PDA

View Full Version : Grip Pressure

Strike Domination
06-02-2009, 03:18 AM
I've heard a few different things about this subject and apparently there's more than one way to go about it. I've heard that you should not have to grip the ball, and that it should hang on to you. I've also heard that you need to apply some pressure, but the constant is that you should never bend your thumb. So with the latter method, which I've been taught personally, you just apply pressure more with the base and skinny part of your thumb.

While I think it would be nice not to have to grip the ball(and sort of scary at the same time), since I tend to have a lot of problems with my thumb rubbing in the hole and causing irritation/tenderness, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that someone could do that. I know basically nothing about physics, but the weight of the ball when you drop it in the swing seems like more than enough for it to fall off your hand. That is, unless maybe if you make the thumb hole tight, then I'd be worried about having a clean release.

If also been told a few times to relax my grip after the ball reaches the top of the swing. I was pretty sketchy about that at first but I tried it and had a clean release sometimes. Other times, I dropped the ball and got gutters. Either way, I'm wondering if this is something anyone else does. It seems logical in the sense that a relaxed hand will allow your to release the ball properly, given good ball fit, but it also seems like the ball should fall to the ground.

Please share YOUR thoughts.

Graaille
06-02-2009, 09:21 AM
From what I've been told/read/discussed/whatever.

The more pressure you have to apply with the tip/pad of the thumb, the less likely you are to have a clean release - and at least in my case - the more you tear up the back/sides of your thumb. The more snug you have the thumbhole, the more you can relax the thumb to have a cleaner release.

If I remember, I think it was Ron C who said that you want the thumbhole so tight that the ball won't come off if you grip it, but it will come off if you're thumb is completely relaxed. Counterintuative I know, but hear me out on this.

If you grip with your thumb, you're flexing the muscles inside it - making it bigger. If you're thumb is relaxed, it's as small as it can get. So when you're at the release point in your swing, intertia will pull the ball off of your thumb more consistantly than if you have to consciously/subconsciously release your thumb pressure due to gripping.

The caveat to this is that if you have it too tight, the thumbhole could seal/create a vacuum which goes back to having either a not clean release, or a potential Machuga moment. Ergo the use of tape/magic carpet/ventholes to releave the vacuum potential.

It's a balance that is constantly needing to be tweaked, because humidity, season of the year, whether your thumb swells or shrinks when you bowl, etc..... I've personally not found my best fit yet, but it's getting there.

bowl1820
06-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I've heard a few different things about this subject and apparently there's more than one way to go about it. I've heard that you should not have to grip the ball, and that it should hang on to you. I've also heard that you need to apply some pressure, but the constant is that you should never bend your thumb. So with the latter method, which I've been taught personally, you just apply pressure more with the base and skinny part of your thumb.

It's not that you don't grip a ball (meaning applying some pressure to hold it), it's that you don't squeeze it while gripping it. It's like when picking a egg up, you grip it with a nice even pressure. But if your squeezing it, the egg busts.

Yes you shouldn't bend your thumb (it's called knuckling), the thumb should be straight and lay flat in the hole. If you bend your thumb in the hole, your basically locking it on your thumb and it's not going to release clean.

Also if your " knuckling" you may need to check your pitches, there maybe to much reverse pitch or the thumb hole is too big.

I tend to have a lot of problems with my thumb rubbing in the hole and causing irritation/tenderness, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that someone could do that.

This sounds like a span and/or pitch problem, you may need to have your grip checked. A lot of bowlers have too much reverse pitch, which can make it hard to hang on to the ball and they wind up squeezing and knuckling the ball.

I know basically nothing about physics, but the weight of the ball when you drop it in the swing seems like more than enough for it to fall off your hand. That is, unless maybe if you make the thumb hole tight, then I'd be worried about having a clean release.

The thumb should be tight (Meaning snug) and if your keeping the thumb straight it will come out cleanly. I like it just big enough to put a piece of tape in.

If also been told a few times to relax my grip after the ball reaches the top of the swing. I was pretty sketchy about that at first but I tried it and had a clean release sometimes. Other times, I dropped the ball and got gutters. Either way, I'm wondering if this is something anyone else does. It seems logical in the sense that a relaxed hand will allow your to release the ball properly, given good ball fit, but it also seems like the ball should fall to the ground.

