PDA

View Full Version : I got the itch...again!

midtngator
05-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone, been out of the sport for 10 years. I was bowling 5 nights a week with a composite of 207 and quit cold turkey!

WELL my old equipment (balls, shoes and bags that is) have been calling me from the garage. I've really been out of touch with the game and I know the equipment has changed. Any advise from you is appreciated. I'm now 54 and I'm thinking I might drop to a 15lb ball.

JaxBowlingGuy
05-28-2009, 03:10 PM
ball speed??? rev rate??? house shot???

MH1313
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone, been out of the sport for 10 years. I was bowling 5 nights a week with a composite of 207 and quit cold turkey!

WELL my old equipment (balls, shoes and bags that is) have been calling me from the garage. I've really been out of touch with the game and I know the equipment has changed. Any advise from you is appreciated. I'm now 54 and I'm thinking I might drop to a 15lb ball.

simple answer...go throw your current equipment. See how it feels. If you don't think you can do it, make the change. If you can stay where you are at. 10yrs is a long time. I wouldn't get into new equipment till I had my whits about me again.

as for the 15lb equipment goes, it helps a lot with fatigue, but you won't see much difference down the lane.

welcome back!

JAnderson
05-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Today's cover stocks are strong enough that you won't see much difference (if any) between 15 and 16 pound equipment. When you add to that the strong, center-heavy cores, it's really a non-issue.

I agree with MH1313 - see if you can throw your old stuff and go from there. I'd also suggest having your span and pitches checked, a body can change quite a bit in 10 years. Also, if you're using soft rubber finger inserts, they probably need to be replaced.

midtngator
05-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Guess it's time to hit the lanes and see what happens.:)

mrbill
05-28-2009, 06:39 PM
welcome back to the bowling club midtngator. practice practice practice thats all i do hehe, I just got back after 20years a few months ago and I'm lovin it..

NoTapNorm
05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Welcome back!!! I just finished my first season after being out for 10 years. Use your previous equipment to get the swing and timing back, and maybe even have it refinished. A friend had his equipment refinished with about a month left in the season, and he said it was like brand new. Refinishing is a lot cheaper than purchasing new. If you still dont get the desired effect, then consult with the local pro shop.

Evilash71
05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I agree with the above, having span checked etc. 15lb is what i throw and it is fine. Coverstocks and such are different so maybe just read up a little bit on those to get an idea. Kind of depends on your bowling style, speed etc.

midtngator
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Getting my span checked is a must now I think. Looked at my equipment last night and had to laugh! Thumb inserts and old tape was rather nasty looking. Yep your right...couldn't resist putting my fingers in.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

kev3inp
05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
It's kind of funny how circumstances lead one away from bowling, then back into it. I was lost for 17 years, myself. Mice had colonized my bowling shoes. But a guy from work invited me out to bowl, and my love for the game came rushing back.

Can I get an AMEN? Do you feel the power?

There's just something magical about it. The smell of conditioner, the crash of the pins, the taste of the beer, the whole experience. Hallelujah, I've been saved!

Evilash71
05-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree with the "feeling." I had really stopped bowling except for the occasional night out for about fifteen or more years. I had spent a great deal of time as a kid and growing up around bowling alleys.

Then last year my sis bought me a chicago bears viz a ball as a gift, more so for the novelty and i had always mentioned wanting one. Well i went to get it drilled and while i was there in the pro shop i was thinking how much i missed all of this. I bought a copperhead that day too and next thing you know i was off and bowling about 5 times that week and pretty much havent slowed down since. Love it more than ever.

kev3inp
05-30-2009, 06:35 AM
I agree with the "feeling." I had really stopped bowling except for the occasional night out for about fifteen or more years. I had spent a great deal of time as a kid and growing up around bowling alleys.

Then last year my sis bought me a chicago bears viz a ball as a gift, more so for the novelty and i had always mentioned wanting one. Well i went to get it drilled and while i was there in the pro shop i was thinking how much i missed all of this. I bought a copperhead that day too and next thing you know i was off and bowling about 5 times that week and pretty much havent slowed down since. Love it more than ever.

Wait a second, you live in Texas and you're a Bears fan? What, no 'Boys, "America's team?" They try hard down here to convert me to being a Dolphins fan, but I fight them off in favor of my hometown team, da Bears. :D

NoTapNorm
05-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Amen brother!!!!
The center is my sanctuary

Jamski
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Gator, where do you bowl? We're from East Hickman...bowl in Dickson mainly, but Ebonite has a nice house in Columbia, with CATS, even!

midtngator
06-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Well, I finally did it! Man did it feel good to knock down some pins (even thought my knees are now telling me something a little different). I took your advise and cleaned up my old equipment and hit the lanes. My lovely bride also took the plunge with me. The 1st game I wasn't trying to hit anything, just getting loose (and it showed 96 to my wifes 158). She was concerned I might lose my temper...who me! Not to worry, 2nd game started with 2 10 pine misses, but hit the pocket, then 6 in a row...I LOVE THIS GAME. Ended with a 226 and now I really have the fever.

Thanks again for all the feedback.