PDA

View Full Version : midnight bowling

jmainville
05-18-2009, 11:34 AM
My wife and I and a couple of friends decided it might be fun to go to a rock and bowl saturday night. We went to the alley and it was all lit up in black lights which was very different. we got put next to a bunch of kids and their parents, the kids were out of control. They were sliding down the lanes, throwing balls overhand, spining around and throwing the ball. All the time their parents are watching them laughing. The father owned his own equipment which tells me he know a little about the sport and some lane courtesy. I guess during these events its not frowned upon. I was shocked that the managers on duty did not mind the abuse of equipment either. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud but I ran a alley for 7 years and during our rock n bowls I would never allow that kind of disrespect. not only to the equipmnet but to the other bowlers trying to enjoy themselves. all in all it was enjoyable when they left and still managed to throw a 623. I dont think i'll be going back to a rock n bowl for a while, but I guess it helps the mental game and consentration. I dont know if anyone else has encountred this before. I always try to teach the respect of our great game. whats eveyone elses thoughts? thank you for allowing me to rant...

MH1313
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I see this constantly at what you are calling rock and bowl...the kids are all hopped up on sugar and caffeine, then their parents let them run free...Unfortunately it seems to be a fact of life, the managers and lane jockies at my home center ask the people to stop, but it occurs without exception.

Its nice to hear you are teaching respect at the lanes...some people just dont' realize how their actions can effect those around them, its ignorance if you ask me more than disrespect.

Jord_84
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
We do the neon bowl every Fri. and Sat. night at our center. Rule #1 has been and always will be....you abuse the equipment, you're out. I'm surprised the center you were at tolerated that kind of abuse.....those unruly teenagers and some of the crap they pull gets expensive after a while.

jmainville
05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
when I ran the center it was the same thing. I would give 1 warning and if that didnt work, see ya later. We were bowling right in front of the counter witht the managers watching everythng. How could they not do something.

janbolen
05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
We have extreme bowling with black lights.. I went one time with my brother and his kids and my son and some others.. Our kids we have taught lane courtesy.. My son is only 4 and knows not to go in the pits while someone is bowling. He sits at the table.. But kids older than him haven't been taught.. I didn't really like Extreme bowling because of the lack of respect.. A group beside of us were throwing the balls into the pin sweep. We told on them and they got kicked out.. The center I ball at don't put up with stuff like that.. If I bowl open bowling I like to go on Sunday, no one is hardly there, and it's more relaxing..
But I totally get what your saying about Midnight bowling..

kev3inp
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm with you all. It doesn't just happen on rock n' bowl, or cosmic, or "lightning strikes," it's pretty much anytime there's open bowling here. If we run across kids and their parents who have taught lane courtesy we go out of our way to compliment them and tell them how much we appreciate it. We do it even if we're not bowling and spot it. You can explain it to some parents who don't know it and they'll cooperate. Others just have a 'tude, and we ask to be moved. Or our money back. That's what gets the center's attention.

Strike Domination
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Drunk people are what I have to deal with at rock'n bowl mostly. Other than that, just teenagers that don't have lane courtesy.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I hate the neon bowling and avoid it at all cost. I mean essentially to me its not real bowling at all.
Two, the aformentioned reasons are more than enough for me not to go.
Unfortunately ive had the same experience during regular bowling where parents do not teach their children courtesy or respect for the game. It drives me nuts.

I mean the last time which was a week ago, i had this family that were overly joyous at watching their two year old roll the ball down the childrens bowling aparatus.
I dont mind that. But seriously the entire family had to stand around the approach every time and often my wife and i had to ask them to please move over because they were in our approach lane. It was awful.

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Also I go to midnight bowling every week mainly just so there is no pressure for scoring while I bowl. Essentially with just me and my wife and maybe one or two other friends..We easily get 4 to 8 games in. I try to avoid the scum who frequent the lanes and I agree its mostly the younger teens who don't know how to be courteous to other bowlers. Im 24 and I only started when I was 23 but common sense picks up immediately to be kind and courteous to my fellow bowlers.

lefty
06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
yup, it's the same way at our place of bowling. That's the only way i bowl though is on Saturday night, so i guess i'm used to it.

Jamski
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I tend to give families with kids a little leeway, because I want them to have the same kind of fun I did when I was young (and didn't have bumpers, ha ha!) and besides, I enjoy watching them. Maybe I'm lucky, our center knows the folks who come in for "serious" practice and will generally keep them away from the casual bowlers and families, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Oh. And I abhor "Cosmic" bowling. Never mind that I can't see anything in black light...the music is usually way too obnoxious (yes, I know, if it's too loud, you're too old, I've heard it before... :p)