Yes your grip should be relaxed, but not so relaxed you drop or can't control the ball. It's hard to describe a feel.

Take a look at this Ron Clifton article it might explain a lot better.

Eliminate the Kung Fu Death Grip (http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/btm04_files/btm4.htm)

jaws1945
06-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree with the magic carpet. It has helped me avoid squeezing the ball, which has always been a bad habit of mine.

tbrownie
06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, this is just my experience here, but i used to have my thumb rub blisters and tear up all the time, but it finally built up a calus ...i butchered that spelling.... and now i dont have that problem at all.. I just recently tried Ron Cliftons Magic Carpet, and after three games it cut open my thumb from the friction, and the hole wasnt too tight, just the edge of the peice of tape was too sharp... If you email Ron he will send you two sample pieces for free.

You can find his email and info about the Magic Carpet here:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/magiccarpet/magiccarpet.htm

His email is at the very bottom of the page.

bowl1820
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, this is just my experience here, but i used to have my thumb rub blisters and tear up all the time, but it finally built up a calus ...i butchered that spelling.... and now i dont have that problem at all..

:eek:If that is happening to your thumb without the magic carpet. You need to get your grip checked.

Take a look at this web page at jayhawk-

Fit Problems with a list of possible explanations (http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html)

Here you can diagnose why you have a blisters/callus, they have pictures so easy to figure out.
Things like-
* Excessive Reverse Pitch
* Span Too Short or Too Long
* Hole Too Big

* Span Too Short or Too Long
* Hole Needs More Bevel
* Hole Too Big

bigern523
06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
If you have your pro shop guy put a big slug in an old ball . You can try different pitches in your thumb fairly cheaply . It can be changed by drilling it out and put a new solid slug in and drilling the new pitch . There are limits to the pitches you can try with this method , but it is the cheapest way to experiment . I did this a few years back . I actually tried 3 pitches in 1 afternoon .
If you are having your thumb Tearing open I suggest you find a new pitch .

playbowl
06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
SD

Believe it or not it is possible to have a ball "stick" to your hand while forcing your hand "open" without it not dropping off anywhere in your swing except at your ankle. (Revs go up). That is when you know it is drilled for your hand and you are throwing it correctly. In addition the calluses go away and it is nothing to roll 15 to 20 games.

A lot of research has gone into grip dynamics in the last 10 years with IBPSIA trying to standardize grip drilling. It does take some trial and error to get it right. When you talk to your driller again remember: Move pitch in the direction of the injury.
(eg. if the soreness is on the right side of your thumb - you need more right lateral pitch)

kev3inp
06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm a firm believer in magic carpet. It can take a little getting used to, but irritation comes mostly from knuckling the ball. You may swear you're not doing it, but after a while it's so ingrained you almost can't not do it. Like trying to unlearn to ride a bike. I have it in all my equipment and it cuts way down on my tape usage.

Strike Domination
06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I have indeed read all of Ron C's articles as well as the Jayhawk fitting tips. The thing about my rub/hang spot is I think it's not so much at the bottom of the hole, but more near the top. I've gone back on forth on span and pitch changes for a while now. I'm pretty sure my span is right now, I figured that out some time ago, it's pitches I've mainly been playing with for the better part of the past year. I'm trying to figure out the lateral pitch I should have in order to avoid both rubbing and hanging. It's like a catch 22, if I pitch more right I rub on the right side of my thumb(with it pointing up), if I pitch left the right side of my thumb hangs at the top of the hole. This is from 1/8 right to 1/8 left respectively. Lateral pitch of 0 might be best but there's still some hang there.

Hole shape could have something to do with it. My driller uses the bevel sander quite a bit after drilling. On a test ball I had him drill a more oval hole with limited use of the bevel sander. I tried 3/8 left first, which is when I first felt what it was like to hang at the top of the hole on the right side of my thumb. At 1/8 left it's not as bad but still there, also with a more oval hole. Now on the holes that are a little more round because he used the bevel sander quite a bit, there's 0 and 1/8 right. I still notice some hang in the same area, but at 1/8 right I'm rubbing really bad probably at the bottom of the hole. I hope this is not too confusing to understand what's been going on.

