PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my bad habit..

janbolen
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I throw a backup ball.. Which I know a lot of women do.. I'm trying to break the habit.. I have a wrist support, but with it I still twist my wrist backwards.. It's driving me crazy.. What kind of wrist support can I get the will help me stop the bad habit.. I've done some research, but I don't seem to be finding any answers.. Thank for any help that you can give..

Graaille
05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think a different wrist support is going to be the answer. In fact, Joe Slowinski has an article about how a backup ball can actually be helpful... http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=204&Itemid=1

If nothing else, take what he says and apply it to what you do, only instead of rotating the wrist so that the ball has to come off the pointer finger, work on rotating the wrist so that it comes off the pinky. (I didn't see a mention if you're a righty or a lefty - so I left it generic.)

janbolen
05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm a lefty.. Thanks for the article..

kev3inp
05-19-2009, 05:10 AM
It should be easier to get it right as a lefty. You do the same motion with your hand as opening a door. My wife had a hard time with that, too. She's righty and at first we had her practice keeping her hand on the side of the ball so it couldn't go around the other way. It's going to take time and practice, but you can do it.

tbrownie
05-19-2009, 06:45 AM
make a concious effort to turn in the "correct" way. Kev said it well too, try keeping your hand on the side of the ball throughout the entire approach for a while and get a bit of a feel for it. the major thing to do is PRACTICE it. If your only bowling 3 games a week it will never get fixed. It takes a lot of work to correct things and maintain your game. Just got to make some time for it

janbolen
05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks As a lefty I want to take advantage of my side of the lane.. Because no one bowls on that side much.. We try and go practice on Sundays.. It's not making the time to practice it's having the money to practice.. But I am going to work on it as much as possible.. Like I told my husband if I was going to pay to do this I want to do it right.. And have FUN!! Thanks for the advice..:D

MH1313
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Jan,

Check with your local bowling center for summer bowling deals. My center has a deal where you pay $100.00 up front and you can use this "pass" for up to 250 games! So unless my math is horrible (which is may be) thats $0.40 a game! yeah it hurts up front, but if you can find time, its a great investment...

Jord_84
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM
The house I'm bowling at for my summer league does .99 cent per game for league bowlers in the months of June and July. Ask your center if they offer any incentives for their league bowlers...if they don't, suggest it.

Summer is a terrible time for bowling alleys...if they can bring in more business by offering $1 a game to their league bowlers, they might be receptive to the idea.

dpmusic70
05-19-2009, 11:47 AM
We found a center that was charging $2.00 and hour on Thursday's and Sunday's and $5.00 an hour the rest of the week. We haven't been there in a while but you can't beat those prices.

janbolen
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
We have a discount card that we use I think it's like $2.87 a game.. Which is a lot better than paying what other bowlers pay.. They do offer free games for league bowlers, they just haven't said when they are.. My luck it will be when I am working..
I'm sure they will have deals coming up soon.. It's just money is tight right now with us and we have to squeeze every dime we have, but I am sure everyone knows how that is, the way the economy is and all..
When we can we are going to go on Sunday and practice.. I like Sundays because no one is there, and plus our team mates practice on Sunday too.. And if we can we might go in the mornings on Saturday some.. Thanks for all the help.. This is a nice place to ask questions and everyone is so helpful and nice..

kev3inp
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Aww, shucks, ma'am, 'tain't nuthin' to hep out. ;) We're glad to have you. And the better your experience is, the better for all of us. Now go tell all your league members about what a great site this is. Except for that one jerk. ;) Bowling is fun and it should be fun. If I wanted to be miserable I'd learn to golf!

tbrownie
05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I pay 1.25 a game all year round :) and they have 99 cent game coupons alot too

branstew
05-20-2009, 08:06 AM
The center that I bowl out of charges £5.00 (uk) and for that you can bowl from 10:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday.

janbolen
05-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Well I have decide to stay a backup bowler.. One the coaches at the center, is going to take a look at the way I bowl tomorrow. To decide how my ball needs to be drilled.. I was told by one of my team mates that I hit the pocket very well bowling backup, and that is natural for me and that I should stay with it if that's what feel right for me.. And so did the coach so, okay. The guy that is going to give me a lesson tomorrow, is going to do it for free.. Which is very awesome of him.. I couldn't ask for a nicer person..

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks As a lefty I want to take advantage of my side of the lane.. Because no one bowls on that side much.. We try and go practice on Sundays.. It's not making the time to practice it's having the money to practice.. But I am going to work on it as much as possible.. Like I told my husband if I was going to pay to do this I want to do it right.. And have FUN!! Thanks for the advice..:D

Very smart to take advantage of that part of the lane. I would love if no one bowled on the right side!

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Well I have decide to stay a backup bowler.. One the coaches at the center, is going to take a look at the way I bowl tomorrow. To decide how my ball needs to be drilled.. I was told by one of my team mates that I hit the pocket very well bowling backup, and that is natural for me and that I should stay with it if that's what feel right for me.. And so did the coach so, okay. The guy that is going to give me a lesson tomorrow, is going to do it for free.. Which is very awesome of him.. I couldn't ask for a nicer person..

One thing to consider and please understand this in the spirit of trying to be helpful.
Most coaches and bowlers I know, one having been pro dont feel the back up ball is a viable option even if it is more comfortable at this time.

So if you can learn to switch your release now it may benefit you later, where as if you wait it may be even more difficult to change later.

My wife had the same issue. She essentially switched to a mild "suitcase" release to learn the difference.
Since you are lefty this would mean your thumb would be at roughly 2 oclock position and your fingers at roughly 8 and 7 oclock. Follow through the entire swing with your hand at that position. As this feels more comfortable you can alter it more to get more hook.

I always see one girl in leagues out here throw backup style. She's good at it. But like i said for the most part the three coaches, pro shop owners, and pro my wife and i know got her to change and now she's feeling more confident and consistent with her release.

Just a thought. Too each their own and by all means not everyone is the same!