PDA

View Full Version : 2009-2010 Change in Format

JAnderson
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
For those who may not know, the PBA will be hosting the World Series of Bowling (http://www.pba.com/worldseries/) this coming 2009-2010 season. Basically, this is a format change to help the PBA save on the costs of moving the tournament from location to location and paying for the setup and breakdown of the entire tournament for the first seven events of the season.

From a cost perspective, it's a sound business decision. Hopefully, it will help the PBA be a little bit more profitable and allow the PBA to put a little more prize money in the bowlers' pockets.

From a fan perspective, it's great if you live in Michigan (where the events will be hosted) and really sucks if you live anywhere else.

The bowlers will be able to win more money in a shorter period of time, work more on their non-bowling income, and probably save on some traveling costs. However, the tournaments will be hosted in only two centers: Taylor Lanes in Taylor, Michigan and Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, Michigan. The bowlers that match up well to the surface in those two centers will definitely have an advantage.

It seriously tempts me to take two weeks off work to visit Michigan to watch the big boys play.

Anyone see any other pros/cons to this change in format?

kev3inp
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
It will be hard for the news of who won what to remain secret, thereby spoiling the tape delayed shows for the rest of their hardcore audience. Like me.

Good for them, saving their costs. Bad for the rest of us. For example, if a bowler you don't like at all wins, will you still watch the show? I may not.

kakcpa
05-18-2009, 11:10 PM
The world series is right in my back yard.....but I promise I won't tell!

NoTapNorm
05-19-2009, 06:22 AM
If the dates are released, I would be very tempted to attend! Its a mere 4 hours from the house!!

JAnderson
05-26-2009, 12:50 PM
The world series is right in my back yard.....but I promise I won't tell!

you

Kev - I generally won't watch a show if it is all lefties. You know me, I acknowledge the differences between lefities and righties, but I don't get into the righty versus lefty fighting and I don't think anything less of a person who throws either way. My complaint is simply camera angle. Even when the show is all lefties, they don't change the camera angle on the cameras shot from behind the bowlers, which makes it hard to see what the lefties are doing on the lane.

How much does it cost to move the cameras about 10 feet?

kev3inp
05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
you

Kev - I generally won't watch a show if it is all lefties. You know me, I acknowledge the differences between lefities and righties, but I don't get into the righty versus lefty fighting and I don't think anything less of a person who throws either way. My complaint is simply camera angle. Even when the show is all lefties, they don't change the camera angle on the cameras shot from behind the bowlers, which makes it hard to see what the lefties are doing on the lane.

How much does it cost to move the cameras about 10 feet?

I'm with you on that J, but as they're "like me" (yeah, sure) I can't tear myself away. Well, unless it's PA, anyway. I'm baffled as to their choice of camera angles as well. You can see the guy with the camera, he can't move over? Is it against the law? Would it cost so much to add a side camera like the one on the right side? If it's personnel, can't they get the guy on the right to move across to another camera set up on that side? But there we go trying to make sense of it all again. They don't seem to have that difficulty with poker or billiards, do they? I think it just shows where bowling ranks, in that, at best, the crew is class C talent.

Oh, and congrats on 100 posts. You always have something interesting to say, and I appreciate that.

bigern523
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
You guys sound as bad as me . I keep up with every tournament from qualifier on . PBA.com is my home page . lol. Does anyone else do the fantasy bowling on PBA's site .

JAnderson
06-03-2009, 04:28 PM
A big group of us formed a "private" league two years ago, but were disappointed with how very basic the interface and options were. That's didn't stop us from having fun with it though. When they introduced the "cards" we stopped, so we may have missed out on something.

onefrombills
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I would watch any and all shows....yes it sux if you already know the score of who won, BUT I still would like to watch the show to see where the other player missed or whatever that made him/her not win.....Playing the other side of the coin (I KNOW)