Now on the 1/8 left hole, I like that the best as far as feel goes. It's just the hanging I'm afraid of. Sometimes it'll hang, sometimes it won't. And it's not directly on the side of my thumb, it's a little bit toward the pad side. I even made a video of me putting my thumb in and out to illustrate it if you'd be interested in seeing that. I'm at 1/4 forward in my thumb right now, just recently went to it. I was at 1/8 forward for a while before that. My span is 4 1/4 and 4 1/8. I'm thinking if I snug the hole enough I may not need that much forward but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure how snug is too snug and all that, is there any test for that? Also could that much forward have anything to do with the hanging even though it's at the side/front of my thumb(I thought forward pitch would only hang on the back of the thumb)?

Sorry about going a little off-topic but it seems the root of my problem is partially bad ball fit so I'd like a little advice on that. Thanks to those who answered my question about how and when to apply grip pressure. It seems to agreement is that the ball should be fitted to stay on your hand with minimal grip pressure(like the egg anology) but it's best to completely relieve the pressure at least for the downswing?

mrbill
06-03-2009, 05:13 AM
In the beginning some months back when I started Bowling again I had release problems alot.
I was knuckling the ball and could not stop doing it on the spot.
That lead to the proshop drilling the thumb hole a tad big and thats what I have on record there now to this date.
At first I tryed to relax and not knuckel the ball but as I bowled and I wore out and tryed to get the ball out there OMG the ball woud Grip like a suction cup and i almost took out a ceiling tile or two, that was scary..
Then a kind bowler on an opposing team showed me how he was doing it with tape and gave me a pice. It worked great for many weeks and never stuck again, but.
As my thumb changed and got a callus I took the tape off to find I had a better grip, I found that the more i bowl my thumb and my style adapt. I'm still working on the Perfect release and I'm getting closer ever day

Strike Domination
06-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Also, playbowl, abouty the "open" hand thing. Is there something about doing that, that actually enhances your grip on the ball or is that just something you SHOULD be able to do, like as a test that your grip is good? I'm most comfortable keeping my thumb straight with part of the pad touching the front of the hole, not only so I can apply a bit of pressure there, but because I thinks it's possible for me to hang with my thumb all the way back. If I open my hand all the way so that the webbing at my thumb is stretched, the tip of my thumb bends back almost banana-like.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thoughts?

CWULFF
06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I too have a problem with knuckling the ball. I tried magic carpet and it cut my thumb real bad so i stopped using. A bowling coach said my thumb holes were too big and added a bunch of tape but i still knuckle the ball. maybe i should check my thumb pitch also.

Strike Domination
06-04-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't believe I knuckle the ball anymore. I think I just apply too much pressure in general and don't know when to relax. Plus it's hard to trust the ball will stay on my hand if I don't grip it enough. Setting the thumb, which basically pins it between the back of the hole and the bevel, makes it more secure though.

playbowl
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Also, playbowl, abouty the "open" hand thing. Is there something about doing that, that actually enhances your grip on the ball or is that just something you SHOULD be able to do, like as a test that your grip is good? I'm most comfortable keeping my thumb straight with part of the pad touching the front of the hole, not only so I can apply a bit of pressure there, but because I thinks it's possible for me to hang with my thumb all the way back. If I open my hand all the way so that the webbing at my thumb is stretched, the tip of my thumb bends back almost banana-like.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thoughts?

It isn't that it enhances the grip on the ball, the ball just fits. It is hard to descibe but I'll try. If you put your hand in the ball and let it hang by your side with your palm forward the ball should stay on your hand with no grip pressure. If you can "open" your hand so all the pressure in the holes is from your fingernails and the ball stays on your hand - it is drilled correctly for your hand and the thumb fit is correct. The ball will let you go at the ankle. The biomechanics of your hand are taken into consideration with the grip span and pitches as well as size and shape of holes.

