscling.

sorry, without seeing it's hard to know what you are doing so i just thought i would give you some insight into what was gett me.

Also if you are starting too close to foul line you are slowing down your release and you may be overcompensating.