If you ever heard someone say they "grabbed" the ball at the bottom of the swing they applied grip pressure instead of staying relaxed.(Usually a pulled shot) It is a hard concept to grasp but that is what modern bowling is about. With an open hand the time differential from when your thumb clears and your fingers clear goes up and so do the revs.
Try this next time you bowl. For a right handed bowler, if you pull the ball left of your target - add tape.
If you miss right of your target - remove tape (thumb is too tight)
If you have soreness after 10 games make a note of it and see your pro shop and fix it.
If you cannot bowl 10 games each day for 4 days without bleeding or skin ripped off your thumb you ball is not "fitted" correctly. After 40 games you will be fatigued which is normal but not bleeding.

Life is too short to be in pain when we are trying to bowl and have fun.

fbushstl
06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
to me u should have good feeling in both fingers and thumb

Strike Domination
06-05-2009, 05:41 PM
For what it's worth, I think I'll miss left when the hole is too tight as well. Like I said, I have 1/4" forward pitch in my thumb and i'm not sure if that's too much for my 4 1/4" and 4 1/8" span. I am indeed right handed. I can hold the ball at my side wth no pressure, and it stays on my hand if I open it. Opening the hand, at least the fingers, feels weird because my ring finger tends to slip out a little if I do that. In order to trust that the ball won't fall off my hand with no grip, I have to make the thumb hole pretty snug, is that normal? Is it okay to apply some pressure for the backswing but relax after it reaches the top? If not, what happens?

bigern523
06-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm one of those guys that likes a tight thumb hole . Now anyway . It stopped me from knuckling it years ago . One thing that I do to get out clean with no suction is I drill a air hole from just below the thumb to the very bottom of the hole . I have that in every ball I own . My driller Drills my thumb hole with twice . My thumb is pretty flat . What we do is drill it to the thin size . One hole One sixteenth off center to the left and one to the right . Then I do all the working of the hole myself . He is a good friend of mine so I get away with using his tools . What it does is make an oval hole witch is perfect for my flat thumb . If you look into it , Mark Roth also did this .It works for me .

playbowl
06-06-2009, 10:13 AM
For what it's worth, I think I'll miss left when the hole is too tight as well. Like I said, I have 1/4" forward pitch in my thumb and i'm not sure if that's too much for my 4 1/4" and 4 1/8" span. I am indeed right handed. I can hold the ball at my side wth no pressure, and it stays on my hand if I open it. Opening the hand, at least the fingers, feels weird because my ring finger tends to slip out a little if I do that. In order to trust that the ball won't fall off my hand with no grip, I have to make the thumb hole pretty snug, is that normal? Is it okay to apply some pressure for the backswing but relax after it reaches the top? If not, what happens?

If you have ever seen someone "palm" a basketball, that is what the pro shop is trying to get toward with the bowling ball having holes. There are no holes on the basketball and by stretching the fingers and thumb out (opening the hand)the natural tension in the players hand (and friction) allow the player to effortlessly hold onto the ball. (It helps to have big hands too.) You don't actually palm the bowling ball, it sits at the base if your index finger. When your pro shop operator evaluates your hand he/she interprets what is seen and converts the numbers to the equivalent direction (pitches) and sizes for the holes. How the pro shop operator interprets the numbers is what either creates difficulty with your grip or the ability to exit cleanly every time. Standardization is the goal of IBPSIA so that when you describe what you know about your grip to a pro shop operator they begin to assess the situation uniformly to correct any issues.

So, from what you described. the ball is not exiting clean off your hand. IMO, I would have drilled your thumb with anywhere from 1/16" forward (really flexible thumb joint) to 3/16" back (very stiff) so your pro shop is in the ball park. There are other factors, incuding experience level, that will add or subtract from that pitch. The ring finger slipping will either be from too big of a hole for the ring or too little tension. With the ring finger having "less" effect on the release the ball will tend to release left, slightly. Try moving the ring to 4 1/4. (assuming the span is correct). Thumb tightness. Sure. This is a personal thing that every bowler MUST know how to adjust on their own. That is why there is tape. As for the pressure in the backswing or at the top, I hope you are starting to understand how interrelated EVERY dimension is regarding your grip. Make an appointment to spend some serious time discussing your grip with the pro shop operator and work together toward the free relaxed armswing that you hear so much about.

bowl1820
06-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Something to go with the grip discussion.

Always get a copy of your grip sheet for your records. (with insert sizes if any and your PAP location)

This is good for when: the proshop loses your grip somehow, you go to a tournament and want a ball drilled up there, you move, you want to talk about it.

Of coarse a good proshop can copy the grip off the ball, but it doesn't hurt to have a hard copy.

bowl1820
06-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm one of those guys that likes a tight thumb hole . Now anyway . It stopped me from knuckling it years ago . One thing that I do to get out clean with no suction is I drill a air hole from just below the thumb to the very bottom of the hole . I have that in every ball I own . My driller Drills my thumb hole with twice . My thumb is pretty flat . What we do is drill it to the thin size . One hole One sixteenth off center to the left and one to the right . Then I do all the working of the hole myself . He is a good friend of mine so I get away with using his tools . What it does is make an oval hole witch is perfect for my flat thumb . If you look into it , Mark Roth also did this .It works for me .

Something to think about is trying a thumb slug with the built in vent hole, to save having to drill it.

Strike Domination
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
For getting a copy of my drill sheet, I probably could do that, even though I know some aspects of my grip. I think my driller would charge someone who asked for that though, only because of the fact that you can getting drilling done by online stores now.

I get thumb slugs with the vent holes in them but I don't think they really work since I normally have a "suction" sound when I put my thumb in and take it out. More so when it's first drilled though.

Playbowl, I'm basing the accuracy of my span off the test that says inserting your thumb and laying your fingers across the holes with the hand relaxed(not scruched or stretched) should have the midway point between the first two joints of the fingers in line with the leading edge of the hole(finger grip in my case). It seems right to me, but that depends on if I'm really doing the test right. If anything I thought I could afford to go shorter. When my driller re-fit me probably around 6 months ago, he did have me at 4 1/4 for both fingers, but when I went to insert my thumb the ring finger wanted to "lift" up in the hole like it wanted to come out so we shortened it to 4 1/8. My driller put me at 1/8 forward when we did this, it was going to be 1/16 forward before we shortened the ring.

From the sounds of things, you're saying every aspect of the grip is interrelated. My driller seems to agree with that quite a bit, in the sense that he tries to get the finger pitches and thumb pitch working together. He hates forward pitch in the fingers especially with forward pitch in the thumb. The idea of finger pitches is to have the pads of your fingers in good contact with the front of the holes isn't it? I agree about needing to know how to adjust thumb snugness, I'm just not sure how snug is considered correct. I don't think you should have to work to get your thumb in but I don't think you should be able to slide the thumb in and out without feeling anything either(if that makes sense).

For the free swing and relaxed grip on the ball, I don't think my driller will be hearing that. He does say the shoulder should be free. We had a brief conversation about the ball slipping from my thumb and he said it's because I'm not under the ball. But neither is Michael Fagan and probably other successful bowlers. I mentioned that I freed up my swing earlier in the year and he seemed to advise against just letting the ball fall into the swing like I was doing. He also says you have to apply pressure to the ball to keep it on your hand but there have been a couple of times where he told me to relax the hand "from the apex of the swing." His exact words. I had recently come across the idea of setting the thumb, and that seems to help with the thumb slipping. For that to work though, I think I need only a little bit of bevel.

Just curious, what's your view on the Bevel Sander and its use? My driller uses it an awful lot and it seems like too much, both on the inside of the hole and for beveling. I think it'd be much easier to drill more cuts and just do a few hits with the sander.

playbowl
06-07-2009, 08:30 AM
SD
A copy of your drill sheet is a good thing to have and should be updated at least every year but more like every 6 months and yes, be prepared to spend some money for this. I will freely give my loyal customers the specs for their hand for emergencies like lost equipment with airlines. Unfortunately the sheets become obsolete because your hand changes so quickly. Example: You have a ball that fits perfect and you average 225 in league this year and all is good. Over the summer your driller punches another ball for you with say 1/4" more reverse in the fingers to keep your fingers from lifting out. You roll the ball and it feels great all summer and you average 225. In the fall you go back to the original ball and it hangs up and doesn't feel right. Your hand has adapted and if it "feels" right to you, update the older ball. This is why a good relationship with the pro shop is essential. I am glad to see the two of you working together. It will take time to work out the kinks but always keep in mind that sores on the hand and hanging up are NOT part of bowling.
As for the rest of your questions above, if your driller is a coach, great. If not, find one that can work with BOTH of you to resolve issues with your bowling and listen to them only. Too often, and we all do it, we get a tip or buy the hottest ball on the market and the scores suffer because it isn't in harmony with the overall program. Bowling takes time, effort and money. You hold the key to your bowling better and working with those you trust will pay future dividends.

"We had a brief conversation about the ball slipping from my thumb and he said it's because I'm not under the ball."

Absolutely!

bowl1820
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Heres something that might be of interest you.

http://www.askthebowler.com/measuring_span.html

Strike Domination
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Playbowl, my driller is not certified but he is somewhat young and bowling is his life. I think he keeps up to date on what works in today's game and all that. I've worked with him for the past year, once I learned the real importance of good fit, to achieve that good fit. He's drilled my stuff for the last 4 years probably. I've stuck with him on loyalty alone, and we're pretty much buddies.

About the thumb slipping, I'm referring to the bottom of the swing on the way back. At the top, it seems to me that I get in a stronger position as it descends. Probably a straight wrist position. I find it very hard to not have my hand on top of the ball after dropping it into the swing, unless I control the heck out of it. I think what my driller was getting at was the force of the ball and gravity is pulling my wrist back at that point. So I'd have to slow down the swing or something.

bowl1820, is that how the span should be checked? I thought that was outdated. Ron Clifton in particular says the span should be checked the way I described.

Jord_84
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM

While I think it would be nice not to have to grip the ball(and sort of scary at the same time), since I tend to have a lot of problems with my thumb rubbing in the hole and causing irritation/tenderness, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that someone could do that. I know basically nothing about physics, but the weight of the ball when you drop it in the swing seems like more than enough for it to fall off your hand. That is, unless maybe if you make the thumb hole tight, then I'd be worried about having a clean release.

I don't grip the ball, and I have a very clean, consistent release. I use a thumb slug in all of my balls and I have the pro shop guys drill them a little loose, as my thumb has a tendency to swell a little. To be honest, I couldn't tell you how I do it....it's not something I ever think about because it's a non issue for me. Once I get my hand in comfortably, I relax my hand.....the only part I grip, are my fingertips....I want them to almost snap out of the ball on my release because I get more revs.

....but if I go without bowling for any length of time....my thumb shrinks, then I'm in trouble lol

MH1313
06-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I get a constant callus/split skin at the base of my thumb on the inside of the bottom joint (closest to palm) I've had my span adjusted and increased the bevel, both of which helped, but didn't solve the problem. I think that I may be knuckling the ball which I think with what I've been reading could cause this.

I can typically bowl 10 games or so, but the thumb will be pretty sore for a few days.

mh

bowl1820
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
bowl1820, is that how the span should be checked? I thought that was outdated. Ron Clifton in particular says the span should be checked the way I described.

No I just offer it as some more reference material in regard to the topic of fitting.

The best suggestion is to get a second opinion form another pro-shop on the fit of your grip. You can't really diagnose a fit problem online. You need someone who can really sit there and look at how you hold the ball and how it fits.

one other suggestion is since your wanting a oval thumb hole. You might try a oval thumb insert, That's what I use.

See examples here (http://www.viseinserts.com/thumb.html)

Strike Domination
06-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Jord, might I ask what your span and pitches are if you know them? Also if you could describe how snug you keep your thumb hole the best you can that might help. Something for me to compare to is always nice.

bowl1820, I agree that I could get a second opinion. I went to Vegas last summer and got refitted and redrilled. The guys at K&K are the ones that put me at 4 1/4 and 4 1/8 to begin with. They put my thumb pitches at 0 and 0. I tried the Magic Carpet shortly after that for a limited time and thought that if I had 1/8 forward I wouldn't have to grip much at all. Unfortunately that's with the MC and for some reason I don't feel like the same rules apply without it.

I have tried a Vinyl oval insert before, not sure if I like it. Mostly because it irritates a spot on the back of my thumb between the two knuckles, but it's kind of a weird feel to. Could be too tacky also.

Strike Domination
06-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Another question I have regarding the grip. When you go to put your thumb in after the fingers, should your thumb be able to stay straight or should you have to bend it some in order to get it in? Just wondering because I think that's sort of a good test to know if your vertical pitch is correct.